Diary of "The World Of Everything Tour" by Takuma

From Brilliant Trees through Died In The Wool...

Diary of "The World Of Everything Tour" by Takuma

Postby E.T. on Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:04 pm

I post it in Japanese first, because I have to type it in Japanese anyway.
I believe it's originally in Japanese. Mr. Watanabe is Japanese. :)
I'm going to translate it later, next days.
I would appreciate if you would help and correct me. :)

Sound & Recording Magazine (12) 2007 December

special report
デヴィッド・シルヴィアン
ワールド・ツアー日記
by 渡辺琢磨(COMBOPIANO, sighboat)

9月初旬の北欧を皮切りにヨーロッパ全域を巡り、この10月末に香港、日本で終焉を迎えたデヴィッド・シルヴィアンのツアー "THE WORLD IS EVERYTHING"。このツアーでデヴィッドは、大胆にも全く面識の無いピアニスト、渡辺琢磨をサポート・メンバーに起用した。その渡辺が、18カ国/30公演を巡るツアー日記を本誌のために執筆。約2カ月半にわたる、世界の大会場を舞台にした彼の奮闘ぶりをここにお伝えしていこう。

17th Aug. London (UK)
 デヴィッドからE-Mailをもらったのが3ヶ月前。前回の来日ツアーの際、彼が偶然入った京都のカフェで僕の曲が流れていて、それを聴いた彼が人伝いに僕の連絡先を入手した・・・・・・という不思議な経緯でコンタクトがあり、ツアー参加が決定。アレヨアレヨという間に、スティーヴ・ジャンセン(ds)の車にデヴィッドとキース・ロウ(b)と一緒に乗り込んで、リハスタに通う毎日が始まりました。同じメンバーでこんなに長くツアーに出るのも初めてですが、特に新鮮なのはインイア・モニターを使用すること。僕もデヴィッドの勧めで、モールドのイアフォンを作りました。かなり違和感があるのですが‚Äù少したてば慣れる‚Äùというデヴィッドの提言もあり、使用を続行することに。しかし耳元で響くデヴィッドの歌声は気持ちいいです。ツアーの内容は、ジャパン時代から現代に至るデヴィッドの集大成的なものになりそうで、オリジナルの演奏者のことを思うと緊張します。

7th Sep. Stockholm(Sweden)
ストックホルムのチャイナ・シアターで初日を迎えました。未体験の欧州のデカ箱に少々とまどっている僕は、まだ自分に与えられた役割に徹するのみですが、一曲目が終了した瞬間、にわか雨のような歓声が!それに乗せられてアッという間にアンコールに突入。大観衆の大海原を4人の音楽家を乗せたボートが意気揚々と航海した感じであります。かじ取りはもちろんデヴィッド。大舞台でのコンディション、ムード作りはさすがにうまいです。

9th Sep. Copenhagen (Denmark)
 今ツアーでは海藤春樹さんが舞台美術/映像などを担当しており、このコペンハーゲン/ロイヤル・シアターまで同行されました。鮮やかなゴールドの色調からブルーへとグラデーションする映像が投影され、オーディエンスをデヴィッド・ワールドに引き込む原動力になっています。セットの中間を過ぎた辺りで雪のようなものが降ってくるのですが、ステージを和ませる気持ち良い演出で、演奏中にもかかわらずうっとりみとれています。
 クリックに合わせてライヴをするのにもまだまだ慣れが必要ですが、超タイトなグルーヴをたたき出すスティーヴが‚Äùオレを見ていれば大丈夫だ‚Äùと励ましてくれます。

12th Sep. Dublin (Ireland)
このツアー、2階建てのバスで移動しています。インターネットに接続できる環境もあり大変便利なのですが、僕はあまり三半規管が強くないので、長時間の車移動は結構こたえます。
 今回のツアー、各会場のキャパは1,000人以上で、大体がコンサート・ホール/シアター的な様相です。しかし、ここダブリンの会場、Vicar Streetだけは、どちらかというと大きいライブ・ハウスといった趣。そのかわり、オーディエンスのフィードバックはすごかった! ケンカ言葉に聴こえてしまうような絶叫も、デヴィッドやスティーヴのリアクションを見る限り何か楽しそうなので、おそらく行き過ぎた歓声だったのでしょう(笑)。

17th Sep. London (UK)
ロンドンに戻ってきました。ロイヤル・フェスティバル・ホールはツアー序盤の山場となる会場。サイズも雰囲気もやはりワンステップ上がる感じでした。デヴィッドに‚Äù動揺さえしなければ、オーディエンスはいつもタクのことを信じ続けてくれる‚Äùと励まされ、何とか本番を乗り切ったのですが、終演後のパーティーで僕の演奏を褒めてくれる方がいらっしゃいました‚Ķ‚Ķそれが何と、元ジャパンのキーボーディスト、リチャード・バルビエリさん!

21th Sep. Paris (France)
 十年来の友達でパリ在住の半野善弘さん、sighboatの同士である内田也哉子さん、頼もしい2人の来場もあって、とてもリラックス&ハイテンションで演奏できました。終演後はクリスチャン・フェネス夫妻と対面。フェネス氏にピアノのアプローチを褒められて有頂天に。デヴィッドをリスペクトしながらシンプルに自分を出すアプローチ‚Ķ‚Ķようやく僕も"サポート"ではなく"バンドの一員"になれてきたような気がします。

2nd Oct. Amsterdam (Netherlands)
 イタリアで5公演を行った後、アムステルダム入り。会場のRaiというホールはとても素晴らしく、柱型の客電が空間全体を広々と演出しており、久々のSTEINWAYピアノも心地よく響きわたります。こういう会場では、さすがにイアモニを外して演奏したくなります。

6th Oct. Berlin (Germany)
 先週からメイン・シンセのNOVATION K-Station用ACアダプターが接触不良になり、代用品をあれこれ試しても思うように作動しません。そこでベルリン公演に来る瀬川雄太氏(SUBTLE)に連絡を入れ、同一規格品を日本で調達し持参してほしい、と伝えておいたのです。それが無事届けられ、電源を入れると、"オォ!"というにわか大仰な歓声が上がりました!日本の楽器屋はやっぱり手堅い!?終演後、ナイン・ホーセズのバーント・フリードマン氏が楽屋に顔を出してくれました。

13th Oct. Skopje (Macedonia)
 町で1つしかないホール、ユニバーサル・ホールが会場。外装はかなり荒んでいる感じなのですが、ステージや内装は風格ある欧州の劇場といった趣です。いぶし銀の調律師は一向に調律をせず、スクリャービンを演奏。とてもお上手なので聴き入ってしまいます。ロシアの大作曲家が、なぜかとてもしっくりくる会場でした。

27th Oct. Hong Kong (China)
 ポルトガル、スペインを回り、ヒースロー経由で1980年代の東京のようなテンションの香港へ。何と!パッド用シンセのKORG R3が盗まれてしまいました。ツアーマネージャーのパトリックが同じものを見つけてきてくれて事なきを得ましたが‚Ķ‚Ķ。

30th Oct. Tokyo (Japan)
 一昨日、やっと日本に戻ってきました。昨日の大阪公演からデヴィッドが体調を崩し、今日の最終公演では数曲をドロップすることに。ツアー中「オーディエンスにベストなパフォーマンスで応えたい」という、常々デヴィッドが口にしていた気持ち、「過去のレパートリーをそれ以下の内容にするくらいなら演奏しない方がよい」という妥協を許さない徹底した姿勢が、変更を余儀なくしたのだと思います。まして曲中に歌い手の自分がせきをするなど、彼の信念では有り得なかったはずです。劣悪なコンディションでも、可能な最善手をすべて出し尽くし演奏した、最終日だったと思います。主役であるデヴィッドの声を引き立てながら表現をしていく、これは大きな経験になりました。同時に優れた音楽家で人格者のデヴィッド、バス酔いの僕を介抱してくれた優しいスティーヴ、フランクで良き相談役であったキースから、音楽以上に何かを学べたと思います。まだ終わった実感はありませんが、明日は自分のライヴ、明後日はレコーディング‚Ķ‚Ķ荷を降ろせるのはいつになるのやら‚Ķ‚Ķ(笑)。
Last edited by E.T. on Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:38 pm, edited 11 times in total.
whatever gets you through the night
E.T.
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby E.T. on Wed Sep 17, 2008 12:05 pm

David Sylvian
world tour diary
by Takuma Watanabe (COMBOPIANO, sighboat))

Start in North Europe in the beginning of September, and went round the European whole area, tour "THE WORLD IS EVERYTHING" of David Sylvian ended in Hong Kong, then Japan in this the end of October. David appointed pianist without the acquaintance, Takuma Watanabe as a support member by this tour really boldly. Watanabe writes a tour diary over the 18 countries /30 performance for our magazine. This is about a way of his strenuous efforts on the big stages of world for about 2 and a half months.

17th Aug. London(UK)
I got a E-Mail from David 3 months ago. In the case of the last visit of Japan tour, my music drifts in a cafe in Kyoto where he entered accidentally, and there is a contact by mysterious process called ...... that he who listened to it obtained my address along a person, and tour participation is decided. Before anyone knew what was going on, got in a car of Steve Jansen(ds) with David and Keith Lowe (b), it was began to go to rehearsal studio everyday. It is the first time that I go for a tour with the same member so for a long time, but what is particularly fresh is using in-ear monitor. I made earphone of the mold with the advice of David, too. There is considerably sense of incongruity, but there is the proposal of David "to be used to in a little", and continuing use. However, the singing voice of David sounding at ears is comfortable. The contents of the tour seem to consist of the Japan era to a thing of the collected studies of David to the present age, I tense when I think of those original players.

7th Sep. Stockholm(Sweden)
We reached the first day in China theater in Stockholm. I am puzzled a little over a non-experience European huge stage, I just put my heart and soul into the role that was given to me, but there was a shower of cheer the moment we finished the first tune! Ride on it, we entered into the encore in a flash. It is like four musicians on the boat sailed the ocean of the large audience triumphantly. Of course, David is steering. He is indeed good at the making of mood and the condition by the superlative performance.
Last edited by E.T. on Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
E.T.
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby heartofdavid on Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:21 pm

E.T. wrote:It is like four musicians on the boat sailed the ocean of the large audience triumphantly. Of course, David is steering.

Love this image, Captain David. Thanks for sharing this with us.
Hallucinating lucidity
heartofdavid
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby neonico on Wed Sep 17, 2008 4:28 pm

thanks for the amazing translation do you have more of this. this is a really cool diary.
neonico

Postby natsume on Thu Sep 18, 2008 2:53 am

That is pretty awesome that he was chosen for the tour so serendipitously...
natsume
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby E.T. on Thu Sep 18, 2008 12:45 pm

9th Sep. Copenhagen(Denmark).
Haruki Kaido is in charge of stage art / pictures in this tour now, and he accompanied to this Copenhagen / royal theater. A picture doing gradation is reflected from a color of bright gold to blue and becomes a driving force to draw audiences into David world. Something fall like snow, when passed about the middle of a set, that is comfortable direction to let a stage soften, I look at it in fascination with rapture during a performance though.
I have to still get used to play live with clicks, but Steve making super tight grooves encourages me, "watch me, and you'll be all right."(on stage)

Thank you for your kind messages :D
but I'm sorry for my poor English.
I just throw Japanese into some translation page, and add some edit. sometimes results are so strange!
Last edited by E.T. on Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
E.T.
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby E.T. on Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:12 pm

12th Sep. Dublin (Ireland)
We move this tour, by double-decker bus. There is the environment that can connect with the Internet, and it is very convenient, but my semicircular canals are not very strong, the car movement for the long time is pretty hard on me.
This tour, capacity of each venue are over 1,000, and mostly concert hall / theater aspect. However, only venue of here Dublin, Vicar Street is such as the big live house. So the feedback of audience was terrible! The exclamation that sounded like quarrel words would be excessive shout of joy, as far as reaction of David and Steve seemed happy. :D

17th Sep. London (UK)
We came back to London. The venue where Royal Festival Hall is the climax of the tour early stages. After all both the size and the atmosphere were felt like one graded up. I was encouraged by David, "audiences would always continue believing Taku, if you are not even shaken" and I rode out a public performance somehow, but a gentleman praised my performance at a party after the curtain came...... he was the keyboardist of former Japan, Mr. Richard Barbieri!

21th Sep. Paris (France)
My friend of ten years, Hanno Yoshihiro resident in Paris, and a fellow sighboat Yayako Uchida, with two reliable arrival, I was able to play at all it in relaxation & high tension. I met Mrs. and Mr. Christian Fennesz after in the curtain. Mr. Fennesz praised my approach of piano, I was in raptures over it. With respect to David and approach express myself simply......I finally feel like I'm getting a "member of the band", not "support".

2nd Oct. Amsterdam (Netherlands)
After having 5 performances in Italy, we entered Amsterdam. The hall called Rai is very splendid, and pillar-shaped lights visitor's side directs the whole space spaciously, and the STEINWAY piano after a long time echoes pleasantly. I'd like to take off ear monitors if I could in such hall, and play piano though.

6th Oct. Berlin (Germany)
An AC adapter for NOVATION K-Station of the main synthesizer is poor in contact from last week and does not operate as expected even if we try a substitute this and that. Therefore I made contact with Yuta Segawa(SUBTLE), who comes for Berlin performance, I asked him to get the same standardized goods in Japan and bring it with him. When it is sent safely, and switch it on; "Oh!" suddenly, an exaggerated shout of joy broke out! After all a Japanese musical instrument person is steady!? After the curtain, Mr. Burnt Friedman of Nine Horses came to the dressing room.

13th Oct. Skopje (Macedonia)
Only 1 hall in a town, Universal Hall is the venue. The outward decoration seems like considerably harden, but the stage and the interior decoration have an atmosphere such as the European theater with personality. The tuner of the having a latent power, does not tune it at all and plays Skriabin. I listen attentively because he plays the piano very well. Somehow a Russian great composer matched very nicely with the venue.

27th Oct. Hong Kong (China)
Over Portugal, Spain, via Heathrow, to Hong Kong with the feeling of Tokyo in 1980's. Oh what! KORG R3 of a synthesizer for pads has been stolen. Patrick of the tour manager found the same thing, and nothing went worse......
Last edited by E.T. on Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:46 pm, edited 7 times in total.
E.T.
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:09 pm

awesome thanks for sharing that. Great to get such response from richard :-)
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby E.T. on Tue Sep 23, 2008 12:37 pm

30th Oct. Tokyo (Japan)
At last we came back to Japan the day before yesterday. David have got out of shape from the yesterday's Osaka performance, and drop several pieces by today's last performance. I think that his thorough attitude "I had better not play if I do a past repertory in contents of the thereunder" which do not permit the compromise, forced it to a change. For the feeling that David always said during a tour, "I want to reply to audiences by the best performance". Besides, himself of the singer coughed between music, it must have been impossible for his principle. I think that it was the last day when it gives all the possible best hands and played even inferior condition. While I express, I set the voice of David off who was the leading role, it was big experience for me. At the same time, I think that I was able to learn anything than music from them, David of the man of integrity and a superior musician, kind Steve who nursed me of the bussick , a frank and good consultant Keith. There is not yet the actual feeling that was over, but tomorrow is my live, the day after tomorrow is recording...... When I take a load off my mind?......(laugh).
Last edited by E.T. on Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
E.T.
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby neonico on Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:55 pm

thanks for the translation ET i loved reading it. great work, amazing what youve done here again many thanks.
neonico

Postby E.T. on Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:00 am

:D
E.T.
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Nath on Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:58 am

so many thanks for the translation...

Nath
Nath
Everything & Nothing