David Sylvian - Manafon

From Brilliant Trees through Died In The Wool...

What a difference a speaker makes

Postby javier on Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:33 am

Last night, rather than listen to Manafon on my speakers I put on headphones, lay down and turned out the lights.
My limited vocabulary can't come close to describing the extraordinarily different experience. Sounds I hadn't known existed , foreground, background, incredibly subtle smatterings of sonic flavour, so playful and delightful.
And I also heard far more in Sylvian's vocals than I had before.

I thoroughly recommend the headphone experience, especially to those doubting the quality of this release.
javier
Obsessed
Obsessed

Re: David Sylvian - Manafon

Postby barryinstockholm on Wed Sep 16, 2009 2:41 am

Personally, I usually have John Cage's 4'33" on repeat on my stereo, but now there's a new cd in town...Manafon!
barryinstockholm
Regular
Regular

Postby afternoonfix on Wed Sep 16, 2009 1:49 pm

digimarsh wrote:I would love to be able to add my views on the album ,but apparently there is a delay (amazon) with my order ,now its
due early october.Might cancel and just download from samadhi,

still waiting on mine from samadhi!
afternoonfix
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Hawk on Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:34 pm

Chet wrote:one answer:
the video for small metal gods was made several years ago by the artist Hiraki Sawa, long before the song was written.
I guess David liked the film and asked for permission to use it in a promotional way.

Ah I see - that's interesting thanks!
Hawk
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Nicrobliz on Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:53 pm

I've been listening to Manafon for the last few hours, and can completely understand the frustration of some fans and accusations of this being a 'Blemished (Part 2)'. In many ways, it's great to hear David using (mostly) acoustic instrumentation again, in such a sparse manner. Unfortunately, I'm not too keen about the performances being so low in the mix, nor the fact that David rarely keeps quiet to let the musicians shine.

I don't think Manafon is particularly ground-breaking or as surprising as other solo efforts from David (as this basically builds upon the template of Blemished) and it lacks the degree of variety offered on Blemish (although some would argue that, as a result, the album is more cohesive). If I was to sum up Manafon, it would be 'Small Metal Gods' + ('The Good Son' reworked x 7) + a Rain Tree Crow instrumental afterthought (i.e. Department of Dead Letters). Maybe it's a lazy summary but, hey, someone's got to do it!

Do I like it? In some ways, I find it an interesting listen but will need more time to digest it. However, I can't see myself considering it as one of his best solo works (let alone listening to it much) but, if nothing else, it's made me appreciate Blemish a lot more.
Nicrobliz
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby jon abbey on Thu Sep 17, 2009 1:28 am

Nicrobliz wrote:I've been listening to Manafon for the last few hours, and can completely understand the frustration of some fans and accusations of this being a 'Blemished (Part 2)'. In many ways, it's great to hear David using (mostly) acoustic instrumentation again, in such a sparse manner. Unfortunately, I'm not too keen about the performances being so low in the mix, nor the fact that David rarely keeps quiet to let the musicians shine.

just for the record, I've listened to Manafon both on CD and MP3, and the balance between David's voice and everything else is definitely better on the actual CD. so if you're listening to MP3s (I obviously have no idea if you are or not), that's at least part of the problem here.

as for this, "the fact that David rarely keeps quiet to let the musicians shine", it's true but also kind of misses the point. this is David's project, his first real album in six years. all of the accompanying musicians have plenty of records if you'd really like to hear them shine, I'd be happy to get you pointed in the right direction on any or all of them. that's not what Manafon is intended to do, and I don't think it's an especially valid criticism.
jon abbey
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Nicrobliz on Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:36 am

jon abbey wrote:as for this, "the fact that David rarely keeps quiet to let the musicians shine", it's true but also kind of misses the point. this is David's project, his first real album in six years. all of the accompanying musicians have plenty of records if you'd really like to hear them shine, I'd be happy to get you pointed in the right direction on any or all of them. that's not what Manafon is intended to do, and I don't think it's an especially valid criticism.

Actually, I think you're missing the point. I wasn't saying that I wanted opportunities for the musicians to showcase their skills, just more instrumental passages (in other words, for David to be more 'economical' with his vocal passages). This is a music album and if he wants the listener to embrace his 'new' musical direction, it would have made sense to give the listener moments when only the instrumentation could be focused on. Yes, it is his solo album but it could have easily gone either way (and what has six years got to do with the price of bread?).

And another thing, whether or not someone likes Manafon, a criticism is a criticism - everyone's entitled to this. I get pretty sick and tired of smug individuals who think they 'know' an artist and where they're coming from, and are intent on condescending or patronising others who allegedly 'don't get it'. David released Manafon into the public arena and everyone has a right to their opinions - there's no valid or invalid views as it's all down to personal tastes.

You don't have to like everything by David to be a true fan. In addition, I don't believe in blind faith and I'm certainly not interested in being part of any pack. I have much more respect for fans who actually question the works of artists than those who would happily follow them off a cliff...
Nicrobliz
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Simonp on Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:54 am

[quote="NicroblizThis is a music album and if he wants the listener to embrace his 'new' musical direction, .[/quote]

I guess this poses the question on what the definition of music is. It also suggests that your own definition is very much along the lines of traditional song structure and instrumentation.
MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Nicrobliz on Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:05 am

Simonp wrote:I guess this poses the question on what the definition of music is. It also suggests that your own definition is very much along the lines of traditional song structure and instrumentation.

Here we go again! Did you have a nice fall?

Btw, I don't recall ever saying that I disliked Manafon - I'm just not going gaga over it.
Nicrobliz
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Simonp on Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:18 am

Nicrobliz wrote:
Simonp wrote:I guess this poses the question on what the definition of music is. It also suggests that your own definition is very much along the lines of traditional song structure and instrumentation.

Here we go again! Did you have a nice fall?

Btw, I don't recall ever saying that I disliked Manafon - I'm just not going gaga over it.

I wasn't having a go at you. Don't be so defensive. It was a valid question...what exactly constitutes music? I don't know why people are struggling so much with Manafon. As someone who loathed Blemish on its release (and still don't particularly enjoy it) I find Manafon a far more accessible work and I've used this work on several occasions to describe it, incredibly melodic. Many people seem to have a problem with the album's apparent lack of melody and I just can't understand that. Each to their own and all that, but I rate Manafon as Sylvian's best album since SOTB.
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Nicrobliz on Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:41 am

Simonp wrote:I wasn't having a go at you. Don't be so defensive.

Simonp wrote:It also suggests that your own definition [of music] is very much along the lines of traditional song structure and instrumentation.

Simonp, when you make assumptions like the above, you're asking for trouble...

I actually enjoyed listening to Manafon and found many aspects of it warranting further listening. What I, so far, have not been happy with are the lack of instrumental passages (to highlight this new musical direction) and the fact that most of the tracks lack sufficient diversity in their 'structure'. Maybe further listening will rectify the second reservation I have but, last time I checked, there were no fan brownie points for 'getting it' straight away.

I'm simply stating my first impressions on a discussion forum and shouldn't be 'graded' in any way for doing so (whether I grow to love it or not). I'm trying to encourage discussion about the album and not about my personal musical tastes. Comprende?
Nicrobliz
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Simonp on Thu Sep 17, 2009 4:50 am

Nicrobliz wrote:[[/b]Comprende?

I refuse to even respond to this. To think you have the audacity to call others condescending or patronising.
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Nicrobliz on Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:02 am

Ermmm... you put words in my mouth and are now acting like a wounded puppy?! It is you, sir, who is in the wrong.

And please cut out the 'I'm so painfully civil, therefore I refuse to comment' bull when it was you who rocked the boat in the first place. How spineless...
Nicrobliz
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Simonp on Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:09 am

Anyway....current favourite Manafon track "Emily Dickinson" is playing in my office at the moment. God knows what the neighbouring offices make of this beautiful sound.
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Nicrobliz on Thu Sep 17, 2009 5:25 am

Simonp wrote:Anyway....current favourite Manafon track "Emily Dickinson" is playing in my office at the moment. God knows what the neighbouring offices make of this beautiful sound.

Actually, that's one of my favourite tracks on Manafon...
Nicrobliz
Fanatic
Fanatic

PreviousNext

Return to Solo Work