Do you think David really cares about his fans ?

From Brilliant Trees through Died In The Wool...

Do you think David really cares about his fans ?

Postby ob8 on Sun Jun 14, 2009 5:50 pm

And if he does/or he does'nt is it a good thing ? Balancing the right of a true artist against his audience is not easy but the silence from Samadhi sound is overwhelming and the old adage of no news is good news certainly does'nt fit here.

I feel an sense of disappointment with the lack of news coming through and feel as if us the true fans barely register on Davids compass. I may well be wrong and maybe the end product will justify the darkness but we are in the modern world and communication is meant to be the key ! Is it really too much to expect Samadhi to keep us informed of what is or is not happening ? Bring back Virgin :-D
ob8
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Re: Do you think David really cares about his fans ?

Postby karnsculpture on Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:24 pm

It was exactly the same in the Virgin days - even back as far as the time inbetween "Brilliant Trees" and "Gone To Earth" which seemed like an eternity! David has a control mechanism in place which excludes everyone, including most of his management team, from the creative process until he is ready to present a work to the world.

As to the main question - does he care? I think so; its about quality, not quantity. I also appreciate that he still has some distance, some mystique - which is why despite opportunities I have avoided for the most part contact regarding the Nightporter site/Japan. If David wants to get a message to me, maybe to correct a mistake, he would do through his office - but I don't feel I want or need to approach him for more info etc.

Opium/Samadhi are always there to answer questions but as long as they allow my site and this site to keep fans occupied, and let us infringe on the odd copyright (pictures mostly), everyone's happy.
Paul
nightporter.co.uk
karnsculpture
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Adrian on Mon Jun 15, 2009 3:52 am

what I can't understand is that Samadhi is answering people to e-mails that the album will be released in September, yet they seem unwilling to simply post it on their website - which would help them deal with a load of e-mails in one blow.
As for David - I never thought he was a 'fan's' kind of artist. I am quite willing to wait however long it takes for a new album, but either keep us in the dark or give us true info that we can get excited about.
Adrian
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby inkinthewell on Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:01 am

Adrian wrote:what I can't understand is that Samadhi is answering people to e-mails that the album will be released in September, yet they seem unwilling to simply post it on their website - which would help them deal with a load of e-mails in one blow.

Yep, having to read this
13.03.09: DAVID SYLVIAN ‘MANAFON’
We’re preparing for the release of David’s new album ‘Manafon’. It’s a powerfully bold, uncompromising work featuring contributions from Evan Parker, John Tilbury, Keith Rowe, Christian Fennesz, Otomo Yoshihide, and many more. We’ll be sharing more information on the release shortly.

on the 15th of June is annoying. But I don't think David's caring/not caring for his fans has anything to do with it. Maybe he just relates differently to Time than us fans do, and considers five-six months such a short period of time that there's no reason to give any further news.
Yet, there's the Manafon site. It still only says: Coming soon (does it really? :smt024 Yes, it does :( ) Why should he spend money and time to put up this site if he had no intention of giving any news? So, I tend to think that something must have gone wrong. Maybe problems with the cd pressings, the printing, or... Chris Bigg wasn't available. :lol: Dave knows. It would be nice to have a clue, that's all.

Look at the way Mick Karn's site dealt with his next album:
30th of April: it will be out later in the summer.
8th of June: release date is the 5th of October.
It doesn't mean it will be out in October, but at least you can be sure they'll tell you.
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby gokartmozart on Tue Jun 16, 2009 12:03 pm

2 thoughts:

First guess is that the Samadhi website doesn't have a rough date posted because DS hasn't said "put down Sept. as the date", but in some way he as said, "yeah, okay, tell them [the email queries] September". Kinda like on the record, off the record duality.

Second, obviously DS sees himself and his work as more traditional, either as an artist or as a composer. I know lots of artists (painters mostly) who would shiver at having a website where a major project had a date posted for it. Even big projects with a dateline attached to the budget go over a bit in $$$ and time. DS appreciates his fans when they appreciate the work, but the work is paramount to all and like Thomas Pynchon or Sade or Philip Glass, it will come organically, and the better for it.

Still, I wish there was a firm date for the new work. :-D
"The world is a king, and, like a king, desires flattery in return for a favor; but true art is selfish and perverse - it will not submit to the mold of flattery." Ludwig von Beethoven
gokartmozart
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby neonico on Tue Jun 16, 2009 2:30 pm

i think its right that everyone as to wait, it makes it more excitng and he gains more people and they will buy the cd ,clever david :-D :-D
neonico

Postby ob8 on Tue Jun 16, 2009 3:08 pm

Waiting is one thing, not offering any news for three months is another all together. I hope its gonna be worth the wait but whats with the delay in updating the site ? It not time consuming for someone there to say listen sorry but this album is not exactly summer listening and David is gonna keep you all waiting till September. Lets not forget this was meant to be released last year !
ob8
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Fire Rose 45 on Thu Jun 18, 2009 11:58 pm

***Deleted*** My apologies.
Last edited by Fire Rose 45 on Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"The question that sometimes makes me hazy... am I or the others crazy?" -- Albert Einstein

"This band is perfect - just don't scratch the surface." -- Duran Duran
Fire Rose 45
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby neonico on Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:34 am

dont worry fire rose 45 no one on this forum wants to harm your david. the most of us here are so old we need a walkingstick and have children and are also married

were just having fun

a bit cooler fire rose 45 :smt025
neonico

Postby FlyingPig on Fri Jun 19, 2009 7:04 am

Come on people, enjoy the summer, September will be here in no time and then winter...
P.
FlyingPig
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby billster on Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:40 am

He cares about his work and by default, his audience.
billster
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby camphorvan on Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:50 pm

Sorry - but I feel I have to say something. I've come to this thread on a regular basis to check out if anyone knows when the album is going to be released or has any further information on the delay.

To me it's pretty obvious what's happened - remember that Plight and Premonition was recorded in 86 but came out in 88? The reason being licensing - i.e. an artist from one record company being released to have their work released on another company's record. I will bet my bottom dollar on it being something like that; a technical or legal problem and probably not the fault of Samadhi at all. I really wouldn't imagine that it's a result of going back to the recording or anything; I think David knows when he's done.

I find the presumptuous nature of some people really alarming - we don't know, we can speculate, but we shouldn't assume. And stuff about David not caring about his 'fans' (the word being short for 'fanatic' - hence the validity of firerose's statement - and I do think she has a point); what's that all about? Blimey - it's a delay. It happens.

As someone said before; chill out, enjoy the summer with the knowledge you can while away autumnal nights unraveling David's latest CD, (is that pretentious enough?!).

Frankie. He say relax. Apparently.

Camphorvan
camphorvan
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Silver Moon on Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:32 pm

I agree... With Camphorvan and Fire Rose.

I'm going to be having a busy, and eventful summer. I think this is a good summer to listen to our old favorites. (Like Adolescent Sex for me!) And Manafon will come when it comes... It'll be worth the wait, in the meantime, let's all just enjoy ourselves and get out and have some good old-fashioned summer fun.

Sept. Will be here in NO time I promise! ;)

-K-
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby ob8 on Fri Jun 19, 2009 3:48 pm

Frankie says relax...................well i would then prefer to fall on my sword.

David has had a huge influence on me for the past 25 years but i once it was announced on ds.it that a new album was imminent i have been climbing the walls. I feel like we should at least been kept up to date via Samadhi as to what is going on. I know Mr Budd has some poems coming out soon but i frankly dont give a flying f**k about that. I want to hear Manafon and judge it for myself. We are all not perfect, nobody is but as loyal fans and first to rush out and buy this release whenever it arrives, if it ever arrives. I am gonna be a threat to Davids children, jesus is that the way you really think. I am interested in his work only. Summer may well come and go and Manafon may well arrive by then but David as brilliant as he is does not really give a monkeys to any ones opinion but his own.

That may be why his music is so good, who knows............
ob8
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Slope on Fri Jun 19, 2009 6:23 pm

The biggest compliment David can pay to his fans is releasing a worthy product (as he always has, to date) - no matter how long it takes.
Slope
Fanatic
Fanatic

Next

Return to Solo Work