David Sylvian - Manafon

From Brilliant Trees through Died In The Wool...

Re: David Sylvian - Manafon

Postby Nath on Wed Sep 23, 2009 5:23 am

Received this morning... :D

Nath
Nath
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Chet on Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:51 am

can anybody help me with fixing a japanese edition?
And my heart sings of many things
Chet
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby missouriman on Wed Sep 30, 2009 9:24 am

Back from the abyss and ears open.
Manafon is splendid. 'Emily Dickinson' made me cry. Evan Parker is a master. The sound of something happening so profound it wrenched me apart. 'Manafon' is a masterpiece too. Still working to understand my reluctance to accept a couple of tracks, but that is my problem not Sylvians.
This is not an easy listen. This is not Starbucks muzak or hard free jazz toodlings. This is some deep schizzle, folks and I am enjoying trying to get more out of it.
missouriman
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Simonp on Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:01 am

MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Haldeman Gracie on Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:26 am

Manafon definitely gets the thumbs up from me. I'd say it was an album in three parts - (i) The so-called 'difficult' stuff - tracks 2, 3 & 4, (ii) the atmospheric Chavez pieces - tracks 6 and 7 and (iii) the pub singalong bookends - tracks 1 and 9. The jury is still out on the 'throwaway' track (#5) and the instrumental (#8). Given the rest of the album and Sylvian's mastery of the instrumental form, my current thoughts are that track 8 is the weakest on the album. I don't think it stands up against any 2 minute 'detail' from the Czukay pieces, and unfortunately it comes after the only other instrumental break in the album (Emily Dickinson's 2nd half), which was a corker.

I'm not sure I'd label the album a masterpiece at the moment (I certainly wouldn't argue against it either). It's far stronger than Blemish though, of that I'm sure. Currently I'd rank it #5 of #6 in a list of the canonical DS solo albums, but there's no shame in that. The Holy 80's Trinity still fills the medal positions, with the late coda (Dead Bees) in 4th.
Haldeman Gracie
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby digimarsh on Thu Oct 01, 2009 4:47 am

Haldeman Gracie wrote:Manafon definitely gets the thumbs up from me. I'd say it was an album in three parts - (i) The so-called 'difficult' stuff - tracks 2, 3 & 4, (ii) the atmospheric Chavez pieces - tracks 6 and 7 and (iii) the pub singalong bookends - tracks 1 and 9. The jury is still out on the 'throwaway' track (#5) and the instrumental (#8). Given the rest of the album and Sylvian's mastery of the instrumental form, my current thoughts are that track 8 is the weakest on the album. I don't think it stands up against any 2 minute 'detail' from the Czukay pieces, and unfortunately it comes after the only other instrumental break in the album (Emily Dickinson's 2nd half), which was a corker.

I'm not sure I'd label the album a masterpiece at the moment (I certainly wouldn't argue against it either). It's far stronger than Blemish though, of that I'm sure. Currently I'd rank it #5 of #6 in a list of the canonical DS solo albums, but there's no shame in that. The Holy 80's Trinity still fills the medal positions, with the late coda (Dead Bees) in 4th.

A fair appraisel i would say , the 2 'bookend' tracks is exactly how i would describe tracks 1 & 9, i was suprised to read though that you rate 'Dead Bees' above Manafon , while its not bad it is rather ordinary in my opinion ,save for a few excellent pieces. No one could argue with the holy trinity though, thats for sure.
digimarsh
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby inkinthewell on Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:48 pm

Chet wrote:can anybody help me with fixing a japanese edition?

Try here:
http://www.yesasia.com/global/search/manafon/0-0-0-bpt.48_q.manafon-en/list.html

Shipping is free. I have bought cds and dvds from them various times and they're as good as any other shopping site.
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - JL 1940-1980
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Chet on Thu Oct 01, 2009 2:52 pm

thanks alot
i'll give it a try
Chet
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Tin Bird on Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:06 pm

I just realized today that after listening to Manafon intensely for the first two days after I received it, I haven't listened to it again. :( Not sure what this means in terms of staying power for me...perhaps I will go back to it. Some things take time... we'll see.
When I cannot sing my heart...I can only speak my mind...
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby tulipmania on Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:24 am

Voice as instrument; but what hasnt been mentioned here is that he is using vocal layering on some of the tracks, as he has done on previous albums. Its a subtle technique but it really works for me.
tulipmania
Regular
Regular

Postby missouriman on Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:22 am

I love the whale sound backing vocals he trys on a couple of tracks. It sounds so out of this world especially on "Emily Dickinson" which is now the go-to track for me.
missouriman
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby darkerbird on Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:29 pm

Hi,
It's been a very long time since I have posted anything on here, although I do lurk quite a bit!. I have enjoyed the comments regarding Manafon. I really really like it. It took a while to get past the initial dislike of some tracks (2,3,4) but i have come to appreciate them with time, I quite like Random Acts now! 125 Spheres was my first glimmer of light on first listen, that beautiful (if brief) walking bass line against those harmony vocals, a magic moment for me! 'Snow White' still blows me away everytime i hear it..The line "Sometimes you're only a passenger in the time of your life" is quite an incredible declaration of loss of self-belief and emotional dislocation. Emily Dickinson is also amazing, as is the title track. The music itself is hypnotic overall and i have spent the last few weeks with the ipod strapped on (the only way to truly experience the album, at least with my crappy music system!), A real triumph for Mr S and all those involved. My highest praise goes to Christian Fennesz, who seems to dominate every track he appears on, every tweak and whisper of white noise seems to drag your emotions one way and the other. Wonderful stuff!
Regards
Paul
darkerbird
Regular
Regular

Postby Chet on Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:24 am

great to read you darkekrbird
hope to read more posts from you soon
i agree that fennesz is very present.
i would have liked to hear the entire album without his participation.
then i guess we're talking 10 /10
Chet
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Sylvie on Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:13 pm

got it 2 weeks ago, listen to it maybe 5 times. like the end of it, but at the moment that is all. it will surely change with time. i am only listening to pet shop boys and fever ray at the moment. and kate bush obviously.
Sylvie
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby sisterlondon on Sun Oct 04, 2009 6:26 pm

I listened to it twice and it's taking me forever to decide I want to listen to it again... :|

I was expecting it, so I'm not very shocked ;) But I just think it's not my kind of stuff.
sisterlondon
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

PreviousNext

Return to Solo Work