Manafon Yes/Manafon No

From Brilliant Trees through Died In The Wool...

Do you like David Sylvian's new work's title?

Yes, but I hate the stag
7%
Yes, stag and all
57%
Don't care, stag or no stag
27%
No, but the stag's cute
No votes
No
10%

Total votes : 30

Postby Brian on Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:02 pm

proggrl wrote:PS - Also looking forward to a new tour. *ahem*

and new nine horses o.O

Do you think he may actually tour?
Last edited by Brian on Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brian
Noob
Noob

Postby VaporTrail on Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:31 pm

Well if he toured I doubt he would play anything from his back catalogue (wasn't the last tour to put that material behind him?), but I don't think it would be too far fetched for him to perform a few shows that based off of the new album (more improv based).
VaporTrail
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby baht habit on Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:36 pm

Quoting Sylvian from an interview from 2005:

"I could imagine different scenarios where it could be very interesting to get back into live performance, if it wasn't all about presenting the prerecorded material. The difficulty with that is presenting that idea to my audience. If I just come to improvise, I don't know how well that's going to go down. And I don't know how the improvisation community of listeners is going to embrace me in that context either. But that's something I think about."
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby proggrl on Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:05 am

Speaking personally - the community will embrace it whole-heartedly - thank you David!!! :D
Trust the proggrl.
proggrl
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby baht habit on Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:04 am

proggrl wrote:Speaking personally - the community will embrace it whole-heartedly - thank you David!!! :D

Though I have no doubt that any open minded music lover such as yourself would embrace it, I can't help but wonder if the majority of fans would accept such an endeavor. Imagine the scenario : Sylvian on tour performing totally improvised music every evening. He wouldn't acknowledge his back catalogue and most likely would not sing at all. The strongest forms of improvisational material are not all that conducive toward the inclusion of vocals - since the lyrics would most obviously need to be previously written in advance and melody lines are normally predetermined, let's face it - that's not improvisation.
So would many fans accept an evening of entirely instrumental work which was improvised on the spot? How many fans would be disappointed to finally see this artist they admire so much performing live in the flesh, and yet not hear him sing? Since Sylvian has grown so fond of the work being created by the musicians on Erstwhile Records for the last 7 or 8 years, I assume that his point of reference when speaking of improvisational music would revolve around similar influence. So with that in mind, I ask again - Would there be great acceptance of such an endeavor?
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby proggrl on Wed Apr 08, 2009 11:17 am

Well, all this is purely speculation anyway.

However - since we're speculating - I would assume that Sylvian wouldn't just go out to create improvised MUSIC. He would most likely also have a visual presentation to go along with the whole package and it wouldn't be a major tour I wouldn't suspect - just a few select dates in major cities which knowing him would not include the US. :roll:

It would be a true artisic installation. I think people would be interested in that. Perhaps not the majority of people - but many would. It would also suit the direction Sylvian is (or seems to be) going in. Which is one of the many reasons he is still one of my favourite artists.
Trust the proggrl.
proggrl
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Silver Moon on Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:32 pm

I hate to have to quote Fripp (lol) But I'm going to.... 'Expect Nothing' That way, we can't be disappointed! Anyhow, we shouldn't even speculate what it will be about cause the truth is we don't have a clue...

OR Just expect it to be a rap/country fusion album, and there is no WAY anyone can be disappointed! ^_^

-K-
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby proggrl on Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:34 pm

If it's not a rap/country fusion album I'm gonna CRY!!!! :lol:

Kera - see the sig - "Trust the proggrl" :-D
Trust the proggrl.
proggrl
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Adrian on Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:51 am

we need an update from Samadhi. It's been 4 weeks already ffs.
:cry:
Adrian
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby baht habit on Thu Apr 09, 2009 9:06 am

Yes, it has seemed like a small eternity since SamadhiSound made the announcement, 'We’ll be sharing more information on the release shortly'.
Yet I do happen to have a little bit of info to share - coming from the gentleman responsible for writing the official press release for 'Manafon':

David's description of what he's after: "a completely modern kind of chamber music. Intimate, dynamic, emotive, democratic, economical."

Early report: it is horrifyingly beautiful.

If you find Blemish alienating, you'll really have to work with this one. But the music is arguably a little warmer.

David Sylvian’s upcoming album, Manafon, is one of the most engrossing and beautiful things I’ve ever heard.
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby ob8 on Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:42 pm

Wow i am dying to hear the new album especially reading this latest post, they should do an early release date for subscribers to Samadhi to put us out of our misery ! think David has a cruel streak in him but i will forgive as soon as the album comes out !
ob8
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby baht habit on Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:01 pm

Ok, I've received more info:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I’m not sure when the album comes out or when the press release will be issued, but I can tell you he worked with a number of improvisers including Keith Rowe, Sachiko Matsubara, Evan Parker, Christian Fennesz, members of Polwechsel, Otomo Yoshihide, John Tilbury … that’s off the top of my head. No percussionists. The basic arrangement is improvised backdrop with spare overdubs supporting Sylvian’s singing, and the basic setup won’t surprise anyone who’s heard, say, his track on that Fennesz album, but I find it even more engrossing. Lyrical themes concern the loss of faith, life as a quixotic, isolated individual, and creativity. I find it really powerful stuff. First single may be “Small Metal Gods” - I believe they’ll release a short film for it.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby proggrl on Thu Apr 09, 2009 2:46 pm

baht habit wrote:Ok, I've received more info:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
... The basic arrangement is improvised backdrop with spare overdubs supporting Sylvian’s singing, and the basic setup won’t surprise anyone who’s heard, say, his track on that Fennesz album, but I find it even more engrossing. Lyrical themes concern the loss of faith, life as a quixotic, isolated individual, and creativity. ...
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think I'm going to be in love with this album. :) Mind if I cross-post this?
Trust the proggrl.
proggrl
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby baht habit on Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:16 pm

Of course, I don't mind at all. The information I am able to share is out there in order to be spread around to those who wish to know. Besides I'm absolutely sure that davidsylvian.net will lift it verbatim in due time. :-D It seems they've built most of their Manafon info page around many of my previous posts on the subject...even including some of the uncorroborated rumors which now seem to be inconsistent. :twisted:
So go ahead and cross-post away.
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby ob8 on Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:27 pm

Thanks again Baht, wonderful news, the suspense is growing every day. I am relieved to hear that David will be singing, much as i like the spoken word tracks he has done his singing is just on another level.
ob8
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

PreviousNext

Return to Solo Work