Manafon Yes/Manafon No

From Brilliant Trees through Died In The Wool...

Do you like David Sylvian's new work's title?

Yes, but I hate the stag
7%
Yes, stag and all
57%
Don't care, stag or no stag
27%
No, but the stag's cute
No votes
No
10%

Total votes : 30

Manafon Yes/Manafon No

Postby inkinthewell on Fri Mar 20, 2009 2:47 pm

Let's forget the music for a minute, and see what we think about the title: Manafon (and why not, about the stag :lol:).

(P.S. Hope you'll enjoy voting. I'll be flying to London tomorrow, so I won't see the results till next week, and that's definitely going to ruin my holidays :()
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Brian on Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:23 am

I did vote no.
Last edited by Brian on Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brian
Noob
Noob

Postby heartofdavid on Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:35 am

I'm just glad it's not another 'bee' title, although since the bees were dead last time around it would have to be something like "The March of the Mutant Zombie Bees" which wouldn't have been a very good title.
Hallucinating lucidity
heartofdavid
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby proggrl on Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:53 am

I don't mind the title, or the stag. I think the title is fine actually. However I voted I don't care, cos I'm not really bothered by the title, it's the music that will matter in the end, so you can't really forget about it. Not that I know it yet to forget or not. LOL
Trust the proggrl.
proggrl
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Lady Arcadia on Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:22 pm

I didn't vote, I think I will wait until the CD is released and review it as a whole piece of work.

Not wanting to be rude or anything, but commenting about the CD name like this tends to remind me of some fellow Duranies hating the name RCM - months before the CD was released. And I think to be fair, many of us Duranies had already made up our minds about that CD long before it was released. Please don't do that with David's work.
Lady Arcadia
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby inkinthewell on Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:58 pm

ellyn sylvian wrote:Please don't do that with David's work.

That wasn't my intention, and my experience of this forum gives me reason to think there's no risk such a thing could happen here. It was just supposed to be a game, something to do while we wait for something to happen.
Anyhow, as Brian pointed out, it is an unusual title for David Sylvian, so definite and precise (and these same words apply to what up to now is the album's only symbol, that deer chap with the big M thrust between his horns); it seemed quite natural to ask what we thought about it.

To finish off, here's a funny thing that happened in London...
I went to one of the biggest music stores and asked the manager if he'd heard anything about Manafon.
"No," he replied, with a tinge of annoyance in his voice. "We're quite all right with O2, thank you." :cry:
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby natsume on Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:43 pm

inkinthewell wrote: here's a funny thing that happened in London...
I went to one of the biggest music stores and asked the manager if he'd heard anything about Manafon.
"No," he replied, with a tinge of annoyance in his voice. "We're quite all right with O2, thank you." :cry:

Can you translate that for an American? (Or other non-Brits who don't get this?)
natsume
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby sisterlondon on Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:14 am

Maybe I am wrong but I think that they clerk understood "Vodaphone" (that and O2 are phone companies).
sisterlondon
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

to stag or not to stag

Postby traiskin on Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:43 am

Actually, I'm not crazy about the stag, but I like the title. But I really dont care about titles and pictures. My concern is the word "uncompromising" when describing the new music..
Nightporters slip away...
traiskin
Regular
Regular

Postby godisinthesilences on Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:22 pm

i mostly don't care... I will see what the whole thing is about and how it relates to the music in the end.
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Re: to stag or not to stag

Postby baht habit on Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:57 pm

traiskin wrote:Actually, I'm not crazy about the stag, but I like the title. But I really dont care about titles and pictures. My concern is the word "uncompromising" when describing the new music..

Do descriptions such as 'uncompromising' and 'bold' bring about cause for concern? I've taken note of similar apprehension from other members on this forum and am still somewhat bemused that fans of Sylvian's work would have an averse reaction to such terminology.
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby proggrl on Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:04 pm

I would prefer 'unconventional' but I'll take 'uncompromising' - works for me. ;)
Trust the proggrl.
proggrl
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby baht habit on Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:23 pm

proggrl wrote:I would prefer 'unconventional' but I'll take 'uncompromising' - works for me. ;)

Well, the descriptions used in the blurb on the Samadhi Sound website were 'powerfully bold, uncompromising work'...nothing about 'unconventional' - so I am not quite sure where that reference came from - but I guess that word could also be considered entirely appropriate when dealing with an eclectic and esoteric artist such as Sylvian. So, proggrl, would I be correct in assuming that you are not concerned as some others around here appear to be? Are you looking forward to a challenge as some of us on this forum also are?
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby proggrl on Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:04 am

Unconventional was my own reference cos I like the unconventional. ;)

Nope - not concerned about the terminology used. I think the musicians involved are enough to stir my excitement for this album. Take away the musicians and the fact that it is another David Sylvian album is already enough to stir my excitement.

Looking forward to it and all it's staggy uncompromising bold power! Bring. It. ON! :-D
Trust the proggrl.
proggrl
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby proggrl on Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:05 am

PS - Also looking forward to a new tour. *ahem*

and new nine horses o.O
Trust the proggrl.
proggrl
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Next