Sylvian in Mojo magazine

From Brilliant Trees through Died In The Wool...

Re: Sylvian in Mojo magazine

Postby missouriman on Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:13 am

The Wire will sell out due to Sylvian on the cover as it always has. Esoteric can mean unlistenable, but Sylvian breaches the divide. Mojo is a toss pot of phelgm. Sorry.
missouriman
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Bern on Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:44 am

"toss pot of phelgm" like it..isn't that a Manafon out take? I can just hear Sylvian clearing his throat now
Bern
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby inkinthewell on Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:29 pm

Bern wrote:"toss pot of phelgm" like it..isn't that a Manafon out take? I can just hear Sylvian clearing his throat now

This reminds me of "Le Crachat" (The Spit) by Léo Ferré. Gooey! :lol:
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - JL 1940-1980
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby ob8 on Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:17 pm

Whilst i agree totally with what has been written about Mojo its just nice to have that feeling of going down the shops even just to buy a magazine with even the smallest titbit about the new release. For me its all welcome despite whether or not its much kop. Mojo aint, The Wire without doubt will be.
ob8
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Adrian on Wed Jul 29, 2009 3:01 am

The Wire has it's head so far up its own backside they can see the cavities in the back teeth. And no, I do like The Wire more than Mojo, but their 'we're so cool and far out there' stance for it's own sake grew tiring years ago.
They still haven't done an in-depth profile on Steven Wilson, which should have happened by now.
So yes, of course will be buying the magazine for the David Toop piece on David (Hey, isn't that the same Toop that released a cd on Samadhi Sound? - yes the very same...), but that's about it.
Adrian
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Simonp on Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:03 pm

Simonp wrote:The ultimate video playlist can be found here
http://www.mojo4music.com/blog/2009/07/ ... layli.html

has anyone actually watched the Manafon teaser clip? What is that feckin din? Please don't tell me that's Keith Rowe "playing" the guitar?
MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby baht habit on Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:39 pm

Simonp wrote:
Simonp wrote:The ultimate video playlist can be found here
http://www.mojo4music.com/blog/2009/07/ ... layli.html

has anyone actually watched the Manafon teaser clip? What is that feckin din? Please don't tell me that's Keith Rowe "playing" the guitar?

As best I know, that particular snippet is from a Christian Fennesz performance.
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Simonp on Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:36 pm

Are you talking about the background noise Baht that comes in halfway through the video?
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby baht habit on Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:30 pm

Simonp wrote:Are you talking about the background noise Baht that comes in halfway through the video?

Yes, the source of the sound to that video was from a concert by Fennesz. It is listed on the youtube clip as this ----audio: Christian Fennesz, A fire in the forest -instrumental- Live Cybersonica 06.19.2003. And that in all likelihood was Fennesz creating some sort of structured sound over a sampling of A Fire In The Forest.
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby FlyingPig on Fri Aug 07, 2009 5:03 am

missouriman wrote:The Wire will sell out due to Sylvian on the cover as it always has. Esoteric can mean unlistenable, but Sylvian breaches the divide. Mojo is a toss pot of phelgm. Sorry.

Oh Good, I've been subscribing yo the Wire for 3 years. for once it might be interesting.

I almost cancelled my subscription twice, I found the articles highly uninteresting but moreover, who the hell are the musicians they are featuring on their frontpage? Most of them are over 65...
But I like the album reviews, it helps me find out about new interesting stuff (that will never make the frontpage).

Enough rambling, that magazine remains the last line of defense against popular music.
FlyingPig
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby baht habit on Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:15 am

FlyingPig wrote:Oh Good, I've been subscribing yo the Wire for 3 years. for once it might be interesting.
I almost cancelled my subscription twice, I found the articles highly uninteresting but moreover, who the Jersey are the musicians they are featuring on their frontpage? Most of them are over 65...

Are you inferring that once they reach their sixties, musicians should be put out to pasture and are not worthy of publicity from magazines? :?
You might find it interesting that at a good portion of the musicians who contributed to Manafon are actually over the age of 60...
Pianist John Tilbury is 73, Keith Rowe is 69, saxophonist Evan Parker is 65, Joel Ryan is 64 and cellist Marcio Mattos is 63.
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Simonp on Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:57 am

baht habit wrote:
FlyingPig wrote:Oh Good, I've been subscribing yo the Wire for 3 years. for once it might be interesting.
I almost cancelled my subscription twice, I found the articles highly uninteresting but moreover, who the Jersey are the musicians they are featuring on their frontpage? Most of them are over 65...

Are you inferring that once they reach their sixties, musicians should be put out to pasture and are not worthy of publicity from magazines? :?
You might find it interesting that at a good portion of the musicians who contributed to Manafon are actually over the age of 60...
Pianist John Tilbury is 73, Keith Rowe is 69, saxophonist Evan Parker is 65, Joel Ryan is 64 and cellist Marcio Mattos is 63.

Wow...Sylvian's latest band are almost as old as The Rolling Stones
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Nath on Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:28 am

I got the mag...
So happy... :D

Nath
Nath
Everything & Nothing