Davids worst songs

From Brilliant Trees through Died In The Wool...

Postby proggrl on Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:32 pm

Tin Bird wrote:Damage was much better...more of David in the mix.

Depending of course on which version you get. As much as I love DS, I do prefer the Fripp mix.
Last edited by proggrl on Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Trust the proggrl.
proggrl
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby VaporTrail on Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:51 pm

Tin Bird wrote:
VaporTrail wrote:
Tin Bird wrote:Can't listen to most of the Sylvian/Fripp First Day album...Firepower/Darshan...etc. Horrid stuff.

Wonderful stuff :). My favorite two tracks from that collaboration.

Really? You prefer Firepower and Darshan to God's Monkey and Jean the Birdman...? I don't get that...

Well, I don't get why you like those two, I tend to skip those when listening. The only time I've liked Jean the Birdman was when David performed it on the FITF tour. I guess it's just a matter of taste.....................................................
VaporTrail
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Tin Bird on Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:09 pm

Well, I don't get why you like those two, I tend to skip those when listening. The only time I've liked Jean the Birdman was when David performed it on the FITF tour. I guess it's just a matter of taste.....................................................[/quote]
Of course it is...it's just that the bulk of The First Day is very different from David's typical work. The loud Black Sabbath-like guitarisms...etc. I prefer (and in interviews David himself seems to as well) his more intimate, reflective, sensitive expressions. I certainly respect your opinion I just think that God's Monkey and Jean at least sound somewhat like his other work...to me the rest does not at all. I supposse someone could make that argument for Blemish as well..I just happened to like that direction. Like you said, it's all different tastes. :-)
When I cannot sing my heart...I can only speak my mind...
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby baht habit on Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:22 pm

[quote="Tin Bird"] ...it's just that the bulk of The First Day is very different from David's typical work. The loud Black Sabbath-like guitarisms...etc.

Wow, to equate the highly intricate fret work on The First Day to the simple power chords of Black Sabbath is quite an insult to Fripp, wouldn't you think?
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Tin Bird on Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:49 pm

baht habit wrote:
Tin Bird wrote: ...it's just that the bulk of The First Day is very different from David's typical work. The loud Black Sabbath-like guitarisms...etc.

Wow, to equate the highly intricate fret work on The First Day to the simple power chords of Black Sabbath is quite an insult to Fripp, wouldn't you think?
I would supposse so...I can certainly name a few individual tracks over the years that he has played on that I like, but overall, I'm not a big fan. Too busy, too recognizable as HIM...I respect his ability, love some of the Frippertronic albums (esp. w Brian Eno), but in general he's not my type of guitar player. I prefer Bill Nelson, Michael Brook, Roddy Frame, George Harrison, Will Sergeant...etc. Btw much more impressive to me on that and other albums is Trey Gunn's stick playing...that I DO like.
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby baht habit on Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:19 pm

Tin Bird wrote:[ Btw much more impressive to me on that and other albums is Trey Gunn's stick playing...that I DO like.

Yes indeed, Gunn is definitely an amazing musician -- and extremely disciplined as well. When I had the opportunity to speak with him in May 1992, I asked him of the practice regiment regarding such a difficult instrument and it was obvious that he was a truly dedicated player --- he also was very humble and mentioned numerous times that he still had so much to learn about his chosen instrument. But one would have to dismiss his humility while watching how adept he was at providing bass and playing melody lines over top with such relative ease.
I had also spent several hours with Fripp that day and Fripp, though being a guitarist, basically changed my entire outlook on how to focus on the instrument that I chose to express myself (that being drums/percussion). It was such an honor to be in the presence of such unique individuals for that one day.
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Tin Bird on Sat Jul 19, 2008 12:44 pm

[I had also spent several hours with Fripp that day and Fripp, though being a guitarist, basically changed my entire outlook on how to focus on the instrument that I chose to express myself (that being drums/percussion). It was such an honor to be in the presence of such unique individuals for that one day.[/quote]
Wow...I'm sure that was cool. I'm a drummer as well and despite personal taste, I certainly have a HUGE amount of respect for Mr. Fripp and the influence he's had on music. It would be humbling meeting him and talking about music I'm sure. I most certainly meant no disrespect to him at all. One of my fave drummers played w Fripp for a while...a guy named Kevin Wilkinson...he was the drummer for China Crisis (and a number of other well known bands). Sadly, he took his own life a few years ago. A friend of mine who met Nick Beggs at a show here in Va said that Nick told him that he was good friends w Trey Gunn and that they both knew Kevin and respected him a lot. Small world...
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby tallulahtaurus on Sat Jul 26, 2008 1:53 pm

This is most interesting people have mentioned the songs I love the most. For instance "Alphabet Angel", "Sugar Fuel", "The Boy with the Gun".

I will admit that of all the songs on Dead Bees on a Cake (which I love overall) I can perfectly understand not liking "Cafe Europa", I think I forced myself into liking that one through repeated listens.

See I come into difficulty when answering this question as there are not many of his songs that I genuinely cannot stand but as discussed elsewhere I am not fond of "All of my mothers names" also sometimes "Krishna Blue" really does irk me.
"This island of blue
Where life clings to your hands
Like water and sand
Will loose it's way when you're gone"
tallulahtaurus
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby E.T. on Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:43 am

I like "All of my mother's names" :-D
I like "Wanderlust" more :D
whatever gets you through the night
E.T.
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Antinous on Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:47 pm

Huh... worst songs.. I'd say "Orpheus", "Boy with the Gun", "Red Guitar"...

JUST KIDDING :lol:

I don't find any specific song by David actually "bad", but I am not a big fan of "Firepower", even though I find the whole album great, sorry to say it folks, but Fripp is an excellent musician and Damage is a terrific album.
Image Image

a silence so rare
Antinous
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Tin Bird on Wed Aug 20, 2008 4:57 pm

I think Damage is a MUCH better record than The First Day. Even the loud guitar tracks that I don't care for much from The First Day sound good on Damage. Don't be sorry for liking Fripp...he's great, no doubt, I just personally don't care for his work w Sylvian as much as Sylvian's other work...I still like it generally speaking...
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Antinous on Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:03 pm

I probably listened to too much King Crimson when I was young, but that guitar solos of Fripp are godlike to me. I guess most Japan/Sylvian fans aren't that big fans of hard rock like I used to be. Like I said before, my musical taste is quite schizophrenic.
Last edited by Antinous on Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image

a silence so rare
Antinous
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby baht habit on Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:14 pm

I am one fan who happens to agree with you, Antinous (by the way, welcome aboard). The First Day happens to be my favorite recording to feature either Sylvian or Fripp. Damage is an awesome live disc but The First Day is a sonic burst that still shakes my system every time I give it a listen - at least once a month as a ritual.
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby camphorvan on Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:39 pm

I concur; I love Damage and like the First Day. But for me, the First Day gets kinda boring whereas Damage is the gift that keeps on giving. I LOVE Fripp's manic guitar solos - really inventive.

C
camphorvan
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Tin Bird on Wed Aug 20, 2008 9:30 pm

baht habit wrote:I am one fan who happens to agree with you, Antinous (by the way, welcome aboard). The First Day happens to be my favorite recording to feature either Sylvian or Fripp. Damage is an awesome live disc but The First Day is a sonic burst that still shakes my system every time I give it a listen - at least once a month as a ritual.
I think it's a decent record, but I certainly don't get a sonic burst out of Darshan and Brightness Falls...to each his own I guess.
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

PreviousNext

Return to Solo Work