New album coming soon

From Brilliant Trees through Died In The Wool...

Re: New album coming soon

Postby inkinthewell on Thu Jun 25, 2009 1:36 pm

jon abbey wrote:I joined in case people are interested in talking more about the other musicians involved on Manafon, but I'm not sure which section to start a thread on those musicians, Erstwhile and the EAI world.

Welcome. Great to have you here.
I would be very interested in a Manafon Musicians/Erstwhile thread. I don't know much about most of these musicians, I've been listening to something on the net, and in the end I'm diffident and attracted at the same time. Certainly a work like Manafon promises to be will be very helpful in making this kind of music more familiar to 'normal' listeners like myself (for example: I started listening to Fennesz because David Sylvian worked with him on Venice; I didn't like it much at first except for 'Transit', but, listening to it again and again it got better and better, and now I've got almost all of his solo CDs and I love them).
So, why not begin with a brief introduction of them all. I'm sure the questions will flow.

baht habit wrote:I recommend starting a thread in the general discussion part of the David Sylvian section on this forum - topic heading could be as stark as 'Erstwhile', if you wish to do so.

Seems sensible enough to me.
Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans - JL 1940-1980
inkinthewell
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby jon abbey on Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:26 pm

thanks, guys.

inkinthewell wrote:So, why not begin with a brief introduction of them all. I'm sure the questions will flow.

well, I'm not doing that, but like I said, I am happy to answer any questions that people have or get involved in any discussions if someone else wants to start a thread about the musicians I work with.

as for intros, I write brief bios of all musicians on Erst CDs when I write the PR for that CD, and all of those are linked from the respective pages on my site, so if you were looking for someone specific, it wouldn't be too hard to find (and depending on who it is, I can tell you if there are other worthwhile sites for additional info).

one point I can address briefly here:

"I don't know much about most of these musicians, I've been listening to something on the net, and in the end I'm diffident and attracted at the same time."

electroacoustic music/EAI doesn't always translate so well to MP3s, I'd recommend listening to CD quality files or CDs, through speakers if possible (headphones remove the spatial element). this is a large topic, but that's the short version.
jon abbey
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Simonp on Thu Jun 25, 2009 3:12 pm

Hi Jon. Good to have you on the forums. Did you work with Sylvian in the studio or was your input recorded then sent via the net to David? It seems to be the way he works these days. Have you actually heard any of the completed Manafon material and if so what's your thoughts on it? Sylvian's work divides his fans greatly and Blemish certainly split the fan into two distinct camps!
Cheers
Simon
MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby neonico on Thu Jun 25, 2009 4:53 pm

hi jon glad to have you here welcome :-D :-D :-D

will there be a dvd and a silly question does david have long or short hair :smt006 :smt006 :smt006
neonico

Postby jon abbey on Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:55 pm

Simonp wrote:Hi Jon. Good to have you on the forums. Did you work with Sylvian in the studio or was your input recorded then sent via the net to David? It seems to be the way he works these days. Have you actually heard any of the completed Manafon material and if so what's your thoughts on it? Sylvian's work divides his fans greatly and Blemish certainly split the fan into two distinct camps!
Cheers
Simon

OK, this is a good opportunity to clear up some misapprehensions that have been circulating....

I had nothing to do with Manafon, no direct or indirect input and I haven't been in touch at all with David for 3-4 years now (also, I'm not a musician in case that's not clear, I'm a electroacoustic improv producer/label owner). I have a general idea as to what's been going on from talking to the musicians, but in general, I only know a little more than the rest of you, and nothing too specific.

I know that David was introduced to the EAI world via Christian Fennesz, who works a lot with Keith Rowe, etc, etc. Because of his Fennesz connection, David flew from London to Cologne to attend the AMPLIFY festival I put on there in 2004, schedule here:

http://www.erstwhilerecords.com/live/amplify04.html

I'm not sure how many of those musicians he was familiar with before that festival, but he was obviously aware of them afterwards. It seems like the recordings for Manafon began soon after that (maybe even some were before? dunno, maybe you guys know better).

I eagerly await the results of all of his sessions with what are most of my favorite musicians in the world, and plan to offer him my help/input soon on any future projects he may work on in this area.
jon abbey
Fanatic
Fanatic

Previous

Return to Solo Work