24.11.14 / There's a light that enters...

From Brilliant Trees through Died In The Wool...

Re: 24.11.14 / There's a light that enters...

Postby missouriman on Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:07 pm

Tin Bird wrote:NK: Your singing has also undergone a transformation. What is your relationship with your voice? How did it change over the years?
DS: I find it impossible to discuss my voice. Possibly detrimental, certainly undesirable.
NK: "Manafon" is cutting; it's the words of a man who is either done for and is about to flip a switch, or has purposely dismantled his reality. Were you trying to sing yourself out of that mindset, is the audible pain a productive suffering, a black and bitter but fertile soil? Or is "not leaving a trace" an earnest goal?
DS: I thought it was an album best released posthumously.

That last sentence is haunting is it not? Oh how I can relate...but oh how I wish I could remind David how much joy and light and beauty he has brought to this world with his voice and his music. His life has had worth and impact. He is loved, truly loved by so many...would be a shame if he did not know this.

It seems David is maybe undergoing a real change again. Those intensely personal problems he had seem to be behind him now. The divorce, the move back to England, the relationship change and voice problems all seemed to set him on a downward spiral. His postings on his Facebook page were sporadic and often stuff appeared and disappeared within days like he was struggling to find his ground. The largely positive reaction to the new work hopefully encourages him to move forward. If he sings he sings. If he doesn't then he doesn't. I am not going to slag him off for stuff he cannot control. David has been good for me these nearly 35 years I have had the pleasure of knowing of him. I almost wrote him off a little while ago. The sound of the crowd etc. Screw the crowd now. The man is working again and that is all that matters to me.
missouriman
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Bern on Sun Nov 23, 2014 5:06 am

A worrying post by Missiouriman certainly for Mr S, is he not going to expand on it and explain what he knows and where he discovered it, otherwise other than the shock value I wonder why he posted it
Bern
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby javier on Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:32 am

There's a new review at:
http://www.thesundaytimes.co.uk/sto/cul ... 485207.ece

But unable to read it without a paid subscription. Pay just to read one article? Fack off.

Could someone with access please share the review?

Thanks in advance.
javier
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby silentwings on Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:25 am

Here's the review - it's the Sunday Times 'Album of the Week'

Great recognition for a thought provoking piece, which I have been listening to a lot since release.

ALBUM OF THE WEEK
DAVID SYLVIAN
There’s a Light That Enters Houses with No Other House in Sight
Samadhisound
Generally, the idea of being “lost in music” refers to being propelled away from the cares of the world by the hypnotic beats of the dancefloor. Sylvian offers a truly immersive musical experience that is very, very different. Actually, that’s not enough “verys”. It’s very, very, very, very different: a long-form musical piece in which a delicate but fairly consistent layer of piano is interrupted by bursts of electric guitar, sonic manipulation and the deadpan voice of the Pulitzer-prize-winning poet Franz Wright, reading works from his 2011 collection, Kindertotenwald. Given that the title loosely translates as Forest of Dead Children, and Wright has terminal lung cancer, we might expect the work to be heavy going, but it’s pretty, spacious, wry and often funny. Wright begins with a poem about when he had a wonderful idea for a poem, but couldn’t be bothered to get out of bed to write it down; elsewhere, he writes “words too small for anyone to read”; and, at one point, asks, “To your entire satisfaction, has anyone ever described the look of love? Mine, neither.” ME
“Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion.” att to Jack Kerouac
silentwings
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Blemished on Sun Nov 23, 2014 7:47 am

Thanks for posting that - fantastic review for David in a very prominent UK sunday paper. You can't miss it on the page, as you can see below!

Blemished
Site Owner
Site Owner

Postby Foales Arishes on Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:04 am

Chad will be horrified!... bloody chump reviewer :smt005

Well done David.. it might not be my favourite release of his, but its great to see the work, and artist, being recognised in such a positive light.

I wonder if there there are other reviews, as the official release is tomorrow.

Bern wrote:A worrying post by Missiouriman certainly for Mr S, is he not going to expand on it and explain what he knows and where he discovered it, otherwise other than the shock value I wonder why he posted it

Does he not expand in the post above, unless I'm missing the point?... which could well be the case :oops:

I did wonder if he was talking about an undisclosed medical condition, but think it actually relates to his emotional state, and detachment from being a singer. Much as I like his instrumental work, it would be a great loss if he never sang again.
Foales Arishes
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Tin Bird on Sun Nov 23, 2014 8:32 am

Agreed. And while I love me some minimal arrangements (and I do)(Maria, Ghosts, A Fire in the Forest...all brilliant!), I also have a soft spot for lush, ethereal, organic sounding songs...and from Tin Drum-Brilliant Trees-Secrets of the Beehive-Dead Bees on a Cake-Nine Horses...Sylvian created some of the greatest arrangements of any pop music for his awesome baritone croon to reside in. I do not long for the past in the sense that I want him to go back and do that again...it's just those albums did have a thread of continuity and they were what I fell in love with to begin with...I would love it if he would: include Steve Jansen's drumming, have a bass line now and then, infuse the electronic improv stuff into the song rather than have the entire lyric float above it. One can hope right? I did think Do You Know Me Now? was terrific and a good jumping off point for new work...a bit more fleshed out, possibly with other musicians (bass, horns, strings...etc) and it would really work for me.
When I cannot sing my heart...I can only speak my mind...
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby missouriman on Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:41 am

[quote="Bern"]A worrying post by Missiouriman certainly for Mr S, is he not going to expand on it and explain what he knows and where he discovered it, otherwise other than the shock value I wonder why he posted it[/quote

I think I did explain later. Definitely not going to post lurid details on a public page. Like I said some know and most do not. I'd imagine that will remain the case. I am just glad to see David is over these tribulations and refocused.
missouriman
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby Tin Bird on Sun Nov 23, 2014 10:25 am

For what I can see you explained with, "Those intensely personal problems he had seem to be behind him now. The divorce, the move back to England, the relationship change and voice problems all seemed to set him on a downward spiral."

I understand all except the "voice problems" part...not asking at all for any personal lurid details...just want to know in general to what you are referring to here...? It sounds as if you are suggesting that he has had some kind of health issue that damaged his vocal cords or something. if that is the case, I am unaware of it and certainly would want to express concern and sympathies...etc. Of course, though, if this is something that David would prefer be kept private, than by all means please do so.
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby javier on Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:03 am

Tin Bird wrote:NK: Your singing has also undergone a transformation. What is your relationship with your voice? How did it change over the years?
DS: I find it impossible to discuss my voice. Possibly detrimental, certainly undesirable.
NK: "Manafon" is cutting; it's the words of a man who is either done for and is about to flip a switch, or has purposely dismantled his reality. Were you trying to sing yourself out of that mindset, is the audible pain a productive suffering, a black and bitter but fertile soil? Or is "not leaving a trace" an earnest goal?
DS: I thought it was an album best released posthumously.

That last sentence is haunting is it not? .

Haunting indeed. But where is this interview from? Who is NK?
javier
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby Tin Bird on Mon Nov 24, 2014 12:31 pm

Can't quite recall...I was searching for an interview where he talked about not practicing his singing and I came across this...it was a rather lengthy and detailed interview.
Tin Bird
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby silentwings on Mon Nov 24, 2014 1:22 pm

The interviewer is Natalia Kutsepova and the piece is 'Witness and Participant'. It's available on the texts menu at DavidSylvian.com
“Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion.” att to Jack Kerouac
silentwings
Everything & Nothing
Everything & Nothing

Postby kitaj on Mon Nov 24, 2014 7:23 pm

I wouldn't make too much of all this. It's all conjectures and projections.
kitaj
Obsessed
Obsessed

Postby fubiria on Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:04 am

Anyone knows something about the download only versión? wasn't it going to be available the 24th? the web talks about 3 editions (limited deluxe, digipak and digital download) but I only find the possibility of buying the digipak. I understand that the limited deluxe edition is sold out but, how can I get the digital download?

My first post here so let me say hello to everybody (Chad included :lol: )

Huge Sylvian fan, not very much into the latest vein...

Best regards
fubiria
Noob
Noob

Postby fubiria on Thu Nov 27, 2014 6:27 am

Well...my second post.
Finally I found it in iTunes. I didn't see it yesterday, but probably by mistake.
I have bought it and it comes with no digital booklet!

Has anyone seen the digital booklet?

Best regards
fubiria
Noob
Noob

PreviousNext

Return to Solo Work