Manafon deluxe edition - too expensive??

From Brilliant Trees through Died In The Wool...

Re: Manafon deluxe edition - too expensive??

Postby DeMarkov on Tue Sep 22, 2009 8:37 am

sakurafleur wrote:i don't mind the cost of the actual deluxe edition, but i do mind the price of the shipping. they charged me $12 to ship within the united states, yet the postage on the package said $2.11. it was wrapped in a flimsy piece of bubble wrap and put in a barely padded envelope. it's a wonder that the box set didn't get damaged really.

i just don't like being made to feel like an idiot.

oh, that sounds strange indeed. $ 10.00 for "handling"?
but, at least you have one... :?
DeMarkov
Regular
Regular

Postby Simonp on Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:22 am

Manafon, Manafon where are you hiding?

Well I still havent received my copy from Samadhi...a little bit disappointing I have to say.

:?
MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby sakurafleur on Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:39 am

DeMarkov wrote:but, at least you have one... :?

this is true. i feel bad about complaining about it really, but it sounds like someone needs to have strong words with the distributor on all counts.
- it is as it should be -
sakurafleur
Regular
Regular

Postby DeMarkov on Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:09 am

sakurafleur wrote:this is true. i feel bad about complaining about it really, but it sounds like someone needs to have strong words with the distributor on all counts.

haha, it seems so.

so what do you say? is it worth the money?
DeMarkov
Regular
Regular

Postby sakurafleur on Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:46 am

well, it was expensive, there is no denying. maybe too expensive for what it is... but it was worth it to me i guess.

having said that, i am not a big fan of the actual album, except for the last 3rd of 'emily dickinson'. it was hard going, uncomfortable and i thought he'd moved on (emotionally) from blemish.
- it is as it should be -
sakurafleur
Regular
Regular

Postby fletchertronics on Wed Sep 23, 2009 4:56 am

Hurrah! My Manafon 'deluxe edition' just arrived :-)

I'm in the UK, and the good news re: import tax is that Samadhi have described the package contents (on the customs label) as a "book" to the value of $20, meaning that there was NO extra charge! Well done to Samadhi for doing this, as it means that overseas customers won't be stung with additional costs.

It all looks very lovely folks - I shall savour the contents later...
fletchertronics
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Simonp on Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:45 am

Nice one Lee...hopefully my copy will arrive today! Enjoy it mate!
MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Haldeman Gracie on Wed Sep 23, 2009 6:41 am

fletchertronics wrote:Hurrah! My Manafon 'deluxe edition' just arrived :-)

I'm in the UK, and the good news re: import tax is that Samadhi have described the package contents (on the customs label) as a "book" to the value of $20, meaning that there was NO extra charge! Well done to Samadhi for doing this, as it means that overseas customers won't be stung with additional costs.

It all looks very lovely folks - I shall savour the contents later...

Great news for UK buyers. I definitely made a big mistake by going through amazon.co.uk instead. You live and learn. Enjoy!
Haldeman Gracie
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby hego on Wed Sep 23, 2009 9:58 am

Order no 29 # is arrived today. Living in the Netherlands. Listen too this in 5.1 DTS. Sit in the middle and enjoy the bleeps, scratches, sounds of music flows and swirling around. And that voice. One missed chance the video of Small Metal Gods as bonus. Next job for Steven Wilson remixing his old work in 5.1
hego
Regular
Regular

Postby DeMarkov on Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:21 am

sakurafleur wrote:well, it was expensive, there is no denying. maybe too expensive for what it is... but it was worth it to me i guess.

having said that, i am not a big fan of the actual album, except for the last 3rd of 'emily dickinson'. it was hard going, uncomfortable and i thought he'd moved on (emotionally) from blemish.

as i like blemish a lot and i'm really into the new one, too, it makes me more driving to get a hand on a copy of the limited edition... unbelievable how fast it was gone...
DeMarkov
Regular
Regular

Postby Chet on Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:50 am

the deluxe is nice indeed, but not fantastic.
i do like the work of ruud van empel
and amplified gesture is worth watching, once.
i still can't say if i prefer listening to this one in 5.1
And my heart sings of many things
Chet
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby zen42 on Mon Oct 05, 2009 6:15 am

hi everybody,

I am new on this forum and I just wanted to add my two cents. one hour ago I received my deluxe edition and I am glad that I decided to order one. as I do work for an agency who also does a lot of graphic works I do not know how someone can say that this edition is too expensive. as mentioned before by others of this forum there are so many steps to put such an edition togehter. yes, the production costs itself are not so high but putting two books together with artwork, photography, text, the art direction itself, the film, the interviews, the travelling costs, the actual booking of the studio etc., these are the real costs, and I am doubting that ds is making a lot of money out of this unless he sells more than 2000 copies.

even if ds should have the abilities to do a lot of these works by himself, it is quite some work and hundreds and hundreds of hours have to be spent on such project. just the signed print of ds is sold by other artist for more than 85 €.

however, I have made the experience that in our society people tend to think that certain thinks need to be for free or almost free. how many of us spent this kind of money on a weekend going out. anyway, I find the music is very interesting and the deluxe edition is worth while its money. I personally enjoy to have the different mediums such as music, film, painting and graphic artwork put together in this edition. this edition is a prove to me that david seems to enjoy his work.
zen42
Noob
Noob

Postby tinpot on Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:22 am

I am still waiting for my deluxe copy which shipped on the 16th September. Am i the only one who is still waiting :(
tinpot

Postby TrangLee on Fri Oct 09, 2009 6:51 am

:cry:
I wish I wasn't a totaly broke student...
I am new here :"> And I can't speak English very well.
TrangLee
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby inkinthewell on Fri Oct 09, 2009 9:59 am

tinpot wrote:I am still waiting for my deluxe copy which shipped on the 16th September. Am i the only one who is still waiting :(

Be patient one more week. Mine was shipped on the 9th of September and I got it on the 7th of October.
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - JL 1940-1980
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

PreviousNext

Return to Solo Work