New Sylvian Track - Jacqueline

From Brilliant Trees through Died In The Wool...

New Sylvian Track - Jacqueline

Postby baht habit on Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:39 am

The 2009 Believer Music Issue CD
compiled by Daniel Handler

TRACKLISTING
CD enclosed with the July/August 2009 print issue
1. Sam Phillips, “What It All Means”
2. Robert Scott, “From the Diary of an Early Settler”
3. Mike Scott (The Waterboys), “A Wild Holy Band”
4. Lloyd Cole, “Coattails”
5. Phil Wilson, “Found a Friend”
6. Stuart Moxham, “Warning Signs 2”
7. Dave Wakeling, “Never Die”
8. Lisa Germano, “It’s a Rainbow (Blame Me)”
9. Mark Robinson (Cotton Candy), “Fantastic & Spectacular”
10. Beth Sorrentino, “Such a Beautiful Day”
11. David Sylvian, “Jacqueline”
12. Stephen Duffy (The Lilac Time), “Memory and Desire”
13. Mary Margaret O’Hara, “40 Stories”
14. Wreckless Eric, “(Swimming Against) The Tide of Reason”
Extremely Secret Bonus Track: Haunted Love, “San Dominico”

Back in April, we asked some of our all-time favorite songwriters, including a few who haven’t been recording new material lately, to send us acoustic versions of new songs. Surprisingly, they did so. We’re thrilled to be able to present a brilliant collection of new work from these masters of the form, available here and only here.
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Re: New Sylvian Track - Jacqueline

Postby inkinthewell on Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:22 pm

Just saw this on Samadhi, where it says:
"This month, in the July / August music issue of The Believer magazine, david has a previously unreleased track entitled 'Jacqueline' included on the free cd as compiled by the writer Daniel Handler (aka Lemony Snicket). The track is a demo version of a song which will be recorded in earnest later this year. Other contributors to the cd include Lisa Germano, Mary Margaret O"Hara and Mike Scott."

Demo version? Recorded in earnest?? Later this year???
Does this mean his next album will be out before Manafon? :lol:
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - JL 1940-1980
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby baht habit on Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:24 pm

inkinthewell wrote:Demo version? Recorded in earnest?? Later this year???
Does this mean his next album will be out before Manafon? :lol:

What it could very well mean is that we may learn of a possible direction that Sylvian's music may take before we actually hear any bit of Manafon.
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby inkinthewell on Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:18 am

baht habit wrote:What it could very well mean is that we may learn of a possible direction that Sylvian's music may take before we actually hear any bit of Manafon.

Yes. And, talking about the direction his music may take, won't it be extremely interesting to compare the demo with the finished work?
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - JL 1940-1980
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby ob8 on Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:16 pm

So David wants to shed the image of a singer/songwriter but demos an acoustic track which will be recorded later on in the year and released god knows when, things are not adding up for me here. Will the real David Sylvian stand up ?

Thought not .............
ob8
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby jebe68 on Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:39 pm

Perhaps this will be part of the Sweet Billy Pilgrim/Tim Elsenburg collab mentioned in a recent interview...and perhaps we can be happy that the world will be awash in much DS music soon! When Sylvian comes out of hiding to finally release something, it seems like there are several one-offs, collaborations, etc., like once he peeks his head out, he wants to release as much work as possible before he goes underground again....
jebe68
Noob
Noob

Postby billster on Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:35 am

MP3 Please!!
billster
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby karnsculpture on Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:19 am

ob8 wrote:So David wants to shed the image of a singer/songwriter but demos an acoustic track which will be recorded later on in the year and released god knows when, things are not adding up for me here. Will the real David Sylvian stand up ?

Sylvian always contradicts what he says in interviews - nothing new there! He can do whatever he likes as far as I'm concerned. He must see this one as a song with real potential otherwise he wouldn't feel the need to re-record it and, in fact, he wouldn't allow it to be heard.
Paul
nightporter.co.uk
karnsculpture
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby baht habit on Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:10 pm

karnsculpture wrote:
ob8 wrote:So David wants to shed the image of a singer/songwriter but demos an acoustic track which will be recorded later on in the year and released god knows when, things are not adding up for me here. Will the real David Sylvian stand up ?

Sylvian always contradicts what he says in interviews - nothing new there! He can do whatever he likes as far as I'm concerned. He must see this one as a song with real potential otherwise he wouldn't feel the need to re-record it and, in fact, he wouldn't allow it to be heard.

I would only suggest that we wait until we actually hear the track before any attempt is made to add anything up. That being said, I for one have never actually been able to view Sylvian as fully fitting into any traditional mold of a 'singer/songwriter', so I can't quite grasp how he would be shedding such an image. Though I do believe that Sylvian did state that he was hoping to put more conventional means of making music behind him, so we could definitely assess this latest composition when we give it a listen, and in turn come to a conclusion whether he is following through on such intention.
Plus, we can all be sure that any usage of an acoustic guitar doesn't necessarily have to equate to a folkish singer-songwriter style...case in point - Derek Bailey. :twisted:
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby ob8 on Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:55 pm

I hope the track is more Endgame/Earthbound than Derek Bailey but as we are all waiting for the new album i guess anything new that comes our way will be gratefully received and will hopefully dampen our hunger till September comes around. I love David being experimental but i hope he never gives up on his more normal song writing. He might record another album straight after the release of Manafon and keep all sections of his audience happy ! Ok i am dreaming a little expecting two when one would be more than welcome. I just hope that one day he will release Wasnt I Joe.
ob8
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby becky on Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:53 pm

Can you only purchase this in the US? :?:
becky
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby ob8 on Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:02 pm

I have had a look online and unless someone knows different i would say that its only available direct i'm afraid.
ob8
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby becky on Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:07 pm

:( - Wonder if they would ship to the UK? But perhaps the postage would be astronomical?...Is it out yet? Has anyone got a heard a copy of the track yet? :D
becky
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby ob8 on Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:44 pm

Well i have'nt got a copy :( Yeah they do ship to the UK via Fed Ex so i supspect postage will be more than the mag ! May have to do it though as no one seems to have it and i am very very curious.
ob8
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby tracycowell on Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:08 pm

it costs at least $70 to uk! This is by fed ex, ground mail $14 but could take 6 weeks! :?
Ask yourself: Do I know who I am? Perform sincere self-inquiry, and find the permanent solution to all of life’s problems. — Amma
tracycowell
Regular
Regular

Next

Return to Solo Work