Manafon - first thoughts...

From Brilliant Trees through Died In The Wool...

Re: Manafon - first thoughts...

Postby Paperback Jack on Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:43 pm

Click on the fox image at the bottom of each Manafon.com page. Down the foxhole... I wonder if there are any other escape routes on the site?
Paperback Jack
Regular
Regular

Postby Paperback Jack on Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:47 pm

Try the deer on davidsylvian.com! Curiouser and curiouser...
Paperback Jack
Regular
Regular

Postby Tin Bird on Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:51 pm

Snow White in Appalachia sounds very promising!
When I cannot sing my heart...I can only speak my mind...
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Crickett on Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:11 am

It's really very difficlut to base an opinion on sound bites.... I have to listen to the album in its entirety before I can make any true or valid judgement calls, especially knowing this is the "sister piece to blemish"....... but from what I have heard I'm curious why his voice is so high in the mix... I wish his voice was more settled, balanced and one with the music and sonic landscapes, it almost drowns everything else out. I for one Love Blemish!!!! But from what I have heard of Manafon the sound bites.. The Rabbit Skinner and The Department of Dead Letters seem to be the best in my opinion..... I really like the cover art as well!!!! I just hope in 6 months the remix version of Manafon is NOT made.. I'm really looking forward to hearing more new and fresh MUSIC from David..... Fingers Crossed!!!!! Anyone know if Nine Horses will have a second album????

Crickett
Crickett
Regular
Regular

Postby Adrian on Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:04 am

I hope not ;-) as much as I love Nine Horses I've always felt it was a step back from Blemish; and now that he's taken a (granted, not as big as I thought) step forward from Blemish...
Anyway, I wasn't going to listen to the samples but I couldn't help myself. What I heard sounds very promising - I like the lyrics, I love his voice (which seems to have a slightly cracked quality to it in places), and I like the way the voice is juxtaposed (is that the word?) to the music, so you get all these weird improv thingies in the background when he sings, and then in the foreground when he doesn't.
I've been waiting so long for this kind of music and now it's here - it's only snippets at the moment but I was nearly in tears last night listening to them - Emily Dickinson would be my favorite at the moment, if I had to choose...
Peace - Adrian
Adrian
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby FlyingPig on Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:13 am

sisterlondon wrote:I liked Jacqueline a lot better than the Manafon samples really... :(

*btw, I keep searching for a Jacqueline download...* :wink:

The album might be remixed into something more palatable.

P.
FlyingPig
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby pradakid900 on Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:01 am

Pelle wrote:it's too much analyzing and words...just listen to the songs...either you like or not...it's very simple, really...

For the simple minded, perhaps. My advice to you: don't ever pick up a book or (god forbid) try to read one, stay away from any instituion (or other means) of learning and opinion-expressing forums like this one. You obviously don't and won't understand, but don't rain on our parade. May I suggest Top 40 for you...much more simple. Carry on.
pradakid900
Regular
Regular

Postby Simonp on Sun Aug 16, 2009 11:15 am

pradakid900 wrote:
Pelle wrote:it's too much analyzing and words...just listen to the songs...either you like or not...it's very simple, really...

For the simple minded, perhaps. My advice to you: don't ever pick up a book or (god forbid) try to read one, stay away from any instituion (or other means) of learning and opinion-expressing forums like this one. You obviously don't and won't understand, but don't rain on our parade. May I suggest Top 40 for you...much more simple. Carry on.

erm..that's a bit strong and uncalled for. my advice to you would be to grow up a little?
MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Adrian on Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:58 pm

yeah come on guys - keep it friendly please!
Adrian
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby FlyingPig on Sun Aug 16, 2009 2:45 pm

Simonp wrote:
pradakid900 wrote:

erm..that's a bit strong and uncalled for. my advice to you would be to grow up a little?

Interesting!!! Manafon is polarizing the fanbase.
FlyingPig
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby missouriman on Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:37 pm

The days of "Orpheus" are over. No more "Silver Moon" ever. "Red Guitar" is a no-no. Anybody who hoped for sing a longs must be sadly misinformed. Nine Horses is your only hope and I have the feeling that won't happen again. Manafon-ish songs are where he is at. Suck it up like lemon juice.
missouriman
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Crickett on Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:43 pm

David is like a shape-shifting chameleon.... he never stays with one style or approach for too long... cause if he did he would stop growing... I really feel that Manafon is one of many of David's Musically Perspectives, the album was a project that he had been working on sporadically off and on for years,it is the sister piece of Blemish, so I feel that it falls into the style... I'm sure he has several other suprises up his sleeve to sonically dazzle us with that will take Us somewhere new and exciting...
Crickett
Regular
Regular

Postby barryinstockholm on Sun Aug 16, 2009 3:52 pm

If Manafon style improv is the only place he's at, how do you explain Jacqueline?
barryinstockholm
Regular
Regular

Postby Crickett on Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:14 pm

Exactly!!!! So how 'bout those Lemons???? :D
Crickett
Regular
Regular

Postby neonico on Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:29 pm

i like lemons :mrgreen: :mrgreen: