David and Ingrid go head to head..

From Brilliant Trees through Died In The Wool...

Re: David and Ingrid go head to head..

Postby camphorvan on Mon Aug 10, 2009 6:54 am

inkinthewell wrote:Glad to see Missouriman and Camphorvan have buried the hatchet. To celebrate that, and to use my daily allowance of free speech, just a few words on the real story behind John Boorman's 'Deliverance', as I'm sure not many of you know it:

Burt Reynolds' character is gay (and if you don't believe me just look at him in his leather jacket: JC! he looks like one of the Village People!). He's got a crush on Jon Voight, who isn't really interested but loves canoeing; so, Burt organizes a canoeing trip to the woods hoping to convince Jon it's alright to paddle your own canoe, but it's better to have someone close behind your back.
In the end, Burt does get what he set out for, but, as he gets it from the hillbillies and not from gorgeous blond Jonnie, he feels his week-end is spoilt and is angry like he+ll.
The 'deliverance' is Jon Voight's from Burt's diabolical scheme. Until the next vacation...

No waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!! Really!?
camphorvan
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Drake on Mon Aug 10, 2009 9:13 am

camphorvan wrote:
Drake wrote:Whatever.

There is a tendency that people take the chance to say whatever they like, doing it rather aggressively, hiding behind their laptops. That's sad. And I don't think you can write it off by labeling it free speech. That's making it a bit simple. I'm talking in general terms, but I would hate to see this forum becoming such a place. Not that I think it will.

"Whatever"?! Bit of a weak argument isn't it? However, I agree with you that some people feel that it is fine to say whatever they like without thought and it can sometimes appear aggressive - as did your initial statement. It is easy to misinterpret text as there is no vocal inflection involved - so making a statement as you did without care and minus the nuances of speech can come across as instructional, bullish and rude. On your other points; people are free to discuss what they like within the limits of what is allowable by the site administrators/owners and the law. Similar to life, really, (minus the role of the administrator/owner). I think your observation that 'people hide behind their laptops' is one that suggests conievence, which I wouldn't have imagined any member of this forum would entertain. For myself, I would say exactly what I say here in real life, to anyone's face; but then that's just me. I hope this draws the matter to a close as I have no desire for continued responses - it becomes tedious. Now - perhaps we can get back on track.

Absolutely, back on track :-)
Drake
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Nicrobliz on Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:24 pm

Apart from the 'I Surrender' b-sides, I don't really think much of Ingrid's work. However, I do think she is an extremely beautiful creature. Period.
Nicrobliz
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby gokartmozart on Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:19 pm

I do think it is interesting that her main Myspace page photo looks like she is standing in the Manafon forest cover art (maybe just off to the side? :) )...
"The world is a king, and, like a king, desires flattery in return for a favor; but true art is selfish and perverse - it will not submit to the mold of flattery." Ludwig von Beethoven
gokartmozart
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby neonico on Tue Sep 01, 2009 4:36 pm

gokartmozart wrote:I do think it is interesting that her main Myspace page photo looks like she is standing in the Manafon forest cover art (maybe just off to the side? :) )...

from david

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.c ... D=48378862
neonico

Postby Astronaut on Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:10 pm

Well now, that is interesting. Has she used this image for the official release of the album? Hmmm, I wonder how many people will purchase it just because dear old David took the photos? I can think of at least one person who will - and I don't mean myself.
Image Image Image
MICK KARN APPEAL Donations can be made via:
http://www.mickkarn.net/
Astronaut
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby barryinstockholm on Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:56 pm

Ingrid's new site is up, where you can listen to the first single, watch a video of it, and there are 3 press pics, the third one credited to Isobel Sylvian...It's on!
barryinstockholm
Regular
Regular

Postby Nicrobliz on Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:19 pm

barryinstockholm wrote:Ingrid's new site is up, where you can listen to the first single, watch a video of it, and there are 3 press pics, the third one credited to Isobel Sylvian...It's on!

Yeah, just checked it out. Unfortunately, both the single and video were 'meh'. The video also seemed to have a slight Stina Nordenstam vibe going on (a la 'Little Star').
Nicrobliz
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Tin Bird on Thu Sep 10, 2009 6:46 am

I actually had some remote interest in the Ingrid cd, but after hearing the first single and seeing the video, I definately will be skipping them. Don't like it at all, just not my bag. Sounds very amatuerish and half-baked if you ask me. My 2 cents...
When I cannot sing my heart...I can only speak my mind...
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby missouriman on Thu Sep 10, 2009 9:14 pm

Do we really have to go through this with Ingrid now? We hear one song and condemn the whole project out of hand? Personally, I think she is fab. She had a heck of a struggle dealing with life in the shadow of DS. Give her a chance. I will be buying it. She is not competeing with Manafon. She is simply stating her presence on the music scene again as an artist in her own right. And she has a funny and compassionate side that is so absent in musicians about us. EG: People like Vapor Trail :evil:
missouriman
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Nicrobliz on Fri Sep 11, 2009 4:20 am

missouriman wrote:Do we really have to go through this with Ingrid now? We hear one song and condemn the whole project out of hand? Personally, I think she is fab. She had a heck of a struggle dealing with life in the shadow of DS. Give her a chance. I will be buying it. She is not competeing with Manafon. She is simply stating her presence on the music scene again as an artist in her own right. And she has a funny and compassionate side that is so absent in musicians about us. EG: People like Vapor Trail :evil:

I agree - she certainly is a rare breed of artist (in a good way). However, usually, the first single from any new album is supposed to wet the appetite of the listener. Unfortunately, Ingrid's new single has failed to do that. It does get better with consecutive listens but I, personally, was expecting something more 'out there'. There's simply no 'wow' factor, I'm afraid...
Nicrobliz
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Tin Bird on Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:15 pm

Do we really have to go through this with Ingrid now?

#1 The thread is specifically about this (Ingrid).
#2 She's just releasing a new album.

When would be a better time? Not knocking her personally, just really don't like the video and first single. Heck, the rest of the album might be Sgt. Pepper for all I know.
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Simonp on Sat Sep 12, 2009 2:18 pm

Im actually pleasantly surprised how much I've enjoyed her new single. Not being particularly fond of her contributions to Sylvian's tracks, I've always found her wishy washy vocals annoying but yes, By The Water is really rather good. And my god, what a beautiful woman she is....
MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby missouriman on Sat Sep 12, 2009 5:09 pm

Tin Bird wrote:Do we really have to go through this with Ingrid now?

#1 The thread is specifically about this (Ingrid).
#2 She's just releasing a new album.

When would be a better time? Not knocking her personally, just really don't like the video and first single. Heck, the rest of the album might be Sgt. Pepper for all I know.

May have confused you, Tin Bird. I was referring to the "let's slag Ingrid off after hearing one song" attitude like some did to Sylvian with Small Metal Gods. I love her work and the single is growing on me. It needs 3 or 4 listens. And I am sure the cd will be a little more Sgt.Pepper than Mariah.
missouriman
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Tin Bird on Sat Sep 12, 2009 6:29 pm

Well Missouri, to be honest it doesn't take that much to confuse me so no worries! :D
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Previous

Return to Solo Work