Manafon - first thoughts...

From Brilliant Trees through Died In The Wool...

Re: Manafon - first thoughts...

Postby missouriman on Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:29 pm

I am pretty sure "Jacqueline" was something he did ages ago. It sounds ok, but a little off his best. I bet he can write stuff like that in his sleep. Dreaming of those lemon trees, no doubt.
missouriman
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby barryinstockholm on Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:40 pm

From his site:

The track is a demo version of a song which will be recorded in earnest later this year.

So one must assume it's still of interest to him.

Perhaps he'll match it to that beautiful ballad Fripp contributed to so many years ago...?
barryinstockholm
Regular
Regular

Postby fletchertronics on Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:30 am

I have listened to the Manafon samples once, and even then I skipped forward before they finished. Not because I didn't like what I heard; on the contrary I love it and look forward to the album immensely. However I don't want to diminish the first full play-through, and to a point I regret playing the samples...

When I heard Blemish for the first time it was in its entirety, and what an experience that was! :-) This is the best way to absorb music of this nature IMO. I'm a little surprised that he's put so many snippets up, though given the long wait and current burst of pre-release marketing I suppose it's par for the course.
fletchertronics
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Simonp on Mon Aug 17, 2009 6:52 am

I must admit I'm more than pleasantly surprised at how much I like the clips. I was expecting something far more "out there" in terms of sound and style. I listened to the longer clip of Snow White in Appalachia (on the Samadhi shop page) this morning and it's simply beautiful. I can't wait to listen to the album in the comfort of my living room with the lights dimmed low and my headphones on.

in my opinion I don't think its as difficult a listen as Blemish. Those Derek Bailey tracks were just unlistenable to me.
MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby digimarsh on Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:35 am

Having listened to the samples ,i am quite pleased that David has continued to follow the theme he began with Blemish,
as opposed to maybe creating something more in the nine horses mold which he could have done.Hopefully the band will continue to florish and we can enjoy Davids vastly different solo work.Looking forward to getting the full album and experiencing it for the first time.
digimarsh
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby qdes on Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:02 am

I think a perfect way to prepare for Manafon is to listen the music who contributer for the record, Polwecshel for example. That is if you don't want to be spoiled by the snippets.
qdes
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby baht habit on Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:12 am

qdes wrote:I think a perfect way to prepare for Manafon is to listen the music who contributer for the record, Polwecshel for example.

That is an excellent suggestion, qdes....an idea that I have been recommending for the past year or so. :twisted: I had also often suggested that checking out the creative artists on Erstwhile Records would be extremely beneficial.
I thought such a recommendation would help better acclimate listeners to the sounds they could expect to hear on Manafon. I tend to believe that the majority of members here actually heeded a portion of my advice because for the most part, we are not yet experiencing the shock and awe that may have run rampant among those who were expecting to hear something akin to Nine Horses, Dead Bees, or music reminiscent of the 80s releases.
And I have done my best to avoid listening to any snippets as well - though I admit that I did give a listen to the full track Small Metal Gods. Overall, I want to hear the songs in their entirety. Yet I am not sure if I will be able to maintain such discipline for the next month. :oops:
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby qdes on Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:19 am

baht habit wrote:
qdes wrote:I think a perfect way to prepare for Manafon is to listen the music who contributer for the record, Polwecshel for example.

That is an excellent suggestion, qdes....an idea that I have been recommending for the past year or so. :twisted: I had also often suggested that checking out the creative artists on Erstwhile Records would be extremely beneficial.

Well then, recommend me some!

I've listened to Wrapped Islands a lot. And a lot of Fennesz's solo stuff of course. Any other suggestions?
qdes
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Adrian on Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:11 pm

just out on Erstwhile Records is 'Contact', a two disc set of Keith Rowe and Sachiko M; 2 hours spread over four tracks. Absolutely fantastic though maybe not to everyone's liking. And on HatHut there's the disc Polwechsel did with Tilbury, called 'Field'. Also highly recommended, but maybe not everyone's cup of tea. I don't think it's tea to be honest, but another tasty beverage...
By the way, both are fantastic in their own right, not just to prepare you for Sylvian. In fact, it might even be the other way round - if you get what I mean.
And the reason no-one has gone ape-shit over Manafon yet is because we know it's a step beyond Blemish (which had no samples put up and no long amount of time between first info and release), and because not a lot of people have heard the full album yet - just the snippets.
Adrian
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby jon abbey on Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:36 pm

actually, the records I'd recommend initially would be the three listed below. the Wire piece on Sylvian also namechecks these as the closest releases to Manafon, before Manafon existed.

EL003: Burkhard Stangl/Christof Kurzmann - schnee_live
EP001: The Magic I.D. (Margareth Kammerer/Christof Kurzmann/Kai Fagaschinski/Michael Thieke) till my breath gives out
EP002: Christof Kurzmann/Burkhard Stangl neuschnee

if you want an all-instrumental one, Keith Rowe/John Tilbury-Duos for Doris is a much better place to jump in than 'Contact' or 'Field'. e-mail or PM me if you're interested, and I'm happy to help you figure out some selections based on your taste.
jon abbey
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby fletchertronics on Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:33 pm

I have an alternative idea: Don't "prepare". Simply put the record on and allow it to impact on your ears for what it is...

There's something quite exciting about hearing a new album for the first time, particularly a David Sylvian album, and experiencing it fresh-out-of-the-can. Just a thought :-)
fletchertronics
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby digimarsh on Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:21 pm

I must admit that i think that its better probably to have no preconceptions about the new work and discover for yourself
upon your first experience of listening to it.The problem for me was that upon visiting the lovely new web site it was impossible to ignore the samples on offer,a bit like a child sneeking a peak at his christmas presents hidden in the parents wardrobe i suppose.
digimarsh
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby neonico on Mon Aug 17, 2009 2:41 pm

digimarsh wrote:I must admit that i think that its better probably to have no preconceptions about the new work and discover for yourself
upon your first experience of listening to it.The problem for me was that upon visiting the lovely new web site it was impossible to ignore the samples on offer,a bit like a child sneeking a peak at his christmas presents hidden in the parents wardrobe i suppose.

i find your first perception of the site very sweet im also childllike seeking and yearning for something new.

yes the new site i find also espiring and the mp3s amazing.
Last edited by neonico on Tue Aug 18, 2009 2:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
neonico

Postby digimarsh on Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:33 pm

to be honest , due to the fact we hold Davids work in such high regard its the way it makes many of us feel, every new project gives me a real sense of excitment,even after 26 years of listening, thanks for the kind comments
digimarsh
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Blemished on Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:34 pm

While I admire those who are disciplined enough to wait for the CD in all its uncompressed glory, I have to say that I'm loving the chance to establish some initial familiarity with the new material.

It has a very distinct atmosphere and style of its own that takes a little getting used to. But once you move beyond the initial shock it really seems a very, very exciting direction that he's taken.

I really think Samadhi have been very clever in letting the more impatient of us work our way in through the mp3s and full length versions of SMG & SWIA, leaving us chomping at the bit for the 14th!

On a more controversial note, I now think he's been very generous with writing credits - based on the samples (which may be misleading) most of the song structure & melody comes from his voice. The music is wonderful as texture but it is not really a composition at all - can atmospheres without any structure be counted as the same as what DS has created? Tricky...
Blemished
Site Owner
Site Owner

PreviousNext

Return to Solo Work