Exit/Delete

From Brilliant Trees through Died In The Wool...

Exit/Delete

Postby becky on Wed Oct 15, 2008 7:25 am

Does anyone else think that the clink, clink type sounds in the background of Exit/Delete sound a bit like someone doing the washing up in the backgrond?! (Or is there just something up with my Ipod?) I can't listen to the song now without getting this image of David standing by his kitchen sink singing along while washing up his cups and glasses or milk bottles. Sometimes in my mind he is wearing marigold gloves... :wink:
becky
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby godisinthesilences on Wed Oct 15, 2008 6:47 pm

hee hee... clever image ... hee hee
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby billster on Mon Oct 20, 2008 4:56 pm

Its the sound of the click track from the mac...

btw..this is, i think daves second song about masturbation..
billster
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby untitled on Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:28 pm

Wow...I wish I hadn't read that :(
I found the way, by the sound of your voice.
untitled
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby becky on Tue Oct 21, 2008 1:26 pm

Oh billster I was just trying to be light hearted and you have SO lowered the tone! :roll: (I'm not even quite sure what you meant actually...and i'm not sure I want to know!
becky
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby billster on Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:33 am

Lowered the tone? really?

I guess the first song about playing the pink oboe solo was Rhodesia...

Well, not about but it mentioned it.

Exit7delete seems to me to start with the scenario of caroline buffing the mallow in order to get to sleep.

Listen to the lyrics. Thats my interpertation, anyhoo.
billster
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby becky on Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:26 am

Now I'm not sure if you genuinely mean this this or are just pulling my leg for a laugh! Maybe i am just too innocent but I have listened to this song many times because, apart from the slightly clumsy and unsteady rhythm section, I think it's beautiful- and I've just never interpreted the lyrics in this way. I've always assumed (maybe wrongly?!) that it depicts the emotionally tortuous journey from the initial break down in a long term relationship towards the final culmination of divorce. (I always read the line 'Caroline feels uncomfortably numb as emotionally numb rather than physically! and 'she's in deep, surrendering to the promise of sleep' as in she's in deep trouble (having wronged the other person), or mired in the emotional mess of a break up and using sleep as an escape from painful reality.

That's my interpretation...but isn't that the beauty of good art...it has a life of it's own and can be read in so many different ways!
becky
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby untitled on Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:07 am

I am mentally scrubbing my mind with a brillo pad to erase Billsters interpretation....perfectly entitled to have it obviously. But still, not for me :)

I'd always taken it to be a song about an isolated girl on the verge of suicide.

Hey ho!
untitled
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby becky on Wed Oct 22, 2008 8:43 am

mmm...that's a fascinating interpretation. I can definitely see how you read the lyrics this way - a more romantic and poetic take than on it than billsters! (Sorry billster - no disrespect intended!) I think maybe I've got stuck interpreting them the way I do because Sylvian also uses the name Caroline in the Nine Horses track 'Get the Hell Out' ('Caroline your breaking my heart - but I remain unchanged') and given the content and subject mater of most of his recent work, I've often felt that he is making a thinly veiled reference to Ingrid, especially given the nature of their break-up and also because she also wrote a poem entitled 'Delete.'
becky
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby billster on Wed Oct 22, 2008 10:56 am

Sure..its just my interpertation..´Plays an adience of one´triggered it I guess.

I find it a bit disturbing that you would be so disturbed by such subject matter though..or by the idea that Sylvian would explore it..

Maybe it is about his Ex wife..but that doesnt rule out her sexuality, surely, whatever form it takes?

Anyway. I hope my interpertation is what Sylvian had in mind because Again, confirms his strength and feralessness as a great writer.
billster
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby becky on Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:52 am

You've got a good point there billster...blimey, mmm...maybe I've turned into a bit of a prude in my old age! :oops:
becky
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby untitled on Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:00 pm

Not disturbed by the idea at all. But, in my head it's just such a sweet little song - I'd like to keep it that way.

I liked his sexy songs - I kind of miss that side of him :)
untitled
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby camphorvan on Wed Oct 22, 2008 1:36 pm

I've always found it to be a sweet little song too and I like the fact it's purposefully recorded in a lo-fi kind of way (all the rage duntchya know - like those new fangled Beatle chaps). For me, it's about loss and coping with loss - in love, not in death. It might also be about turtles, but I'm not sure about that yet.
camphorvan
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby neonico on Wed Oct 22, 2008 4:49 pm

yes i dig the marigold gloves thing he he he .............

and yes the

brillo pad

snigger......... :-D :-D :-D

sorry i had to give my bit.

shame that gods hasent seen this thread :roll:

only kidding guys i find becky interpretation really cool 8) but also
billsters interpretation 8)

also by the way a little bit of promotion listen to the New Orphidice album: Transit its really amazing :-D stop the commercial junk ,

kill the record companies, buy this great album.

always look in youtube.

anti chart fan...... :-D
neonico

Postby godisinthesilences on Thu Oct 23, 2008 3:57 pm

sorry i lost the plot on this entire thread....
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Next

Return to Solo Work