Manafon deluxe edition - too expensive??

From Brilliant Trees through Died In The Wool...

Manafon deluxe edition - too expensive??

Postby Simonp on Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:30 am

It seems like its not the music which is splitting the camps at the moment but the cost of the deluxe edition. Some people think its way too expensive for what it is. I'm just curious as to who has ordered it (or not) and who thinks that it's expensive (or not as the case may be)

I for one don't think it's particularly expensive for what it is. I've always been interested in Sylvian's special editions such as Ember Glance, Weatherbox, The Franciscan portrait. Given that the deluxe set contains a CD, DVD and 2 hard back books designed by Chris Bigg all contained within a slipcase, is it REALLY that pricey?
MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Re: Manafon deluxe edition - too expensive??

Postby neonico on Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:38 am

ok i found it expensive because i had to scrape my last pennys to buy it but that doesnt have anything to do with the fact that the contents and everything that comes with is worth the price.
neonico

Postby tracycowell on Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:13 am

its too exspensive for ME, but no doubt it will be gorgeous. And if i don't get it and its a limited edition i will be sad :(
Ask yourself: Do I know who I am? Perform sincere self-inquiry, and find the permanent solution to all of life’s problems. — Amma
tracycowell
Regular
Regular

Postby baht habit on Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:18 am

Simonp wrote:It seems like its not the music which is splitting the camps at the moment but the cost of the deluxe edition. Some people think its way too expensive for what it is. I'm just curious as to who has ordered it (or not) and who thinks that it's expensive (or not as the case may be). I for one don't think it's particularly expensive for what it is. Given that the deluxe set contains a CD, DVD and 2 hard back books designed by Chris Bigg all contained within a slipcase, is it REALLY that pricey?

I ordered the deluxe edition without any hesitation at all. In my opinion, the price seems appropriate for the grand amount of content being offered.
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby jon abbey on Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:26 am

is the DVD with Amplified Gesture only available as part of the deluxe edition? if that's true, which I think it is, that seems to go against the philosophies of the musicians portrayed in the film.
jon abbey
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Simonp on Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:45 am

jon abbey wrote:is the DVD with Amplified Gesture only available as part of the deluxe edition? if that's true, which I think it is, that seems to go against the philosophies of the musicians portrayed in the film.

their philosophies being?
MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby marcello09 on Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:40 am

Been awhile since I posted here... not sure if anyone remembers me... but "hello" to those who do!

I was very put off by the deluxe set pricing. I decided not to order anything at all. It all seems a bit ostentatious coming from an artist who appears to eschew such things, and a bit thoughtless at a time when so many of us are worried about where our next paycheck is coming from.

It looks like a lot of time and effort went in to the DVD, and the musicians involved are probably hoping that it will reach as wide an audience as possible. I expect they're disappointed to see that it's only available as part of a limited-edition luxury item (as jon abbey seems to be suggesting).

My advice to Samadhisound: give us a third option. Package the CD with the DVD, leave out the books, and charge us forty-something dollars. With shipping costs that'll be fifty dollars. Better yet, sell the DVD as a separate item.

IMHO, a mistake has been made. But it's not too late to correct it.
marcello09
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby sisterlondon on Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:18 pm

I think it's a tad too expensive, but still probably worth. My problem is that the cd doesn't seem much a thing I'll listen to a lot. So the regular will be... Sure that the books are great tho!
sisterlondon
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Tin Bird on Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:21 pm

I don't know...mixed feelings here. On one hand, it IS a LOT of $ to spend...but, it does seem like a very nice package. Sylvian is well known for lavish/artful projects ie Ember Glance, Weatherbox, Damage... I guess like the music itself, I will hold out judgement until I have the set in my hands. I wish the T shirts came in XXL (I'm 6'2", 200 lbs) as I can't fit in anything much smaller! :oops:
When I cannot sing my heart...I can only speak my mind...
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby qdes on Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:35 pm

I ordered the deluxe edition but won't make any judgements before I've glanced it through.
qdes
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby becky on Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:42 pm

I think it's probably a fair price for all that it contains, but alas it's way beyond my budget capabilities at the moment :smt022 (though I keep getting tempted to just bung it on my credit card :? but I'm trying desperately hard to be sensible and good at the moment :smt059 - Just out of curiosity, Is anyone thinking of going to the premier of the film at the ICA?
becky
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Adrian on Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:56 pm

about a comment earlier - David does not eschew luxury or expensive items or 'artworks' - the man wears Prada ffs.
Right, about the deluxe edition being too expensive - depends on how many copies are made. Typically I would expect at most about 5.000 - and that would make it expensive to make per copy. Normal books should cost about 1/6th of the retail price to make and I think that won't be the case here (they'll be more expensive, up to 30 buck for each package). Plus it's quite heavy so expensive to ship securely (so they don't get damaged). That's the practical side. So I don't feel it's expensive - for what we get.
What we get is the new cd - plus lots of nice artwork (well I think so) AND lyrics (for once); a dvd - with different artwork and so on. All housed in two books, housed in a slipcase. No hesitation from me I have to say. But then I don't have to buy the 6 cd + dvd 40 year In The Court Of The Crimson King...
Having said all that of course it's not nice if you want this and can't afford it - I hope that's not the case for a lot of people.
Peace, Adrian
Adrian
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby jon abbey on Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:11 pm

marcello09 wrote:It looks like a lot of time and effort went in to the DVD, and the musicians involved are probably hoping that it will reach as wide an audience as possible. I expect they're disappointed to see that it's only available as part of a limited-edition luxury item (as jon abbey seems to be suggesting).

I'm just speaking for myself, but I do think that some might be a bit disappointed, and I agree that the third option possibility you mention would make a lot of sense.
jon abbey
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby missouriman on Sun Aug 16, 2009 1:26 pm

Poor Tin Bird. I also need a bigger t-shirt. 215lbs and 6'5". Want to go halves on one?... Maybe not, eh? $105 is a nasty paper cut for anything musical. My guitar didn't cost that much!
missouriman
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby neonico on Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:47 pm

marcello09 wrote:Been awhile since I posted here... not sure if anyone remembers me... but "hello" to those who do!

I was very put off by the deluxe set pricing. I decided not to order anything at all. It all seems a bit ostentatious coming from an artist who appears to eschew such things, and a bit thoughtless at a time when so many of us are worried about where our next paycheck is coming from.

It looks like a lot of time and effort went in to the DVD, and the musicians involved are probably hoping that it will reach as wide an audience as possible. I expect they're disappointed to see that it's only available as part of a limited-edition luxury item (as jon abbey seems to be suggesting).

My advice to Samadhisound: give us a third option. Package the CD with the DVD, leave out the books, and charge us forty-something dollars. With shipping costs that'll be fifty dollars. Better yet, sell the DVD as a separate item.

IMHO, a mistake has been made. But it's not too late to correct it.

i think the price justifies it self as Keith Rowe said himself " what david pays for his artists on samadhisound, is david were this concerns very generous and kind" long live the artists on samadhisound and they are not degree this and studied that david excepts them for what they are (beautiful sound) im glad to contribute my money for the artists on samadhisound even when i have to eat baked beans for the next month and im bloody skinny at that. :shock: :shock:
neonico

Next

Return to Solo Work