Manafon Yes/Manafon No

From Brilliant Trees through Died In The Wool...

Do you like David Sylvian's new work's title?

Yes, but I hate the stag
7%
Yes, stag and all
57%
Don't care, stag or no stag
27%
No, but the stag's cute
No votes
No
10%

Total votes : 30

Postby Barbierian on Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:50 pm

baht habit wrote:David's description of what he's after: "a completely modern kind of chamber music. Intimate, dynamic, emotive, democratic, economical."

Early report: it is horrifyingly beautiful.

If you find Blemish alienating, you'll really have to work with this one. But the music is arguably a little warmer.

David Sylvian’s upcoming album, Manafon, is one of the most engrossing and beautiful things I’ve ever heard.

OMG, can hardly wait - a glimmer of light suddenly appeared in this miserable world!!!! Something to really look forward to :-D
Barbierian
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Brian on Thu Apr 09, 2009 6:08 pm

baht habit wrote:Ok, I've received more info:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I’m not sure when the album comes out or when the press release will be issued, but I can tell you he worked with a number of improvisers including Keith Rowe, Sachiko Matsubara, Evan Parker, Christian Fennesz, members of Polwechsel, Otomo Yoshihide, John Tilbury … that’s off the top of my head. No percussionists. The basic arrangement is improvised backdrop with spare overdubs supporting Sylvian’s singing, and the basic setup won’t surprise anyone who’s heard, say, his track on that Fennesz album, but I find it even more engrossing. Lyrical themes concern the loss of faith, life as a quixotic, isolated individual, and creativity. I find it really powerful stuff. First single may be “Small Metal Gods” - I believe they’ll release a short film for it.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for the information
Last edited by Brian on Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Brian
Noob
Noob

Postby baht habit on Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:22 am

Brian wrote:Thanks for the information baht habit. You've been an impressive source of information for quite some time now.

Thanks. I know that some of us around here are extremely anxious for this release - so it's a thrill to have been able to impart some of what I'm been fortunate enough to find out. I always enjoy the dialogue and debate here. this site is vastly superior to most others.
Last edited by baht habit on Thu Apr 30, 2009 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby inkinthewell on Fri Apr 10, 2009 10:34 am

baht habit wrote:Intimate, dynamic, emotive, democratic, economical.

Hooray! David Sylvian for President!!
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby kitaj on Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:17 pm

:lol:

Thanks a bunch, Baht. :D
kitaj
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby inkinthewell on Sat Apr 11, 2009 1:37 am

inkinthewell wrote:David Sylvian for President!!

And Baht as his press agent!
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Previous

Return to Solo Work