Silvermoon, Blemish, And Other Random Thoughts.....

From Brilliant Trees through Died In The Wool...

Silvermoon, Blemish, And Other Random Thoughts.....

Postby Despair on Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:26 pm

So i finally, after many years of waiting for the prices to come down a little, have managed to put together a good quality sound system here in my loft. A nice 5.1 Surround DVD-A & SACD DVD system, and wide screen LCD TV set-up. It took almost a week to set it up to a satisfactory standard, but it does sound pretty awesome.
Of course, what to play first became a bit of a deal. Anyways, i chose Bowie`s live albums, DAVID LIVE & STAGE, and also Sylvians PLIGHT & PREMONITION and BLEMISH.
I put the DVD of the Tokyo BLEMISH show on, and it looks and sounds amazing.
That was a great show, prbably my favourite Sylvian show so far. I was lucky to catch two, one here in Manchester and the London show.
Anyways....finally to the point (phew)!
I remember reading, prior to the Blemish shows, about the Apple Mac set-up, and Sylvian stated that this would give him more options to vary the performances and vary the setlists. Yet, from listening to the various bootlegs, the shows didnt vary a great deal, if at all.
Whilst the show looked good, and Sylvians voice was flawless, it did have a Karaoke feel to it, with the Apple Macs doing most of the work.
This tour, with Sylvians statement about varying the setlist, left me ever so hopefull for a hearing of SILVERMOON. Alas...alas...!
But a few days ago, i watched the DVD from the last tour, and again, mourned the absence of SILVERMOON. And then i thought some more, and if im not mistaken, is SILVERMOON the only vocal track from his solo work, he`s never performed live.???
At the time of GONE TO EARTH`s release, i bet my mate (a Sylvian hater) that SILVERMOON would be the next single and hit top 10.
It didnt even chart :( I still cant believe that. But i wonder why its never been given an airing in a live setting.
One of his most beautiful songs, and one of his most beatiful videos. Not too dissimilar to the video stuff Masakatsu Takagi did for the Blemish shows, in feel.
Anyways, just makin polite conversation :)

ta-ra xx
Despair
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Stoobie on Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:25 pm

Silver moon i believe was rehearsed for the Shaman Tour, but never performed to a live audience ~ pity.

Its my 10 years old favourite song, he went along to Manchester with me back in 2003 and asked why David didnt play it :-(

Stoobie
Stoobie
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Despair on Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:13 pm

Hiya Stoobie.
Yes, i believe it was rehearsed for the E&N tour too. Shame they cant nail it :(
Despair
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby camphorvan on Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:19 pm

Got to chip in here too - Silver Moon is one of my all time favourite songs as well. I don't think it's ever been performed live - has it? I don't remember if it has.

C
camphorvan
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Despair on Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:36 pm

No, SILVERMOON has never ever been performed live.
Perhaps the best chance woulda been the Shamans Tour, with thet amount of musicians able to carry off the lush sounds of the Pedal Steel and Saxes.
Probably never will be performed, which is a terrible shame, but at least it remains an un-tainted classic ;-)
Despair
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby Stoobie on Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:48 pm

playing Silver moon as we speak !

Just love how up lifting it makes you feel ! great end to a grat album !

Stoobie
Stoobie
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Return to Solo Work