New album coming soon

From Brilliant Trees through Died In The Wool...

Re: New album coming soon

Postby ProgRocker on Mon May 18, 2009 2:28 am

I'm getting a bit worried...no percussion?? Well, I hope the songs are good enough that they don't need it. Blemish is a fine album, but it was a bit too eccentric for my tastes. I hope the new album is artistic and yet in the same vein as his classic albums.
ProgRocker
Noob
Noob

Postby Simonp on Mon May 18, 2009 11:47 am

ProgRocker wrote:I'm getting a bit worried...no percussion?? Well, I hope the songs are good enough that they don't need it. Blemish is a fine album, but it was a bit too eccentric for my tastes. I hope the new album is artistic and yet in the same vein as his classic albums.

i think you're in for a shock ProgRocker....

As for his "classic albums" many people regard Blemish as his masterpiece
MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby neonico on Mon May 18, 2009 12:15 pm

blemish is in my opinon the best work that hes everdone
neonico

Postby becky on Mon May 18, 2009 4:32 pm

Here here Neonico! I too thought Blemish was amazing...It's certainly helped me get through my divorce over the last 6 months :( ...it's been quite surreal how apt the lyrics have been and even though it's not an 'easy listen' on the ears somehow it's quite therapeutic to listen to when you are going through a similar experience...he captures the emotional angst superbly! 'Fire in the forest' has become my personal anthem....I listen to it every day to remind me that there is always some underlying larger reality at work in our lives... :)
becky
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby ProgRocker on Mon May 18, 2009 10:58 pm

Don't get me wrong, I love Blemish, but it's like my fifth favorite Sylvian album (after The First Day, Secrets Of The Beehive, Snow Borne Sorrow, and Dead Bees On A Cake, in that order.) I have to be in the right mood to hear it.
ProgRocker
Noob
Noob

Postby becky on Tue May 19, 2009 1:47 pm

Yes you definitely need to be in a certain state of mind to be able to sit through Blemish in it's entirety!
becky
Obsessed
Obsessed

Re: New album coming soon?

Postby inkinthewell on Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:18 am

Just found this on ds.it (this is a free and quick translation):
"Once again Manafon's release has been delayed. Today (17/6 or 6/17, as you like it), Opium let me know that this is due to circumstances beyond Samadhisound's control, and that no release date has yet been settled."
At the end, Gianluigi wonders if it will be out this year...
:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :smt022
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - JL 1940-1980
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby neonico on Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:02 pm

:oops: i think i was in a bad mood last night ive deleted it sorry folks! :oops:
Last edited by neonico on Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:22 am, edited 4 times in total.
neonico

Postby camphorvan on Sat Jun 20, 2009 4:39 pm

Que?!
camphorvan
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby inkinthewell on Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:39 pm

camphorvan wrote:Que?!

Is that you, Manuel? :lol:
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - JL 1940-1980
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby baht habit on Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:34 pm

inkinthewell wrote:
camphorvan wrote:Que?!

Is that you, Manuel? :lol:

I'm with Camphor on this one. His was an entirely appropriate question in response to neonico's post....so allow me to rephrase it:

Say what? :?
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby gokartmozart on Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:28 pm

I am a fan of Imogen Heap and similar to DS, it has been over 2 years since her last CD. I was thinking of her and Sade all the while we are anticipating Manafon's release. Now there is a Sade thread so I won't mention her but I was contrasting in my mind how polar opposite Imogen has been to DS, vis-a-vis the lead up to a new work.

She has been Video blogging periodically over the last year or so as she built a new studio in a new home, laying down backing tracks and previewing bits and pieces, talking about song inspirations, silly happenings in her life and trying out new musical contraptions. It's been fun to watch. Now she has posted that she is finished(!!!) is SO joyous and the infectious nature of the YouTube post is most heartwarming, as she talks about how the creation of this album has ruled her life for over a year, night and day. If you are curious...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWwSJh2vk4s This is also a final V-blog, wrapping up and thanking her fans (it's twelve minutes long!).

I would hope someday to see a video diary of the making of Manafon or the next Nine Horses work. Do you think DS would ever be open to devoting time and energy to that? Would make a cracker of a double DVD (together with a live show or packaged with the CD)... Samadhisound? Are you listening? :D
gokartmozart
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby baht habit on Wed Jun 24, 2009 9:58 pm

I can't claim this for sure but there actually may be some sort of video release detailing the sessions for Manafon, which could be either on DVD or possibly available for download on samadhisound.com. According to Jon Abbey from Erstwhile Records, some sessions were filmed while in progress and something may come of that. I think davidsylvian.net received some confirmation regarding such a thing, so it may be a strong possibility. We will have to see, won't we?
And Imogen Heap is quite unique. To be honest, I am only familiar with her contributions to the recent Jeff Beck live DVD but she definitely made an impression.
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby jon abbey on Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:11 am

hello... :D

baht habit wrote: According to Jon Abbey from Erstwhile Records, some sessions were filmed while in progress and something may come of that.

actually I don't think I said this, what I said was that there were interviews shot later which I believe are intended for a DVD.

anyway, I know a little more than has leaked, but just about personnel groupings, not much else. I joined in case people are interested in talking more about the other musicians involved on Manafon, but I'm not sure which section to start a thread on those musicians, Erstwhile and the EAI world. if someone would like to do that, I'd be happy to answer any questions I could, it's an extremely exciting area of music IMO (and evidently in David's O also).
jon abbey
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby baht habit on Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:52 am

jon abbey wrote:hello... :D
I joined in case people are interested in talking more about the other musicians involved on Manafon, but I'm not sure which section to start a thread on those musicians, Erstwhile and the EAI world. if someone would like to do that, I'd be happy to answer any questions I could, it's an extremely exciting area of music IMO (and evidently in David's O also).

Welcome. Obviously, I would be extremely interested in such discussion. I am still playing 'catch-up' in regards to the recent trends in electro-acoustic improvisation. I must plead ignorance of the entire genre and the experimentation taking place on Erstwhile until I was informed in 2005 that Sylvian had begun working with musicians such as Keith Rowe and members of Polwechsel. I had first been somewhat introduced to Keith Rowe's work back in the mid 80s when I checked out two AMM records from the local public library. I admit that it was way beyond my teenage grasp of appreciation at the time. :oops: I am definitely finding much to appreciate in the realm of EAI and I am sure that others here would enjoy and benefit greatly as well from your participation in this forum. I recommend starting a thread in the general discussion part of the David Sylvian section on this forum - topic heading could be as stark as 'Erstwhile', if you wish to do so.
Thanks so much for this opportunity.
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

PreviousNext

Return to Solo Work