What I don't want from Sylvian...

From Brilliant Trees through Died In The Wool...

What I don't want from Sylvian...

Postby Simonp on Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:19 pm

there are rumours abound that Sylvian's new solo album will be out later this year. Now i'm excited as the next person but please let's not have another Blemish or something even more exerimental. I want melody...uplifting vocals....beautifully crafted songs....NOT and I repeat NOT another "The Good Son"

Please David...
MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Chet on Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:38 pm

agree...
love Blemish, but I don't want one more like that either.
But I'd love to be surprised.
and I hope for beauty...
And my heart sings of many things
Chet
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:51 pm

yes it is a shame david doesn't give his fans what they want.... I totally would love another wonderfully crafted ... beautifully melodic... lovingly wonderful cd. I understand the need for his experimentation, but we love the vocal melodies.... All the clicking, buzzing, hissing and moaning in the world doesn't touch us nearly in the same manner. LOL

I am however very curious to see what he will release since he's said he doesn't want to do the typical vocalist type cd again.... guess we'll all see....
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby natsume on Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:53 pm

I would be very satisfied with a "return" to melody and more traditional arrangements. Even a full album of light acoustic stuff like It'll Never Happen Again would be awesome.

But, I don't care what he does. I've been with him for a quarter century, and I trust his vision, for the most part. It would take two more Blemish-type albums for me to start to want him to lighten up. Though I kind of doubt he will do that. I do suspect that there will be a bit of Blemish in some of the new work.
natsume
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Tue Jul 15, 2008 4:55 pm

natsume wrote:I would be very satisfied with a "return" to melody and more traditional arrangements. Even a full album of light acoustic stuff like It'll Never Happen Again would be awesome.

But, I don't care what he does. I've been with him for a quarter century, and I trust his vision, for the most part. It would take two more Blemish-type albums for me to start to want him to lighten up. Though I kind of doubt he will do that. I do suspect that there will be a bit of Blemish in some of the new work.

wow that was really well put... thank you... that is what i was meaning to say too :-)
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Melaszka on Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:29 pm

What I don't want from Sylvian is the album he thinks he ought to release, rather than the album he actually wants to release.

Blemish is not always the easiest thing to listen to and I know what you mean about yearning for his more melodic work. But then again, what I love about Sylvian (and my other favourite artists) is that they don't keep giving me the same old same old. They keep stretching me, taking me way out of my comfort zone and making me try things I would never have thought about listening to before.

I'd hate him to go all experimental just for the sake of being experimental and some oneupmanship exercise to prove how "cutting edge" he is. But as long as his heart and soul is in it, I'll be happy with whatever he brings out, whether it's completely avant-garde or very accessible.
Melaszka
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby baht habit on Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:29 pm

The upcoming release will most likely not be as bleak as 'blemish'. But all of the signposts so far point to a challenging product. From the roster of contributors that I am aware of so far, I get the hunch that beauty and melody won't be the overall aim.
Recording began back in 2004, right after the conclusion of the Fire In The Forest Tour. The majority of contributors have been affiliated with the Erstwhile Records label and they are an extremely experimental bunch of artists. With hindsight and the opportunity to get better aquainted with this record label, it would be simple to conclude that Sylvian was very influenced by these artists when he created 'blemish'.
Many of these musicians have worked together in various situations over the past decade.
It appears that Christian Fennesz has been the procurer of these players. Members of an ensemble from Vienna named Polwechsel collaborated with Fennesz on their Wrapped Islands cd from 2002. Guitarist Burkhard Stangl, bassist Werner Dafeldecker and drummer/percussionist Martin Brandlmayr are all slated to be on the upcoming release. There's been no confirmation but I had read that Polwechsel's saxophonist John Butcher also took part in a session.
Other confirmed contributors include table top guitarist Keith Rowe (who seems to be the defacto 'godfather' of this subversive movement which has been christened 'electro-acoustic improvisation), pianist John Tilbury and saxophonist Evan Parker. Rowe and Tilbury worked in the avantgarde ensembles AMM and MIMEO. Parker had worked in free-jazz combos with Rowe and his troupe, as well as having worked with Derek Bailey in various combos.
Sachiko Matsubara and Toshimaru Nakamura have added their electronics and sample glitches to releases with Fennesz and Rowe and they both have taken part in sessions for the upcoming release - they are both on the Sylvian / Brandlmayr collaboration "Sleepwalkers".
I recommend checking out the Erstwhile Records website and listening to a few of the samples of these artists.
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:40 pm

wow baht you have a crazy wonderful knowlege on all this! Thank you for sharing.
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby sonic_chronicler on Tue Jul 15, 2008 7:29 pm

I'm happy to hear more experiments. I don't subscribe to the 'give the fans what they want' school of thought. I can understand why you would want 'more of the same' because it's great stuff, but (to me at least) so is Blemish - It's up there with his best works in my book.

Sylvian's fanbase isn't just people who grew up with Japan anymore - it hasn't been since he started working with the bunch of musicians on Brilliant Trees.

sonic
sonic_chronicler
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Re: What I don't want from Sylvian...

Postby VaporTrail on Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:00 pm

Simonp wrote:there are rumours abound that Sylvian's new solo album will be out later this year. Now i'm excited as the next person but please let's not have another Blemish or something even more exerimental. I want melody...uplifting vocals....beautifully crafted songs....NOT and I repeat NOT another "The Good Son"

I wouldn't want that at all, as he's already done that. Why more of the same?

I'm really looking forward to the new work. It's what I love most about David, the fact that he experiments and creates a completely new sound with each album he produces.
VaporTrail
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Silver Moon on Tue Jul 15, 2008 10:14 pm

I agree. I want Mr. Sylvian to make whatever music he wants, not cater to his fans! After all, when people were still wanting 'Tin Drum' and Japan-esque music he did NOT cater to his fans, but made brilliant albums like Brilliant Trees, Gone to Earth, Secrets of the Beehive... New fan favorites. We just have to wait and hear what beautiful music he makes next!

I can't wait to hear the new album!

-K-
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby Chet on Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:07 am

Baht, what you describe sounds amazing...
And my heart sings of many things
Chet
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

expression

Postby neonico on Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:26 am

to expresse ones emotions through music, is not easy what comes out comes out, as a muscian that puts personal and vunerable feelings for everyone to share. as therapie for oneself and for others, that have no means of an outlet. has courage.
i wouldnt want to paint my old paintings or photograph my old photos. or copy there style it wouldn`t be expressing my state of mind at this point in time.
blemish is an album that was needed ,nine horses was something unfinished that had to be finished, we shouldnt live in the past.

what is brought out is a suprise, and special cant wait to hear it.
neonico

As avant garde as he needs to be

Postby Tin Bird on Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:12 am

Hey folks,
I personnally would be very happy if Sylvian continued to experiment. It's amazing to me that a guy that has been making music as long as he has can still find the motivation to branch out and recreate his sound at this stage of his career. More power to him. I loved Blemish and Nine Horses both. I also think the Sleepwalkers track is terrific. How many other artists out there can claim to be reinventing themselves after so many years and still be making music that is "cutting edge" and relevant.
Not many.
When I cannot sing my heart...I can only speak my mind...
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Postby neonico on Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:44 am

when you want to know about update releases look here Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
neonico

Next

Return to Solo Work