When we return, you won't recognise us

From Brilliant Trees through Died In The Wool...

When we return, you won't recognise us

Postby Blemished on Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:55 am

Hi all

Great, great interview in 'The Wire'.

Anybody know anything about the installation soundtrack (When we return, you won'te recognise us) mentioned at the end of the article? It states that DS worked with saxophonist John Butcher and AMM percussionist Eddie Prevost on the piece.

2 other random thoughts...

1) I found the description of him living alone in the New England forest since 2005 with his daughters as the only regular vistors quite poignant. I'm sure it's not, but it made me think someone should pop around and make him a cup of tea once in a while!

2) Am currently reading David Stubb's pamphlet book Fear of music: why people get Rothko but don't get Stockhausen. Quite coincidentally this has quite a lot of detail on the "improv" scene...AMM, Rowe, Bailey et al. Helps put the area DS is interacting with in context.
Blemished
Site Owner
Site Owner

Re: When we return, you won't recognise us

Postby Simonp on Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:59 am

When we return....sounds quite interesting. Anything else you can tell us about the interview?
MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Blemished on Wed Aug 12, 2009 9:21 am

What else...interesting comments about the writing process...recorded the music...left it alone...then listened to it and wrote the lyrics/melody some time after - a kind of delayed, solo, improvisation (that is my attempt to summarise)...

...deluxe edition will have surround sound 5.1 mix...

...some comments about touring..regretted touring Blemish (became too rigid/repetitive given limits of way could play material)...regretted TWIE tour...was right in the middle of Manafon and struggled to re-connect with the old stuff...("on a bad night I felt like a complete fraud")...so doesn't sound like touring is on the cards for a long while....
Blemished
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby baht habit on Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:32 am

Blemished wrote:Hi all

Great, great interview in 'The Wire'.

Anybody know anything about the installation soundtrack (When we return, you won'te recognise us) mentioned at the end of the article? It states that DS worked with saxophonist John Butcher and AMM percussionist Eddie Prevost on the piece.

Perhaps Jon Abbey will be able to gather more information regarding this particular project...
I had previously been misinformed that Butcher was to be a contributor to Manafon and Mr Abbey was under the impression that Prevost had contributed as well. This seems to neatly explain whatever information we were receiving. I do certainly hope this work also gets released at some point in the future.
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Paperback Jack on Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:20 am

He does have a habit of following a vocal album with it's instrumental 'shadow' ('Alchemy', 'Approaching Silence', 'Loud Weather', etc). So perhaps we can expect this next year?
Paperback Jack
Regular
Regular

Postby sonic_chronicler on Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:37 pm

I haven't seen The Wire interview yet, but I typed your thread title into Google and it came up with one match.

A page from The London College Of Music. The page concerned Steve D'Agostini who worked on the John Foxx/Steve Jansen release 'A Secret Life' It doesn't say much but mentions he mixed Manafon for Surround sound in Dec. 2008

It then says (much further down)"David Sylvian, Sound Art Installation: When we Return, You Won't Recognise Us - 5.1 Surrouns Sound Mastering & Authoring 2009."

I'll be glad to see Sylvian entering the Surround Sound arena. I would really like to hear 'Mothlight' in Surround.

Sonic
sonic_chronicler
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Adrian on Thu Aug 13, 2009 2:19 am

I still can't be bothered to hook up all 5 speakers. I watch films through the tv speakers and listen to music mostly on headphones...
Mothlight in 5.1 might make me change my mid - but I don't think David will revisit his past to upgrade everything. He's not Robert 'again again again again again' Fripp... :-)
Adrian
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby baht habit on Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:07 pm

Thanks for the info Sonic.

Included in the biography (written by Chris Dahlen, my 'inside source' throughout :wink: ) on the redesigned site:

In 2009, Sylvian collaborated with composer Dai Fujikura and a small ensemble on the audio installation “When we return you won’t recognize us,” located on Gran Canaria of the Canary Islands. The work was inspired by a 2003 genetics research article focusing on the Canary Islands, which discovered that despite Spanish colonization and the slave trade, fully half to three-quarters of the population retains its aboriginal genetic lineage. As Sylvian writes, “My interest lay in the connection between the physical or scientific reality of our biological make-up, the links to lineage (genetic genealogy), location and, to move beyond the realm of science into intuitive logic, the interior life of a community or people. An implied cultural heritage.”

So this most likely is the project which was being worked on with the string quartet in the photograph on Fujikura's website.
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby banyan on Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:19 pm

Here's a link to the Bienal de canarias webiste

http://www.bienaldecanarias.org/en/imme ... ositions_I

plus an article in spanish about david and his contribution to this project.

http://www.elmundo.es/papel/2009/03/04/ ... 06724.html

A quick go on the translator gives you and idea to the music created.
banyan
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby sisterlondon on Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:49 am

I'm in Spain and heard nothing about this, go figure...
sisterlondon
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Return to Solo Work