new cd soon?

From Brilliant Trees through Died In The Wool...

new cd soon?

Postby godisinthesilences on Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:27 am

Ok I just heard from a friend of mine that David is releasing a new solo album very soon.... anyone else know anything about this????
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby camphorvan on Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:56 pm

I know he was working on one. But, I'd say it'd be released in September as the summer is traditionally not a good time to release an album. Don't ask me why - that's what "THEY" say. "THEY" have never liked me very much so they could be lying...
camphorvan
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby baht habit on Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:01 pm

Yes, a new solo disc is tentatively scheduled to be released at some point this year. Sylvian has actually been intermittently working on the project since 2004. Contributors include Keith Rowe (guitar), Burkhard Stangl (guitar), Christian Fennesz (guitar), Evan Parker (saxophone), Werner Dafeldecker (bass), and Martin Brandlmayr (drums, percussion).
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby camphorvan on Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:12 am

I remember photos of Steve and Laughing Dave at Robert Fripp's studio pre-Nine Horses. Since there was no Fripperies on Nine Horses, maybe they were recording for this CD....how cool would that be? The boys back together again...right...1....2...3...ah 4.....

"cold morrrning,
start of yet another dayyyy,
looking through the catalogue,
For the white shoes that I wear these days..."

No? Did I mishear those lyrics?! Oh ok...

Damn

C
camphorvan
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby anortherncod on Tue Jun 03, 2008 4:17 pm

camphorvan wrote:...1....2...3...ah 4.....

"cold morrrning,
start of yet another dayyyy,
looking through the catalogue,
For the white shoes that I wear these days..."

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Natasha
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby baht habit on Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:15 pm

I for one would love to hear the track that Sylvian and Jansen had Fripp work on. According to Fripp, it was a lovely ballad that Sylvian is typically known for. According to Sylvian, he actually was able to convince Fripp to use the delicate fingerpicking style that Fripp had abandonned long ago.
Yet I get the feeling that a piece which may be considered 'mainstream' is not slated to appear on this next release. Just be aware that Sleepwalkers is from these particular sessions. I believe the words of Fennesz when he says that this next release will not be conventional.
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:35 pm

well i'm thrilled that we shall have a new cd from dearest david sometime this year.... September would make my day :-)
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby camphorvan on Wed Jun 04, 2008 5:41 pm

hey all -

agreed about the track baht. I remember something being said along similar line. But....A Fire In the Forest was pretty conventional (in relation to the rest of Blemish), so maybe there might be some kind of space for something like that.

But I think you're right though; there was some talk of Dave not being happy with the recent tour (being a singer/songwriter sort of affair) and that he wanted to focus on more abstract material as a permanent thing. But then...nothing is permanent. Least of all my concentration span.....

...oo look a rogue sock....

C
camphorvan
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby baht habit on Wed Jun 04, 2008 9:12 pm

I read that pianist John Tilbury has also contributed to Sylvian's forthcoming cd. Tilbury is another artist affiliated with the Erstwhile record label created by Jon Abbey. It seems that the majority of the musicians who have been confirmed to have worked on Sylvian's latest project have been involved with the Erstwhile label.
Sachiko Matsubara and Toshimaru Nakamura are also on the label and they had worked on Sylvian's Sleepwalkers track - yet I am not sure if they will also be on the upcoming release.
Check out the official Erstwhile Records site to get a feel for what we could expect:
www.erstwhilerecords.com
Brace yourself - highly experimental material
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby baht habit on Mon Jun 16, 2008 8:14 pm

baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Chet on Tue Jun 17, 2008 1:57 am

thanks for posting this.
Chet