List your top 5 favourite David solo songs and why?

From Brilliant Trees through Died In The Wool...

Postby marcello09 on Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:37 pm

I like the stuff that's mostly dark, with rays of light... can't narrow it down to five, so here's a few (okay, more than a few!) off the top of me head...

1 - Mother and Child
2 - Heart Knows Better
3 - Midnight Sun
4 - Boy with the Gun
5 - Godman
6 - Nostalgia
7 - Brightness Falls
8 - Atom and Cell
9 - When Poets Dreamed of Angels
10 - Maria
11 - Gone To Earth
12 - Linoleum
13 - Blackwater
marcello09
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby marcello09 on Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:46 pm

krausy wrote:my oldest brother was in college and he listened to alot of Gordon Lightfoot at the time---this song reminds me of Gordon a bit, but just a bit!!! :lol:

Gordon Lightfoot rules! I think he's highly underrated, I love his stuff. Saw him live last year, he's quite a mesmerizing performer, despite his near-death experience of a couple of years ago. "Song for a Winter's Night" was magical. The audience was utterly hypnotized, we all stayed silent for moments after the song had finished, we couldn't believe what we'd just heard. When we finally realized it wasn't a dream we gave him a standing ovation. Brilliant, brilliant stuff...
marcello09
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby krausy on Sun Aug 20, 2006 9:53 pm

marcello09 wrote:
krausy wrote:my oldest brother was in college and he listened to alot of Gordon Lightfoot at the time---this song reminds me of Gordon a bit, but just a bit!!! :lol:

Gordon Lightfoot rules! I think he's highly underrated, I love his stuff. Saw him live last year, he's quite a mesmerizing performer, despite his near-death experience of a couple of years ago. "Song for a Winter's Night" was magical. The audience was utterly hypnotized, we all stayed silent for moments after the song had finished, we couldn't believe what we'd just heard. When we finally realized it wasn't a dream we gave him a standing ovation. Brilliant, brilliant stuff...

Thanks for this post, Marcello. Did not know Gordon had a near-death experience----what happened? Glad he is okay now...................
www.bigcountry.co.uk
Check it out!!!!
krausy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby proggrl on Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:38 am

marcello09 wrote:

Gordon Lightfoot rules! I think he's highly underrated, I love his stuff.

If you could read my mind love, what a tale (about how much I love Gordon) my thoughts would tell! That's cool you got to see him live, I didn't even know he was touring. v cool.
Trust the proggrl.
proggrl
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby marcello09 on Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:11 am

krausy wrote:Thanks for this post, Marcello. Did not know Gordon had a near-death experience----what happened? Glad he is okay now...................

He had an abdominal hemorrhage in 2002 that put him in a coma for several weeks. I recall a post-coma interview with him in the Toronto Star, where he sounded resigned to the fact that he'd never be able to sing or tour again. But somehow he pulled together the willpower to get back on his feet again, and 2005 was his first tour since his illness. He looked GREAT, very trim and handsome, his voice was a little shaky but he's still got charisma to burn. After he played "Canadian Railroad Trilogy" (which is pretty long and demanding tune) he said "That's the first time I've played that in years. I didn't think I could do it." He seemed to have a permanent grin on his face throughout the whole concert!

Also not mentioned often is his band: they're mostly the same guys he's played with for decades. They're excellent musicians, I was very impressed, I suppose they don't get much attention because they're almost exclusively Gordon's and, to my knowledge, they've rarely played with anyone else.

If Gord comes to your neck of the woods, I'd highly recommend checking him out!
marcello09
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby marcello09 on Mon Aug 21, 2006 11:49 am

proggrl wrote:If you could read my mind love

Music trivia: Simon LeBon says that he stole the melody for "Save A Prayer" from that particular Lightfoot tune... who woulda guessed?!
marcello09
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby krausy on Mon Aug 21, 2006 12:13 pm

marcello09 wrote:
proggrl wrote:If you could read my mind love

Music trivia: Simon LeBon says that he stole the melody for "Save A Prayer" from that particular Lightfoot tune... who woulda guessed?!

wow---did not know that!!!!

You know, I listen to all kinds of stuff, in fact, I listen to one local radio station every Sunday that plays all 70's stuff--while I'm doing chores, driving to see Mum, etc. and I wonder if my favorite artists have ever really listened to some of this same stuff and liked it. Now I know for sure. Very cool.

Yeah, Gordon always conjures up images in my head of my brother home on the weekends from college, working on one of his Art School projects and listening to Gordon, or classical music, or movie soundtracks. Totally made an impression on me. As a kid I just soaked up things like that like a sponge!!!!
www.bigcountry.co.uk
Check it out!!!!
krausy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby marcello09 on Mon Aug 21, 2006 5:20 pm

krausy wrote:I wonder if my favorite artists have ever really listened to some of this same stuff and liked it.

My impression is that most of the best musicians are eclectic musical sponges. Miles Davis loved Willie Nelson, Iggy Pop idolizes Frank Sinatra, and I've heard that Prince's record collection is ridiculously vast, a massive library of almost anything you could possibly think of. I'd love to spend a week or two locked in that room!

krausy wrote:Yeah, Gordon always conjures up images in my head of my brother home on the weekends from college, working on one of his Art School projects and listening to Gordon, or classical music, or movie soundtracks. Totally made an impression on me. As a kid I just soaked up things like that like a sponge!!!!

I had the same kind of experience with my older brother. He played Al Green, Led Zeppelin, the Beach Boys, Joni Mitchell, Smokey Robinson... LOTS of great stuff! It was a heckuva good start to my musical education.
marcello09
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby krausy on Tue Aug 22, 2006 12:05 am

Prince totally fascinates me, from the first song I ever heard of his!!!!

I just bought Led Zeppelin's cd box set, to update my old cassettes of course!!!

and Joni Mitchell-----ahhhh love her!!! Rickie Lee Jones too............... :D
www.bigcountry.co.uk
Check it out!!!!
krausy
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby japanfan on Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:56 pm

Silver Moon - Great Lyrics great guitars!
The day the earth stole heaven - I just love acoustic tunes
Forbidden Colours - Nice piano and vocal accompaniment
Orpheus - I love this song dunno why
The ink in the well - Love the lyrics to this tune
japanfan
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby sheisnot on Thu Aug 31, 2006 6:22 pm

"Orpheus" is the cleverest, most perfect song ever written. Sylvian is a genius.
It is all entirely perfect--it is as it should be.
sheisnot
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby baht habit on Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:39 pm

1) Endgame
2) Jean The Birdman
3) The Day The Earth Stole Heaven
4) God's Monkey
5) When Poets Dreamed Of Angels
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby camphorvan on Wed Sep 06, 2006 10:49 am

top 5 songs at the moment:

1. brilliant trees
2. waterfront (live E+N)
3. a fire in the forest
4. wave
5. a history of holes

favourite piece of music of all time: mutability
camphorvan
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Re: List your top 5 favourite David solo songs and why?

Postby fletchertronics on Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:21 pm

godisinthesilences wrote:List your top 5 favourite David solo songs and why?

Impossible, however today's choice is:

* Ghosts (2000 vocal version) - a permanent fixture in my list(s)
* Brilliant Trees (200 vocal version) - ditto above
* Damage - I attended the show from which this recording stems
* Blemish - overlooked, powerful, emotive, and just plain great!
* Snow Bourne Sorrow - ditto Blemish
fletchertronics
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby tallulahtaurus on Thu Feb 15, 2007 8:42 pm

I have yet to hear all of his songs but this is it so far:

Red Guitar - the love of my life my second favourite song of all time - what can I say apart from my soul starts off on the most joyous of conniptions at the guitar in it...then the lyrics and gah it owns me...

Pop Song - wonderfully gloriously sterile and weird - I just dig it and the sarcasm of the lyrics...or the sarcasm that I hear there anyway.

Weathered Wall - there is something about it that I find so sexy - swooning slush of the music, I have the instrumental and gah it blows me away the peace I find in it.

The Boy with the Gun - the lyrics, simply said.

Darkest Dreaming - devastates me and makes me cry and I cannot tell why - adore.
"This island of blue
Where life clings to your hands
Like water and sand
Will loose it's way when you're gone"
tallulahtaurus
Obsessed
Obsessed

PreviousNext

Return to Solo Work