Davids worst songs

From Brilliant Trees through Died In The Wool...

Postby Chet on Tue Jul 08, 2008 4:08 pm

what's in your glasses?
I stick to the Champagne...
And my heart sings of many things
Chet
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Holmewood on Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:22 am

Baby, I can tell you there's no easy way out... of telling you I really can't abide by "Silver Moon" (the song that is, with apologies to site owner - trust I won't get barred?).

It ruins GTE for me but at least it's the last track, which makes it highly appropriate as a bookend rather than a book.

Swooping faux-fretless, cheesy sax and jangly guitars...I could go on and on, but then I'd sound like the song itself.

There are hundreds of songs about moons (I like Nick Drake's "Pink" one myself) but, for me, the "guiding moonlight" can't go fade soon enough...but the rest of that album is a veritable masterpiece of course.

I await the stocks and rotten veg...
Holmewood

Postby godisinthesilences on Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:01 am

ha ha.... i think silver moon may be the most commercially viable track off the GTE... perhaps it was reworked that way to sell the album?? Who knows....
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Astronaut on Wed Jul 16, 2008 1:56 pm

godisinthesilences wrote:
anortherncod wrote:
Astronaut wrote:Hurrah! Absolutely Gods! I raise my glass to that statement! I'll bet one of my favourites is one you absolutely can't abide istening to ... hmm!

You don't need much encouragement to raise your glass do you...? :wink:

Only joking. Cheers! :D

Natasha

tee hee hee.... a good drink now and again... or now and now ... hee hee is always a good thing. HA HA
I quite agree Gods! And just WHAT are you implying Miss Natasha "mines a large red one" Fishy-person? Hmmm? Hmmm? I'll bet your little vacation hasn't been completely tea-total has it? :lol: :wink: xxxx
Image Image Image
MICK KARN APPEAL Donations can be made via:
http://www.mickkarn.net/
Astronaut
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby anortherncod on Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:11 pm

What can I say, Astronaut? You're right of course. For those of you who don't know, I've just come back from holiday in Croatia. I will miss those brandy Alexanders by the sea... *sigh*
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Astronaut on Wed Jul 16, 2008 2:38 pm

Heeeey! Glad you had such a great holiday! Shall I raise a glass to that too? Err, no. better not, have to work tomorrow! ;-) x
Image Image Image
Astronaut
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:23 pm

"Interpretation is the revenge of the intellect upon art ... to interpret is to impoverish ... in order to set up a shallow world of meanings" - Susan Sontag.

Interesting quote... I quite agree with this sentiment... interesting since i mostly think susan sontag is talking out of her a**. On Photography has to be one of THE most boring pieces of pontificating I've ever had to read in my life (and trust me i've had to read a lot of critical theory).
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Astronaut on Wed Jul 16, 2008 3:58 pm

Thank you for that fine intellectual analysis Gods! :D Having studied Visual Theory and Semiotics myself (what crime did I commit to deserve THAT?) I can sympathise, however, that particular quote resonates well I think. Interpretation can often kill a work of art or a peice of music as indeed can over intellectualising and over analyzing anything. Takes the fun out of it.

It's odd that you should choose tonight to quote it since I was just about to change it along with my new avatar which you have already commented on in another thread. ;-)
Image Image Image
Astronaut
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Wed Jul 16, 2008 5:19 pm

Astronaut wrote:Thank you for that fine intellectual analysis Gods! :D Having studied Visual Theory and Semiotics myself (what crime did I commit to deserve THAT?) I can sympathise, however, that particular quote resonates well I think. Interpretation can often kill a work of art or a peice of music as indeed can over intellectualising and over analyzing anything. Takes the fun out of it.

Oh my god did you have some desire to punish yourself for something??? I did my first master's degree at a university that ascribed to the deconstructionist theory. Let's just say i wanted to commit suicide on a daily basis....

Astronaut wrote:It's odd that you should choose tonight to quote it since I was just about to change it along with my new avatar which you have already commented on in another thread. ;-)

Actually I've noticed another of your susan sontag quotes and meant to comment but decided i didn't want to start an argument or insult anyone.

[/quote]
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Tin Bird on Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:07 pm

Can't listen to most of the Sylvian/Fripp First Day album...Firepower/Darshan...etc. Horrid stuff. That, frankly, is the ONLY work that Sylvian has been involved w that I don't adore. It just isn't him. Fripp was too overbearing. I much prefer a Bill Nelson or Marc Ribot ligher touch.
When I cannot sing my heart...I can only speak my mind...
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby VaporTrail on Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:58 pm

Tin Bird wrote:Can't listen to most of the Sylvian/Fripp First Day album...Firepower/Darshan...etc. Horrid stuff.

Wonderful stuff :). My favorite two tracks from that collaboration.
VaporTrail
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby proggrl on Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:04 pm

Tin Bird wrote:Can't listen to most of the Sylvian/Fripp First Day album

me either. I end up having to listen to ALL of it!!!! :-D (or the Damage album)
Trust the proggrl.
proggrl
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Thu Jul 17, 2008 2:09 pm

proggrl wrote:

I'd have to agree here. It just isn't David... the Fripp influence is too overbearing for sure.

I have a friend who did a remix of Damage and I adore listening to that.
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Tin Bird on Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:24 pm

VaporTrail wrote:
Tin Bird wrote:Can't listen to most of the Sylvian/Fripp First Day album...Firepower/Darshan...etc. Horrid stuff.

Wonderful stuff :). My favorite two tracks from that collaboration.

Really? You prefer Firepower and Darshan to God's Monkey and Jean the Birdman...? I don't get that...
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Tin Bird on Thu Jul 17, 2008 3:27 pm

godisinthesilences wrote:
proggrl wrote:

I'd have to agree here. It just isn't David... the Fripp influence is too overbearing for sure.

I have a friend who did a remix of Damage and I adore listening to that.
Damage was much better...more of David in the mix. Even the tracks from First Day are bearable. Love the quiet ambient/piano ballads that bookend the album. I also love the acoustic B-sides to Jean the Birdman.
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

PreviousNext

Return to Solo Work