the Writing Process of David

From Brilliant Trees through Died In The Wool...

the Writing Process of David

Postby Chet on Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:09 am

I can usually recognize on what instrument a song is written.
Like most Macartney songs are written on piano and most Lennon songs on guitar.
But when it comes to David Sylvians music it's harder. Some songs are obvious, like September.
Does anybody know what the usual writing process of David looks like?
Last edited by Chet on Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chet
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby natsume on Sun Jun 15, 2008 4:06 pm

I always guess that they are generally written on acoustic guitar or keyboards, simply because of the way he has presented them acoustically on the Slow Fire and World is Everything tours, and even the very old solo clip of Ghosts. I imagine his approach has greatly changed through Blemish and Nine Horses, as his focus on digital music making outside of his ambient instrumental music has become so prominent.
natsume
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Mon Jun 16, 2008 5:58 pm

natsume wrote:I always guess that they are generally written on acoustic guitar or keyboards, simply because of the way he has presented them acoustically on the Slow Fire and World is Everything tours, and even the very old solo clip of Ghosts. I imagine his approach has greatly changed through Blemish and Nine Horses, as his focus on digital music making outside of his ambient instrumental music has become so prominent.

i agree with this. I do think it may be more difficult to figure out what prompts songs now. Perhaps just a sound or group of sounds may spark the continuation of writing a song or part of one or creating a strong idea of a song.
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Return to Solo Work