What I don't want from Sylvian...

From Brilliant Trees through Died In The Wool...

Re: What I don't want from Sylvian...

Postby Stoobie on Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:25 am

Simonp wrote:there are rumours abound that Sylvian's new solo album will be out later this year. Now i'm excited as the next person but please let's not have another Blemish or something even more exerimental. I want melody...uplifting vocals....beautifully crafted songs....NOT and I repeat NOT another "The Good Son"

Please David...

Hi Simon

As usual, you do bring out those statements or questions which find yourself thinking about our Hero's music. I agree in whole with your original post ! I have to say Blemish is the most difficult album to listen too for me, i can only listen to 2 maybe 3 tracks at a push.....because it lacks some of the comments you made at the end of your post.

Cheers
Stoobie :-D
Stoobie
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Re: What I don't want from Sylvian...

Postby Simonp on Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:01 pm

Stoobie wrote:
Simonp wrote:there are rumours abound that Sylvian's new solo album will be out later this year. Now i'm excited as the next person but please let's not have another Blemish or something even more exerimental. I want melody...uplifting vocals....beautifully crafted songs....NOT and I repeat NOT another "The Good Son"

Please David...

Hi Simon

As usual, you do bring out those statements or questions which find yourself thinking about our Hero's music. I agree in whole with your original post ! I have to say Blemish is the most difficult album to listen too for me, i can only listen to 2 maybe 3 tracks at a push.....because it lacks some of the comments you made at the end of your post.

Cheers
Stoobie :-D

Cheers Stoobie. At least one person agrees with me.

Can I just say I'm a great believer in an artist/singer/songwriter moving forward and not repeating himself. Sylvian has shown us he can do this very easily. I mean check out Brilliant Trees and then look at Gone To Earth or Snow Borne Sorrow for that matter. Very different releases but what hold them all together for me is that they all contain beautifully crafted songs. It's the production, instrumentation and execution that makes them all different. I'm just a sucker for Sylvian's more melodic stuff that's all. I'm not saying I don't like any of his more experimental works. One of my favourite albums by the man is Plight & Premonition. I just prefer when Sylvian is writing music that's a bit more accessible than Blemish.
MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby heartofdavid on Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:53 pm

I'm not really interested in hearing David sing along with yet again another female vocalist, not that he's done so very often. I would like to hear him work with a male vocalist, someone whose voice is in marked contrast to his. Think it could be interesting.
Hallucinating lucidity
heartofdavid
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Simonp on Wed Jul 16, 2008 12:55 pm

what an interesting idea. I've never really considered the possibilities of sylvian singing with another bloke.

Sounds like a plan....now who do we think he should perform a duet with?

Mika?
MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Stoobie on Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:00 pm

i would love him to do something with Andrea Bocelli

Stoobie
Stoobie
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Sylvie on Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:36 pm

being the complete worshiper of blemish that i am, i won't complain if he makes another blemish like album. then again, it is not very likely he does. he will probably not please us all, and i should think that is for the best.
Sylvie
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby heartofdavid on Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:44 pm

Simonp wrote:Sounds like a plan....now who do we think he should perform a duet with?

Thom Yorke, Will Oldham, Elvis Perkins, Marty Willson-Piper, Tom Waits, Steve Wilson, the guy from Sigur Ros (don't know his name), Peter Gabriel, Maynard Keenan, Edward Ka-spel...
Hallucinating lucidity
heartofdavid
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Silver Moon on Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:37 pm

This might seem weird.... But what about Mark Hollis? :)

-K-
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby Slope on Wed Jul 16, 2008 4:54 pm

Sylvie wrote:being the complete worshiper of blemish that i am, i won't complain if he makes another blemish like album. then again, it is not very likely he does. he will probably not please us all, and i should think that is for the best.

I completely agree. I look forward to Sylvian covering new ground.
Slope
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby baht habit on Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:54 pm

godisinthesilences wrote:wow baht you have a crazy wonderful knowlege on all this! Thank you for sharing.

You're welcome - I'm glad you appreciated the info.

I can totally understand how some fans will be disappointed by Sylvian's move away from 'beauty' and 'melody'. I myself was totally anti-'blemish' when I first listened to it - oh my goodness, those first few tracks - I thought Sylvian had flipped his lid from the New Hampshire winter. With time I realized that my initial reaction dealt more with what I wanted to hear rather than what I was listening to at the time.
I am just glad he actually went through with the Nine Horses project - as excellent as the NH material is, I get the feeling he was not fully focused on what was being created. His interests may have lied somewhere else all along and we will have a chance to hear where he is truly coming from very soon. I am sure that many would disagree, but I am of the opinion that his brother and Burnt Friedman really were the catalysts that drove the entire project - both taking turns creating the foundations, recording the musicians and devising the forms for Sylvian to work his magic over.
In regards to the forthcoming release, I will venture a guess that it won't be 'blemish II' as Sylvian doesn't ever work that way, does he? I am hopeful that the material will be similar in tone to Sleepwalkers --- that I can deal with. In any matter, I am bracing myself for the worst, so how bad can it really be? :twisted:
Last edited by baht habit on Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

unfortunately

Postby neonico on Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:56 pm

unfortunately you havent understood the reason why this person writes music . which i said previous and was ignored thats a shame
neonico

Re: unfortunately

Postby baht habit on Wed Jul 16, 2008 6:21 pm

neonico wrote:unfortunately you havent understood the reason why this person writes music . which i said previous and was ignored thats a shame

Is this remark aimed at me? Let me put it plainly for all to see, I had previously read your post and completely agree with your profundity.
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Adrian on Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:42 am

just a quick note from me. I would love the same development into avantgarde or whatever you want to call it that we saw from DBoaC to Blemish; from Blemish to the new album. And no, not for avantgarde's sake or anything like that - Blemish and music like that is what I am really into. I have several cd's by the artists that are rumoured to be working with David on this album and love their stuff...
2 cents, imho, don't shoot the messenger
Adrian
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

subject

Postby neonico on Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:44 am

no and what does profundity mean?
neonico

Postby Sylvie on Thu Jul 17, 2008 10:22 am

Silver Moon wrote:This might seem weird.... But what about Mark Hollis? :)

-K-

i don't see why sylvian has to sing with someone. he is fine on his own. and i wouldn't want hollis to collaborate with anyone else either. he is fine on his own. but if sylvian would make hollis come back to us....i would be forever grateful.
Sylvie
Obsessed
Obsessed

PreviousNext

Return to Solo Work