Ingrid

From Brilliant Trees through Died In The Wool...

Do you like Ingrid's input to David's work?

Yes, it adds a lot to the work
24%
No, it ruins what would otherwise be good songs
29%
I quite like it, but it wouldn't hurt the songs that much if it weren't there
12%
It irritates me a bit, but I still like the songs she's on
35%

Total votes : 17

Ingrid

Postby Melaszka on Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:04 am

This has been raised on a couple of other threads lately, so I thought I'd open the Ingrid can of worms again. What do people think of her contribution to David's work?

I'm kind of neutral to negative. I don't think it adds a great deal, but I don't find it actively offensive, either. In general I like spoken word in music, but I don't find Ingrid's particularly rhythmic, dramatic or innovative and I do find it a bit samey after a while. I'm not familiar with the work she did before she met David (apart from Madonna's "Justify My Love", which I've always liked), but there doesn't seem to me to be a lot of creative development over the course of the stuff she did with David.

However, when I slagged her off on davidsylvian.net once, calling her the Linda McCartney of David's work etc, one of the (many) people who told me off said something which really made me think and makes me much mroe reluctant to criticise her. They pointed out that before she married David, with the patronage of Prince and the contacts she had in the US music business, she actually seemed poised to have a much bigger career than David's. Like a lot of women in the music industry, she effectively sacrificed her own success to support the bloke's career and bring up his kids.

What do other people think? And can anyone who likes her input to David's work help me see what I'm missing?
Last edited by Melaszka on Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Melaszka
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby anortherncod on Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:07 am

I chose the last option - I don't avoid songs she's on, but I don't like her contributions. Mind you I've not listened to DBOAC for aaages...

Natasha
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Chet on Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:15 am

like I've said before... David doesn't need her contribution.
And my heart sings of many things
Chet
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Silver Moon on Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:25 am

Doesn't RUIN it... His work is strong enough to STAND OUT as being special and beautiful no matter who else is a guest vocalist.

-K-
Silver Moon
Site Founder
Site Founder

Postby VaporTrail on Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:26 am

I like the songs she sings on, but I can't stand her voice on them. :smt078
VaporTrail
Obsessed
Obsessed

ingrid

Postby neonico on Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:48 am

i think it could be fustrating bring up kids and not having time to yourself for your own creative work and the isolation that she felt. her work is not my thing musically, but she writes great poems i think this is one of the reasons she went with someone else.
neonico

Postby Sylvie on Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:10 am

there is no good answer for me in this poll, i don't care if she sings/talks on sylvians records or not (but then again i don't like DBOAC, so i rarely listen to it). i guess it is easy for us to say she shouldn't be involved for whatever reason, but at the time i should think it was important to sylvian (and ingrid) that she contributed on a couple of songs.
Sylvie
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby godisinthesilences on Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:40 pm

i very much like her contributions to the music. There is something watery about it that i like... a fluidity. I also like her photography a great deal. I think she is a very gifted woman who made choices in her life to add to one part and lose another. Those types of decisions aren't simple or easy ones...
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

godinthesilence

Postby neonico on Thu Jun 26, 2008 3:47 pm

your are right her photography is great i think it was bad that she went with another guy and hurt david but that is life. to live with someone and supress your creativity is difficult , i haveone of these men at home,
he can do his thing but my thing is always with critic. also i used to be a good muscian sold everyting over 20,000 pounds because he said i didnt have enough time for my kids.
neonico

Re: godinthesilence

Postby godisinthesilences on Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:05 pm

neonico wrote:your are right her photography is great i think it was bad that she went with another guy and hurt david but that is life. to live with someone and supress your creativity is difficult , i haveone of these men at home,
he can do his thing but my thing is always with critic. also i used to be a good muscian sold everyting over 20,000 pounds because he said i didnt have enough time for my kids.

I am sorry you had to do that... Being the best you that you can be ... positive and happy is the best gift you can give your children. Yes they definitely need your time too, but if you are unhappy and sad... it just isn't a healthy child you create that way.

Ingrid is working on new music with an Italian artist... I'm really looking forward to its release.
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Simonp on Fri Jun 27, 2008 12:53 am

I don't rate her voice and her poetry is dreadful. Beautiful looking woman though.
MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Simonp on Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:53 pm

Actually I did enjoy her contribution on Heartbeat and the B sides to I Surrender, Les fleurs Du Mal especially.
MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Mon Jun 30, 2008 2:55 pm

Simonp wrote:Actually I did enjoy her contribution on Heartbeat and the B sides to I Surrender, Les fleurs Du Mal especially.

Oh yes I enjoy that tune as well :-)
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Return to Solo Work