Sylvian as lyricist/poet

From Brilliant Trees through Died In The Wool...

Sylvian as lyricist/poet

Postby Melaszka on Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:48 pm

I don't know if anyone else is interested in this theme, but I'd like to start a thread discussing and analysing David's lyrics from a literary viewpoint. It seems to me that David views himself as seriously as a lyricist/poet as a musician (e.g. he's published the Trophies books as poetry, he has a section on his website for lyrics and poems).

Some questions I'd like to throw out as starting points:

1. How much do David's lyrics add to your enjoyment and appreciation of the songs?

2. Do you think Sylvian's lyrics have enough literary merit to work as poetry, when written down and they don't have the music to support them?

3. What, for you, are the high and low points of David's lyric writing? Are there any lines, images, turns of phrase etc that just seem to you to be beautifully written? And are there any that seem a bit...er...less good?

4. I'm sure I read DS say once that the main reason he won't discuss his lyrics in interviews is because he doesn't want to impose one final meaning on the listener. If the song has touched an individual listener in a particular way and the lyrics mean something very special to him/her, he doesn't want to ruin that by saying "Actually, that song isn't about that at all, it's about X." As far as he's concerned, the lyrics mean whatever the listener interprets them to mean.

In the light of that, are there any songs that have a very special meaning to you, perhaps connected to something in your own experience?

5. Any other aspects of Sylvian's lyrics that you wish to discuss?

I could bore for hours on this topic, but I'm going to hold off for now, because I'm interested to see if anyone else is into this subject and what they have to say first.
Last edited by Melaszka on Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Melaszka
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby baht habit on Sat Jan 26, 2008 2:02 pm

>>>How much do David's lyrics add to your enjoyment and appreciation of the songs?

For the better part of his career, Sylvian has obviously been striving to write lyrics which shall appeal to certain listeners of strong intellect and a greater affluence towards that which can be construed as high art. This makes me appreciate the work he creates very much.
baht habit
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Waves on Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:53 am

Music came always first, since I had no lyrics to the songs. But the keywords he used, catch me definitely then and made me always feel deeply touched by the song.
Since last year I have found his music from GTE on through the web, so looking for lyrics all the time. Have to say with my 'school english' and dictionary the lyrics really have to sink in with me. But I find it very nice to have a song on my mind for a few days and find my feeling for it (mostly spiritual).
Only last week I heard Angels with Punkt for the first time. It kind of shocked me a little, also because his voice was quite different. Love to listen to it intensely, but have not found my feeling and meaning to it yet.
The World Is Everything is a song with lyrics for me, so simple direct but complex and haunting at the same time. That earthconnection, he gives words to that feeling perfectly.
Also Waterfront made me have tears in my eyes recently. It is of course not only the lyric, but the complete song.
And Orpheus can always be on my mind...
Waves
Regular
Regular

Postby anortherncod on Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:49 pm

I mooched at this topic, then mooched a bit more, and thought long and hard before replying.

Before I start... I would never want to offend anyone. It seems we've all had experiences on other forums or groups where things get out of hand and I wouldn't want to cause that. However, we're all different and like music for different reasons.

I would say that David Sylvian is not my favourite lyricist. For lyrics alone, printed on a page like Melaszka is suggesting, I would rather have the Manic Street Preachers' Richey Edwards (RIP) or Nicky Wire, or PT's Steven Wilson.

Yet I don't belong or subscribe to any forums or groups dedicated to the Manics. I love them, and PT, but I don't think any band could take the place of Japan for me.

Rather, it's the quality of DS' voice that contributes to that certain something Japan had and his solo work has. In my little world it's what I call "being able to sing the phone book", ie, the lyrics are of much more secondary importance. Other people I feel like this about are The Blue Nile's Paul Buchanan and Richard Ashcroft. Incidentally, I also feel that neither Buchanan nor Ashcroft are the strongest lyrically.

Steven Wilson can really turn his hand to lyrics but his voice would not be in my top five... again, I reiterate, I love PT and was almost in tears the other day driving from Leeds to Manchester listening to Fear Of A Blank Planet, but it wasn't because SW is the greatest singer on earth.

Getting even more obscure, in Italy the late Fabrizio De Andre's lyrics are regarded as poetry and are studied in high schools. However his were very political; to cite one example, he wrote a song about the fall of the Berlin Wall asking whether it was really the best outcome for all concerned.

Moving on to point 4... that reminded me of a liner note inside one of the Travis albums, in which it states that "these songs belong to you now". It may be a little mawkish, but still true. When I was younger I researched a lot of the song references, which led to me being sat in the Central Library in Cambridge reading Jean-Paul Sartre, but I was still no closer to what the meanings of songs might be.

One song whose lyrics I really like is Pop Song. Another is Obscure Alternatives. I do appreciate what I interpret to be Sylvian's use of words "because they sound nice"; I don't mean that in a banal sense, but, for example, there's a certain hook about "Deviation/step on your fingers/Deviation/step on your toes".

Um... I think I've written enough now. Over to someone else...

Natasha
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby tallulahtaurus on Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:40 pm

I too have thought too hard about this, prepare for a mini essay of questionable sense. I have a hard time making sense of my feelings generally...

His lyrics most definitely add to my appreciation, they are my only appreciation in some places and have made me warm to the music that surrounds them. I would point to much of the Secrets of the Beehive album as an example of that because whilst I appreciated it it really wasn't quite my thing at first. I like lots of drums in my music as a rule and the pieces that were on Gone To Earth and Brilliant Trees appealed more than anything on SotB to be honest. I know that is an unpopular thing to say because so many people treasure that album most amongst his work but still this is my truth.

To me in places they are poetic, I am fond of how he mixes imagery with pretty direct lines. By doing this and never sinking into one or the other he gets his meaning across eloquently.

"Running like a horse between the trees the ground beneath my feet gives me something to hold onto"

Its like the lines kind of clarify the imagery instantly.

I like his lyrics because they seem to cover moods that I am familiar with from my own life. Dissappointment, frustration then glorious stretches of happiness and faith. I appreciate that his lyrics can more adequetly express how I feel than I can.

Like my favourite line/image of his is from Before the Bullfight, the one I am using for my signature,

"This island of blue where life clings to your hand like water and sand will loose it's way when you're gone"

and this has a personal resonance to me it described how I felt when a friend of mine moved miles away. How unexpectedly bereft I felt when she left.

Its one of the most beautiful images to me. The inadequecy of the person left as a sandless, waterless island. That stability/life is taken away so easily and as naturally as wet sand would cling to a hand - as inevitably perhaps. Gah I can't explain it very well but the image just does something to my insides.

It all had resonances at the time and it remains cherished to this day, I cried so much at the RFH when he sang it. I find it hard not to cry at those lines even when I am not sad or lamenting my own loss...its such a pitiful image.
"This island of blue
Where life clings to your hands
Like water and sand
Will loose it's way when you're gone"
tallulahtaurus
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Astronaut on Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:33 pm

Thank you Melaszka for initiating a very thought provoking thread! OK, here are a few of my thoughts on the subject (for what they're worth ...)

It seems to me that David views himself as seriously as a lyricist/poet as a musician (e.g. he's published the Trophies books as poetry, he has a section on his website for lyrics and poems).

I'm sure I've read somewhere that DS' aim was to be as artisically diverse as his hero Jean Cocteau, and didn't he tell Simon Naper-Bell back in 1976 or 77 that he wanted to be like a "Left Bank Poet"? [Can someone verify that for me?]

1. My enjoyment and/or appreciation of the "songs" does not depend on the content of the lyrics per se, although they occasionally affect the mood/tone of the overall piece, especially when they have a logical narrative quality. Abstract/obscure lyrical content has less of an affect/effect as they are probably not meant to be understood and lend themselves to misinterpretation (if you should choose to interpret them, in many cases I dont bother, although I am guilty of imputing feelings/meanings to the lyrics that aren't necessarily there in reality).
2. Literary Merit as poetry? This depends on which definition of the term ‘poetry’ you wish to adopt. Poetry and lyrics are 2 quite distinct genres. Whilst some lyrics may be poetic and some poems lyrical (especially in the form of the sonnet) it is also possible that many poems are not lyrical at all, and are either dramatic, epic or prose (the latter form being particularly popular in 19thC France: Rimbaud, Baudelaire and Mallarme for example). Some highbrow critics make an evaluative distinction between poetry, which is elevated or inspired, and lyrical verse which is merely clever or mechanical. So, are David Sylvian’s lyrics poetic? Some, yes, undoubtedly. But are they poetry? Well, the subjects of great poetry tend to be: love, death, war, the natural world, time and memory. Davids’ lyrics/poetry have covered all of these many times over.
3. High and Low points: I'll need to get back to you on this one - so much to choose from!
I'm sure I read DS say once that the main reason he won't discuss his lyrics in interviews is because he doesn't want to impose one final meaning on the listener. If the song has touched an individual listener in a particular way and the lyrics mean something very special to him/her, he doesn't want to ruin that by saying "Actually, that song isn't about that at all, it's about X." As far as he's concerned, the lyrics mean whatever the listener interprets them to mean.
He has also said in interviews c.1991/2 that the RTC album is about death. No room for other interpretations - it's about death. End of everything. Full stop. 9 Horses published material so far? That's about relationships, a continuation of the themes expressed on 'Blemish': the ending of longterm relationships and tolerance and compassion within existing relationships. I guess you could add your own interpretations if you wish and of course each of us brings to the completed work our own set of experiences and expectations.
5. Anything else to discuss? YES! Plenty of things but that's enough for now. Except ...

Waves comments made me think: If English is your second or even third language then (I imagine) the SOUND of the lyrics rather than the actual words themselves will be of primary importance. Therefore, the words become meaningless in a way - valued only (initially) for their sonic qualities.

I would say that David Sylvian is not my favourite lyricist. For lyrics alone, printed on a page like Melaszka is suggesting, I would rather have the Manic Street Preachers' Richey Edwards (RIP) or Nicky Wire, or PT's Steven Wilson.

Natasha I'm going to have to disagree with you on this one! :wink: I believe David Sylvian to be one of the finest lyricists of his (British) generation along with: Morrissey, Neil Tennant, Martin Gore (and others ...)

Well, that's enough from me for now. Hopefully I haven't offended anyone ... :D
Image Image Image
MICK KARN APPEAL Donations can be made via:
http://www.mickkarn.net/
Astronaut
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby anortherncod on Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:07 pm

Well, Astronaut, there's nothing wrong with a bit of healthy debate :)

I was just a little worried about offending people with my views, but I always like to be transparent. My point was really that your favourite band don't have to be the best at everything - but with a, let's say, assemblage (!) of certain factors, Japan are always going to be my favourite band until I shuffle off this mortal coil.

Natasha
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Melaszka on Mon Jan 28, 2008 5:03 pm

Thank you to everyone who's responded so far - please keep the comments coming, as I'm really enjoying reading them. I know I'm not going to get round to covering every excellent point made, but I'll make a start:

Posted by Astronaut
Literary Merit as poetry? This depends on which definition of the term ‘poetry’ you wish to adopt. Poetry and lyrics are 2 quite distinct genres.

This has always been my feeling. While I think DS writes lyrics which are far more intelligent and literate than your average pop/rock lyric (I had a bit of a twilight zone moment when I read your post, because Morrissey and Neil Tennant were also the first names that sprang to my mind when I tried to think of lyric writers comparable to Sylvian in quality!) I've always thought it was a little strange that he describes them as "poetry." I'm usually faintly disappointed when I see the words written down, because they rarely have anything like the same power on paper that they have in their proper context, supported by the mood of the music and the vocal expression he puts into them.

For me they're a huge, huge part of why I love Sylvian, but I find them practically impossible to divorce from the music and the way DS uses his voice.

Posted by Waves
Also Waterfront made me have tears in my eyes recently. It is of course not only the lyric, but the complete song.

Yes! Waterfront is probably the song I'd choose if someone put a gun to my head and made me choose a favourite DS song, on the basis of lyrics only. "Watch the train steam full ahead, as it takes the bend/Empty carriages lose their tracks and tumble to their end/So the world shrinks drop by drop as the wine goes to your head/Swollen angels point and laugh, 'This time your God is dead'" - a whole series of macabrely beautiful images that convey the derangement and paranoia of deep depression perfectly, without sounding whingy or clicheed.

Posted by anortherncod
I do appreciate what I interpret to be Sylvian's use of words "because they sound nice"; I don't mean that in a banal sense, but, for example, there's a certain hook about "Deviation/step on your fingers/Deviation/step on your toes".

Absolutely! Well, the sound of words IS a huge part of poetry and I always think that it's no accident that David's brother is a drummer - there is something very rhythmic about DS's songwriting, including his lyrics. A personal favourite of mine from the sound poitn of view is the line from "Serotonin": "I kick the sheets, they rise and fall like mountain ranges at my feet" - can't explain why, I just love it.

Posted by tallulahtaurus
I like his lyrics because they seem to cover moods that I am familiar with from my own life. Dissappointment, frustration then glorious stretches of happiness and faith. I appreciate that his lyrics can more adequetly express how I feel than I can.

I absolutely, totally, 100% agree. When most people try to express deep feelings in words, they end up sounding naff and clicheed, and what they write doesn't convey their experience to anyone else, no matter how sincere the emotion behind their writing is. David has a rare gift. When I listen to his songs (to borrow a line from Kate Bush) "I could feel what he was feeling".

I'm not always 100% certain that the moods, experiences and feelings that his songs touch in me are necessarily the ones DS intended, though, bringing us back to point 4.

Example 1: I had a good-natured debate with another fan on davidsylvian.net a few years ago about what the song "Brilliant Trees" is "really about". My correspondent was adamant that the song was a love song to Yuka, while I was equally convinced that it (or at least the first verse) was about David's relationship with his family - partly because the imagery of trees and roots is a conventional metaphor for the family, but mostly because the lines, "When you come to me, I'll question myself again/ Is this grip on life still my own? /When every step I take leads me so far away. /Every thought should bring me closer home" seemed to me to convey beautifully the fear of the barrier that a life lived in the intellectual, middle-class milieu of the arts is erecting between him and his working-class family.

Faced with my opponent's arguments, however, I eventually had to back down and concede that the song probably was about Yuka, and that the reason why I am so attached to "my" interpretation is because it speaks to my own experience - like David, I'm from a working-class background, but now work in the arts.

Example 2: Atom and Cell always, without fail, reduces me to tears, because of the line "Pictures are pasted to shop windows and walls, like a poor man's Boltanski, lost one and all", which immediately throws me back to King's Cross in the aftermath of the July 7th bombings (I was living there at the time). I assume that he wrote the line about a similar rash of desperately sad fly posters stuck to walls in New York by relatives of the missing after September 11th, but I could be quite, quite wrong about that, and the line may well be about something utterly different.

Does this matter? Does it make my interpretation "wrong" because it happens to not be the one sitting in David's head at the time he put pen to paper?

I'm afraid I've always been with Barthes on this one, that in the act of writing an author enters into his own death. (I'm a huge fan of JK Rowling, but it drives me mental the way that she keeps giving interviews after the books have come out where she tries to totally control how readers interpret the series. I'm like "Well, if it's so vitally important that that's what it means, why didn't you make it much clearer in the ****ing book?!")

Posted by Astronaut
He has also said in interviews c.1991/2 that the RTC album is about death. No room for other interpretations - it's about death. End of everything. Full stop.

Yes, and he's also said that "The Shining of Things" is about his break-up with Yuka. He's also said some (in my opinion) quite outrageous things about what he thinks of people who prefer Japan to his solo work, so he is still someone who tries to control what his listeners think and feel! I'll have to find the quotation where he says he wants to leave meaning open to the individual, because I could swear I did read it somewhere. (Edit: I don't think this was the one, but in this interview he does talk quite a lot about trying to keep lyrics open to different interpretations: http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/article/feature/31303-interview-david-sylvian)

tallulahtaurus, don't apologise for being less keen on SOTB and anortherncod don't apologise for not thinking DS the best lyricist in the world. We all know that if you didn't love him, you wouldn't be here in the first place, and I'm sure we can all voice our own preferences without anyone taking offence. I'd better not get started on what I don't like in the lyrics, though, because that probably would start WW3!
Melaszka
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby untitled on Tue Jan 29, 2008 6:37 am

The poetry question is a tough one. I can’t make up my mind. Two albums come to mind, SOTB and Blemish; both incredibly strong lyrically, but for quite different reasons.

SOTB has some of the most beautifully crafted lyrics ever. They can be taken at face value and just enjoy the “pictures he paints” or you can analyse the metaphors and symbolism to your heart’s content. Very much like poetry in that sense. Waterfront is great example of this and definitely a strong contender for the “David Sylvian - Best Lyric” category.

Blemish on the other hand, is more automatic-writing, but incredibly powerful with it. But, for all its rawness and honesty, there is still huge room for interpretation. It would be a sad day if I ever found out what “the quirk, the fuss, the Vaseline” actually referred to.

His work is Gestalt theory in practice. The whole is very much more than the sum of the parts. That said, if I had to pick my favourite part, it would be the lyrics. If I can’t connect to the lyrics, then the song will never be a favourite. This is why I have so much trouble with DBOAC. I just can’t connect with many of the song lyrics. Equally, if the lyrics leave too little room for interpretation, then I can find it a bit of a turn off. As beautiful and lyrically clever as Snow Borne Sorrow is, it lacks a bit of mystery for me, which means it does not get played as often as it might.

I agree that often reading the lyrics doesn’t convey as much emotion as hearing the song. DS is a master of intonation. In the song, “The World is Everything” the lyric “You can’t swallow it, but you can’t spit it out” doesn’t read as anything special. However listening to him sing it, you can almost hear the “unpleasant taste in his mouth”, caused by the situation he finds himself in and his inability to move on from it.

I might return with more ramblings, but for now I’ll leave you with the lyrics that came to mind when I first read Melaszka's great post.

On the banks of a sunset beach, messages scratched in sand
Beneath a roaming home of stars, young boys try their hand.
[Waterfront]

From the darkest of skies
Small birds, tumble like rain.
[Ride]

My roads uncrossed, white lined and tarred.
By believing in you, every colour you are.
[Every Colour You Are]

Shades of midlife crisis, eyes of petrochemical blue.
[Albuqerque - Dobro #6]
Last edited by untitled on Tue Jan 29, 2008 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I found the way, by the sound of your voice.
untitled
Fanatic
Fanatic

Postby tallulahtaurus on Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:42 am

I kind of thought initially well how does one define poetry? I'm glad that Astronaut raised that point because I forgot to.

Oh and Melaszka strangely enough I also reacted with tears to that line in "Atom and Cell" the first few times I heard it and it still really gives me shivers. I also like the "I kick the sheets..." line from "Serotonin" too, I like it mainly because it sounds nice, (all the lines in that song are good like that I think) but also because I saw it as referring to that dispirited feeling that comes with depression of obstacles or some barrier preventing you from getting out of bed.

I love your interpretation about "Brilliant Trees" being about his family. It's such an interesting and completely understandable view - though it's not one that occured to me.

I have read David say that he prefferred people to draw their own meanings to his lyrics too. I guess it was his intention to not talk about what the songs mean and that got lost along the way. I can understand why it would be, I mean in reality there are only so many questions you can be asked in an interview to promote an album. What's it about? is going to be one of them.

I can understand the artist's desire for control over the interpretation too but yeah it is doomed to failiure. In my opinion our interpretations cannot be wrong just because the author does not share them. I mean I don't see how meaning can be a totally objective or controllable realm.

So the writer may have intended their writing to mean something but does that mean they were successful? To me potentially even the author is merely stating their intention or making a guess at meaning when they say what a song is about.

Meaning belongs to the audience upon seeing/hearing it to me.

So given that why is it that the writer's guess automatically more valid than another?

As long as you can support your view then it is valid.
LOL at my two cents style rant...
This is such an interesting topic
"This island of blue
Where life clings to your hands
Like water and sand
Will loose it's way when you're gone"
tallulahtaurus
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Melaszka on Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:08 am

untitled, please do come back with more of your fantastic insights (you definitely weren't rambling)

His work is Gestalt theory in practice. The whole is very much more than the sum of the parts.

Yes, isn't it? I think that's what I was trying to say but you put it 100 times better.

If I can’t connect to the lyrics, then the song will never be a favourite. This is why I have so much trouble with DBOAC.

For a long time I wondered if the problems I had with DBOAC lyrically came back to the fact that it's such an overtly religious album, and I'm an atheist. But then I realised that you can't get much more overtly religious than "Forbidden Colours" or "Every Colour You Are", and I love both those songs. What's missing from much of DBOAC for me, both lyrically and musically, is a sense of struggle or quest. It's all a bit one-sided - life with Ingrid is unquestionably fantastic, his guru is unquestionably a positive thing in his life. Whereas FC and ECYA take the form of an angry debate with God, which makes them far more dynamic, IMO. Even his best songs about depression are not static songs about being depressed, they're constantly evolving songs with a journey about struggling not to be depressed. Does that make sense?

As beautiful and lyrically clever as Snow Borne Sorrow is, it lacks a bit of mystery for me, which means it does not get played as often as it might.

I'd agree as far as the personal songs go (I think SBS, in comparison with Blemish, suffers a great deal from having been released after DS broke his silence in interviews about the divorce - e.g. there's little room for interpretation of what the song "Snow borne sorrow" itself is about!). I constantly change my mind about this album, but on the whole I find it a little too straightforward and obvious musically, as well.

I do very much like the political emphasis of the lyrics on SBS, though. And I do think it's clever the way he's seamlessly interwoven songs about breaking up with an American wife with songs about falling out of love with the US culturally and politically.

Posted by tallulahtaurus
I can understand the artist's desire for control over the interpretation too but yeah it is doomed to failiure. In my opinion our interpretations cannot be wrong just because the author does not share them. I mean I don't see how meaning can be a totally objective or controllable realm.

So the writer may have intended their writing to mean something but does that mean they were successful? To me potentially even the author is merely stating their intention or making a guess at meaning when they say what a song is about.

Meaning belongs to the audience upon seeing/hearing it to me.

So given that why is it that the writer's guess automatically more valid than another?

As long as you can support your view then it is valid.

I second that emotion! Tom Stoppard once said that when he reads literary interpretations of his own plays he often feels like a man going through Customs who's asked to open his suitcase and, to his utter astonishment, finds it's stuffed to the seams with heroin. "I accept it's there, but I honestly don't remember packing it."
Melaszka
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby godisinthesilences on Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:05 pm

i'm only going to briefly comment on this... i can't actually find the time to fully read such long comments.

For me David's lyrics are the most important element and secondly his vocals and thirdly the music backing it all up or blending with it all, however you'd like to view it. I see him as an artist on many levels and not just a musician, singer or song writer. I'm a big fan of his views and ways of seeing things in all areas. I don't always agree with directions his path takes him on, but i have a huge appreciation for his investigating subjects that fulfill him and then sharing it with us as fans.
When I read his lyrics outside of the scope of the music I do feel I interpret them differently, but I think because I am getting them written in the pattern his mind saw them in. I'm experiencing them more as a poem that i place a setting and occassion around.
godisinthesilences
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Simonp on Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:53 pm

1. How much do David's lyrics add to your enjoyment and appreciation of the songs?

I've always rated Sylvian highly as a lyricist. He's one of the few songwriters who obviously takes great care and time in writing the words. To me his lyrics are almost as important as his music

2. Do you think Sylvian's lyrics have enough literary merit to work as poetry, when written down and they don't have the music to support them?

Not sure. Sometimes yes, SOTB for example. The Blemish lyrics I also think work well as poetry.

3. What, for you, are the high and low points of David's lyric writing? Are there any lines, images, turns of phrase etc that just seem to you to be beautifully written? And are there any that seem a bit...er...less good?

When David gets it right, he gets it right big time. Some of his lyrics are incredibly beautiful "Wave" and "Orpheus" spring to mind. Sometimes I think there is also great humour in much of what he writes. Favourite lines? "Is our love strong enough?" "..like the waves without a sound, I'll never let you down, I'd tear my very soul to make you mine"

Duffers? He's written one or two. I think Jean The Birdman sucks
MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON MANAFON
Simonp
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby girl about town on Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:45 pm

This may sound quite contentious, but it is not meant to be, I feel that DS's lyrics and music (but especially lyrics) are at their most poetic, touching and profound during his less happy periods of life. I am prone to agree with Simonp about SOTB and Blemish being his most poetic works and as you probably are all aware these were recorded during difficult times for him. The "left bank poet" comment was made just as Japan were starting to achieve recgnition in England in the early eighties.

I personally like to think of him as a kind of modern William Blake (without the controversy!) No matter what title he has poet, artist, creative, GOD :wink: his huge talent can not be denied.

Waterfront is one of my particular favourites also.
"These are years with a genius for living"

Mr Sylvian
girl about town
Regular
Regular

Postby anortherncod on Fri Feb 01, 2008 10:37 am

This is a little off topic, so don't shoot me, but I would be interested if girl about town could elaborate on William Blake's controversy. One of The Verve's songs is based on a poem of his. (All together now: "I wander lonely stre-ets, behind where the old Thames does flow".)

Also, generally, I do think a lot of songwriters produce their best work when down in the dumps.

Natasha
Friedrich Nietzsche
anortherncod
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Next

Return to Solo Work