New album coming soon

From Brilliant Trees through Died In The Wool...

Re: New album coming soon

Postby inkinthewell on Sat May 02, 2009 8:46 am

baht habit wrote:a) Sylvian and his management have an extremely negative view of all website forums.

baht habit wrote:b) It turns out that some of that which I shared was incorrect.

If "b" is true then "a" might be false. ;)

So, if all that Baht has said up to now has to be considered off-the-mark, then we'd better get ready for a really crappy album. :lol:

(P.S. Sorry to Baht for having mucked about with his post. And thanks, anyway.)
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Fire Rose 45 on Sat May 02, 2009 9:06 am

Personally I'm hoping for another "Damage" or "Secrets of the Beehive". I think David was at his absolute best on them and had the voice of an angel.
"The question that sometimes makes me hazy... am I or the others crazy?" -- Albert Einstein

"This band is perfect - just don't scratch the surface." -- Duran Duran
Fire Rose 45
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby MoodyB on Sat May 02, 2009 11:14 am

Fire Rose 45 wrote:Personally I'm hoping for another "Damage" or "Secrets of the Beehive". I think David was at his absolute best on them and had the voice of an angel.

*Disclaimer - This is just my personal opinion and not official in any manner*
;-)

Manafon is definitely not another SoTb...
...As much as I love that or any other previous album, I'm glad he never rests on his laurels as an artist.
David himself has anticipated that a lot of the fans might not like Manafon...Somehow I almost get the feeling
that he he likes this idea ( as odd as that may sound!).
I think after the last tour, he felt compelled to take a new direction with this album.

With regards to earlier posts discussing news updates and information from Samadhi -
As much as we would all love constant updates and a daily diary from Dave, that's just not who he is.
At the end of the day, just because we buy his records, he doesn't owe us anything. We can choose to buy his albums when they come out and enjoy them or not, it's as simple as that.
As a fan, I'm glad that he's still recording material and pushing his own envelope and that's enough for me!

Sit tight people, more info will be on the way soon once David & Samadhi et al have the details sorted out!

Best as always,
Chris
"Before you play two notes learn how to play one note - and don't play one note unless you've got a reason to play it." - Mark Hollis (1998)

http://www.chriscrader.com/
http://stores.lulu.com/Eurotech
MoodyB
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby heartofdavid on Sat May 02, 2009 1:49 pm

MoodyB wrote:...As much as I love that or any other previous album, I'm glad he never rests on his laurels as an artist.
David himself has anticipated that a lot of the fans might not like Manafon...Somehow I almost get the feeling
that he he likes this idea ( as odd as that may sound!).
I think after the last tour, he felt compelled to take a new direction with this album.

I like that about him too. As a writer, I can empathize with that feeling, wanting to confound any and all expectations - I like to constantly challenge myself, that's what satisfies me the most, and if in turn it pleases others that's icing on the cake. It's what I admire most in artists whose musical journeys I follow - I may not always love the result but I'm never bored because it sounds like something they've done before.
Hallucinating lucidity
heartofdavid
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby baht habit on Sat May 02, 2009 2:05 pm

I think your post is excellent, Chris, and I agree with so many of your points - with the exception of this:

"I think after the last tour, he felt compelled to take a new direction with this album."

Actually, Sylvian was already well deep into recording the sessions which have become 'Manafon' long before he embarked on The World Is Everything Tour in 2007. We can conclude that his compulsion actually occured with the recording and subsequent critical success of 'blemish'. After the touring to promote 'blemish' was complete, Sylvian took on the business of fulfilling the obligation he made to his brother with their joint collaboration (which did eventually become Nine Horses 'Snow Borne Sorrow') but Sylvian was also concurrently working with these Erstwhile Records artists like Fennesz, Keith Rowe, Polwechsel as far back as the latter months of 2004.
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby baht habit on Sat May 02, 2009 2:23 pm

natsume wrote:
baht habit wrote:More importantly, I've also been informed that Sylvian and his management have an extremely negative view of all website forums

Can you substantiate this for us? I find such a blanket statement very hard to believe.

I guess that is a reasonable request, though I am somewhat surprised that anyone who has closely followed Sylvian and has at least some relative insight to his personal demeanor over the years would find the info which I shared to be all that 'hard to believe'. I would be glad to privately share the info I had received, yet could I please be assured that it be kept private and not posted all over?
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby natsume on Sat May 02, 2009 3:35 pm

I think it was the "extremely negative" part that I found hard to believe, precisely because I have been a Sylvian fan for so many years. I would think, and expect, that he would be able to maintain a certain detachment from negativity or misreadings of his work, or speculations about his future work. I very well may be reading him wrong. He has stated many times, in regards to questions of interpreting his own work, that he doesn't care to do it, it is out in the world, and people should bring their own interpretations to what he has produced. He seems to have great care, regard, and trust in his audience. For many fans, the representation of support on forums such as this one demonstrate levels of attention and care and love we have all put into his body of work, and it is hard not to take something as stated in your original post as a slap in the face. I still think it could use more explanation. It is clearly not apparent to me, and as stated it seems far too absolute. I am sure Sylvian and his management have a bit more of a nuanced take on how they feel about "all website forums". I know he is extremely private, and I also know that the kind of attention he gets from forums such as this one most likely make him profoundly uncomfortable, but given what we know about his philosophy and spirituality, wouldn't these be the least of his concerns? Again, I may be reading it all wrong.

Please feel free to pm me if you wish, I assure you of my confidentiality.
natsume
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Silver Moon on Sun May 03, 2009 9:34 pm

baht habit wrote:More importantly, I've also been informed that Sylvian and his management have an extremely negative view of all website forums

I have to admit, 'slapped in the face' is kinda the right phrase to describe how I feel about that...

...But that's just too bad. JapanSylvian is what it is, just like Manafon is what it will be. I'll just wait patiently, as I have been doing, in the meantime.

Just a reminder, I hope that everyone on here knows that I really really appreciate y'all! While I have been scarce, everyone else has been here to keep the forum more alive than ever! I think that if JapanSylvian makes even just ONE lone fan happy to have found friends, that's what it's all about. I feel like the good very much outweighs the bad on here. JapanSylvian is for Laughter and forgetting, and Letting the Happiness In. So what if we discuss and gossip about Manafon to no end? We are interested, eager, and just dang excited to know a new album is in the works! It's only natural. ;)

So, to all of the average joe's, music snobs, fan girls, and Adolescent Sex-lovers on here (and everyone in between) keep doing what you do... A few negative words here and there will never hold a candle to the impact that Mr. Sylvian's music has had, and will have on us. ... Long live JapanSylvian!

-K-
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby becky on Mon May 04, 2009 1:12 am

Here here Silvermoon! You are an :smt059
becky
Obsessed
Obsessed

Re: New album coming soon?

Postby inkinthewell on Mon May 04, 2009 5:00 pm

Silver Moon wrote:JapanSylvian is for Laughter and forgetting, and Letting the Happiness In.

Bearing K's words in mind, let me tell ye all that a guy I know, who calls himself Rudolph and claims to be the stag's best friend, told me yesterday that Manafon won't be out till Christmas. Jingle bells!
Manafon.jpg
Manafon.jpg (6.77 KiB) Viewed 12168 times
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Tim91 on Mon May 04, 2009 6:36 pm

This will be my first David Sylvian album that I'll be buying at it's release. I'm sure it will be very unique and beautiful. If it's released August 9th it would be a fantastic birthday present for me :-D
Last edited by Tim91 on Tue May 05, 2009 2:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Tim91
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Waves on Tue May 05, 2009 2:23 pm

Yes Silvermoon, wishing your beauty japansylvian a very long life, and cheers on the three years on May 6th!!!
News here on the coming release travels fast to keep me interested but with patience.
Waves
Regular
Regular

Postby inkinthewell on Sat May 09, 2009 3:52 am

Food for your thoughts (if they're on a slimming diet):
we all know about Trophies I, II & III. Well now, isn't the stag's head just another trophy?

(Can you imagine Davy lurking in the woods with a double barrel shotgun?)
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby becky on Sat May 09, 2009 3:57 pm

hmmm...very interesting thought indeed inkinthewell!
becky
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby baht habit on Fri May 15, 2009 8:36 am

I've noticed that these two updates have been posted on the Polwechsel webpage in their news section:

after a slight delay the polwechsel/tilbury cd will be released in may 09 on hathut.
werner dafeldecker and michael moser are taking part on david sylvian´s new cd which will be released in spring 09 on samadhi records.
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

PreviousNext

Return to Solo Work