Favorite David Sylvian solo album?

From Brilliant Trees through Died In The Wool...

What is your favorite David Sylvian solo album?

Brilliant Trees
30%
Alchemy: an index of possibilities
No votes
Gone to Earth
20%
Secrets of the Beehive
35%
Dead Bees on a Cake
10%
Blemish
5%
The Good Son and the Only Daughter
No votes

Total votes : 40

Postby godisinthesilences on Fri May 19, 2006 3:09 pm

I do love Brilliant Trees and Secrets of the Beehive, but as for having a really intimate view into david's life I think Blemish is the best lp he has ever produced. As an artist I want to really feel an emotional connection with another artist... which the first two lps give, but more important is an intellectual and psychological insight which Blemish gives over hands down.
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby kinki on Fri May 19, 2006 5:59 pm

I only know Brilliant Trees - *hangs head in shame* - but will be buying SotB ASAP as so many people think it's good...

The others will no doubt follow in quick succession...somehow I think my bank balance is going to take a hammering in the next few weeks....
kinki
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Silver Moon on Fri May 19, 2006 6:12 pm

After buying SOTB you should check out Gone to Earth, this poll may not say so- But it is definitly as good as the others! Alchemy is also a great instrumental album! Steel Cathedrals is awesome to listen to when your home alone, or in the dark... Creepy!

-Kera-
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby MoodyB on Fri May 19, 2006 6:19 pm

Silver Moon wrote:After buying SOTB you should check out Gone to Earth, this poll may not say so- But it is definitly as good as the others! Alchemy is also a great instrumental album! Steel Cathedrals is awesome to listen to when your home alone, or in the dark... Creepy!

-Kera-

The great thing about David is that he doesn't rest on his laurels, each album is unique and different from the previous...I love them all in their own right, GTE is a wonderful dark and broody album, full of wonderful atmospherics...SOTB is open, stripped down (and yet still somehow lush!), full of great acoustic moments.
I would say that SOTB is one of the finest produced albums ever made, the mixing quality is phenomenal!
"Before you play two notes learn how to play one note - and don't play one note unless you've got a reason to play it." - Mark Hollis (1998)

http://www.chriscrader.com/
http://stores.lulu.com/Eurotech
MoodyB
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby kinki on Fri May 19, 2006 6:20 pm

Thanks Kera - I know I will end up buying the lot.....otherwise what sort of obsessive would I be? :D
kinki
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Silver Moon on Fri May 19, 2006 6:42 pm

Yes but it's just so much fun! As soon as you open up that plastic and hold it, bouncing on your heels squeeling like a little girl.... *Looks around* Or... At least, someone might do that... :smt040

-Kera-
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby godisinthesilences on Fri May 19, 2006 11:59 pm

oooohhhh i forgot about GTE... how on E could i do that! I love that cd!
I love the Shaman instrumentals at the end of the one version of Brilliant Trees I have. In fact I took my photography work and made a slide show of it using Shaman Part I: Ancient Evening. Wish I could share it with y'all
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby proggrl on Sat May 20, 2006 9:54 am

Silver Moon wrote:After buying SOTB you should check out Gone to Earth, this poll may not say so- But it is definitly as good as the others!

-Kera-

I absolutely agree with that. For a while it was right beneath SOTB for me in terms of how much I listened to it. Great album.
Trust the proggrl.
proggrl
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby krausy on Sat May 20, 2006 11:12 pm

Wow, difficult question.

Sooo, I had to go with a practical answer for now. I chose Gone to Earth because it was the first Sylvian solo album I owned, but I really like Brilliant Trees. Secets of the Beehive is great too. Every album has a favorite and well, it's his work so it is difficult to pick just one over the others.
krausy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Silver Moon on Wed May 24, 2006 8:20 pm

I was thinking about putting an "All of the above" Option, but scratched that idea because I knew everyone would pick that one! Sorry!

-Kera-
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby lennbob on Mon May 29, 2006 11:52 am

For me, it used to be Gone To Earth - no question. These days, it is still Gone To Earth, but it is usually a toss-up between that, Brilliant Trees, and Alchemy (the original version, not the re-issued version with the two instrumentals from the "Pop Song" single).

Kevin
lennbob
Noob
Noob

Postby Melaszka on Fri Mar 30, 2007 2:10 pm

I went for Secrets of the Beehive, because overall it's probably my favourite, but it so much depends on what mood I'm in or how badly I've overplayed it recently!
Melaszka
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby BeehiveSecrets on Mon Jul 23, 2007 6:10 pm

Secrets? :)
BeehiveSecrets
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby ProgRocker on Sat Aug 18, 2007 5:08 pm

Normally, I would say Secrets of The Beehive, but I've come to a better appreciation of Dead Bees On A Cake recently. So currently, that's my favorite album. 8)
ProgRocker
Noob
Noob

Postby Burnsjed on Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:03 am

Mine is deffinately GTE followd by SOTB, though the album I listen to the most is Blemish.
Burnsjed
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

PreviousNext

Return to Solo Work